2003 Dodge Ram 2500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 2500:

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments

Feb 132016

Ram 2500

I was letting my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins warm up in the driveway when RPM suddenly jump to 3000 for a couple of seconds after that I left to go to work I was driving down a city street going 30 miles an hour after the transmission shifted into 3rd gear the truck automatically accelerated as if I was pushing full throttle and then let off when I hit the brakes, then I had no throttle response I pulled over shut the truck off started it back up and then had throttle response again the check engine light was now on. On my way to autozone to get my codes read it did it one more time where it accelerated by itself I hit the brakes and it stopped accelerating and after that I lost throttle control as in a "dead pedal". this is a huge safety concern if you're coming up to a stop sign or stop light as the truck may accelerate on its own into a bystander or another automobile. I think recall action needs to be taken place

- Anoka, MN, USA

Jun 302012

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph and attempting to brake, the vehicle hesitated to come to a full stop. The contact released the brake pedal and the vehicle accelerated independently. The electronic throttle control warning light was also illuminated. The vehicle was inspected by a mechanic who advised that the failure was related to the electronic control throttle. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue however no further assistance was provided. The VIN was unavailable. The current and the failure mileage was 168,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 202012

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab. The contact stated that the vehicle was hooked to another vehicle in order to jump start the vehicle when the vehicle unexpectedly accelerated in revere and crashed into a building. The crash caused no injuries and the police were not contacted. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired and the VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 178,000 and the current mileage was 178,500.

- Towanda, KS, USA

Nov 222010

Ram 2500

Traveling home from work on I-65 near elizabethtown, ky when all of a sudden my vehicle went to 90 mph within seconds. I first tried to hit the brake to take off the cruise, that did nothing, I then pushed in the clutch and the engine screamed and the speakers blew, still going 90 mph I manually turned off the cruise and that slowed it down. There is a recall, but Dodge/Chrysler will not honor because the ECM needs replaced not reprogrammed. Dodge wants $3,473 from me to fix. My truck according to Dodge had the recall done, but obviously the problem is not fixed. I don't want to die or kill someone if my truck goes out of control again. I don't think it should matter if it needs reprogrammed or replaced. A recall is a recall and admits to a problem. This recall refers to vehicle speed control recall#69118 called Chrysler 18007638422 spoke to brian BO52 and local dealer swope Dodge in E-town they ran a test to find the problem which is the ECM needed "replaced". this would not need replaced if the speed control worked properly. Thank you

- Upton, KY, USA

Aug 062003

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

I've had this since the Dodge C02 recall a while back. Happens maybe once a week, maybe twice, but not often enough to reproduce at the dealer. Here's the deal: You are accustomed to applying a certain amount of throttle to the vehicle during launch to maintain rpms. The engine runs up to 2000-3000 RPM when you expect it to be around 1200. The computer seems to be fueling up for launch, but does not when the rpms come up. After 5 seconds or so, it will suddenly "realize" that it made the mistake and starts to fuel, when you then have to push the pedal down quite a bit to maintain the rpms. I have had several close calls. Chrysler tech group can not reproduce problem so they are refusing to fix it. This problem will eventually result in an injury, as it is getting more severe as time goes on. Other users are reporting the same problem. For details please see the following thread

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Nov 062003

Ram 2500

When vehicle is in park and while idling it shifts into reverse. Also, vehicle accelerates on high. Then, it begins moving backwards and stops, once it comes into contact with an object.

- Boulder, CO, USA