2.0

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 2500:

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012006

Ram 2500

Dash cracked and falling apart and falling into the defroster ducts. Plastic parts have jammed the heater/defroster/air conditioning controls/flappers

- Morven, GA, USA

Feb 112014

Ram 2500

Dashboard cracked. First the little piece by the front windshield just fell apart. We replaced that and now the big dashboard is cracked all the way through. We were just driving on the freeway and it just cracked.

- Cypress, CA, USA

May 152015

Ram 2500

Takata recall was informed early last year via recall notice about the issue, when I contacted Dodge to get service they informed me that the parts were not available. I inquired about the safety of driving and they commented..if you don't feel safe you should not drive the vehicle. That is a poor answer for a $400.00 vehicle. Another issue that is a real safety matter even though denied by Dodge is the dashboard on the truck is a hazard due to chunks that fly at you due to the breakdown of the inferior plastic that was utilized...according to a former service manager @ Dodge. I went to Dodge and they stated it was poor maintenance and had I asked during my warranty would of covered a portion of the repair. How is this poor treatment when you google the issue and thousands of comments appear on this matter? below it requests the date, I am unsure of the exact date just recall it being early last year

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Nov 082008

Ram 2500

Cracked dash could be dangerous in accident fly debris or if air bag goes off this is potentially dangerous to me and my passengers

- St Charles, MO, USA

Jan 012012

Ram 2500

The dashboard of my Dodge Ram has cracked in many pieces and is falling into the floor. My dash has actually cracked so bad it is in 4 different pieces just supported by a couple screws and metal braces. More falls off and bigger pieces come apart every time I drive it. This is ridicules!!

- Millersville, MO, USA

Mar 012008

Ram 2500

Dashboard is cracking and breaking apart. I know if many Dodge Ram's that have the same problem. This is not cosmetic as Dodge claims but is a defect in materials, workmanship, or both. The cracks seem to just appear. I have not noticed it happening while driving.

- Kendalia, TX, USA

Jun 152012

Cracked dash

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 272014

Ram 2500

This 2003 Dodge 2500 has a cracked and crumbling dashboard while driving pieces of the dashboard fly into the air and hit the driver and passengers in the face. This happens when I have the windows down while driving. The reason I have the windows down is because the air conditioning doesn't work and I can't get it fixed because no mechanic will take apart the dashboard because it would have to be replaced if it is taken apart.

- Bullhead City, AZ, USA

Dec 292012

Ram 2500

The dashboard on my 2003 dodge2500 started cracking with nothing ever touching it. Pieces of my dash are now falling into my under compartment from intersecting cracks. I've never seen a dashboard do that in my life. My fear now is that if I get in an accident that shards of plastic may be thrown everywear. Or that the recall of the air bag in this model may go off throwing shards of plastic everywhere as well. This truck was over 30,000 dollars, you would think Dodge could give you a dashboard that didn't disintegrate for that much money.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Jun 012010

Ram 2500

In the past few years air bags have been the Focus of the largest safety recall in the nation, if not the world. The problem is that small sharp pieces of metal or plastic can act like shrapnel in the case of an accident when the air bags deploy, showering the occupants with possible deadly debris. A similar situation exists with the dash of the 2003 Dodge Ram. Made of an inferior plastic, the 2003 dash begins to crack, splinter and disintegrate leaving unsightly holes. The holes are not merely cosmetic, they are created by the plastic dash cracking and creating sharp plastic shards which could act very much like the shrapnel from the air bags. The problem is potentially much greater as the cracked and hole ridden dash no longer prevents objects from falling into the dash and getting lodged behind the instrument panel. This has the possibility of causing a short circuit which could result in a fire or even inadvertently and unexpectedly turn off the vehicle, which coincidently is also another major recall issue (GM ignition).

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Mar 202012

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

Since I purchased this vehicle in 2012, the dash board has been so severely cracked that there are sharp edges exposed. The previous owner had a carpet dash cover on the dash. Directly above the passenger airbag the lip of the dash is cracked from the airbag all the way to the windshield. I am afraid of that cracked piece being projected by the airbag during an accident and injuring a passenger. All of the cracks are straight lines, most running front to back. This indicates that it was inferior plastic or manufacturing process that caused the plastic to crack this direction, or that the dash is not properly supported underneath. Plastic cracks from sun damage tend to be "spider web" type of cracks....updated 09/22/15 updated 12/11/2015

- Somis , CA, USA

Jan 012012

Ram 2500

The dashboard of my 2003 Dodge Ram is falling apart. It has to many cracks to count and pieces are falling off the dash and into my lap while driving. I am scared that these cracked pieces will fall off and puncture my skin and cause damage to my health. I have contacted my dealer and they tell me its to bad the vehicle is out of warranty. It is to expensive for me to replace. I just don't want to have to take legal actions when I get injured by flying debris created by Chrysler inferior product!

- Millersville, MO, USA

Apr 282011

Ram 2500

The dash board developed it's firt crack in may or April of 2011, since then it continues to crack. If it continues to crack I fear that small pieces will dislodge which may create a hazard for any occupant in the vehicle. Such as a piece lodging in their eye and possible loss of eye sight.

- Fort Mohave, AZ, USA

May 262012

Ram 2500 6-cyl

I purchased the truck with 124,000 miles and noticed the dash was cracked on my drive from Tennessee back to Florida. It makes noise, looks like crap, and keeps me from setting anything on the dash board. This is something that is veryyyyyyyyyyyyy common on Dodge, if not a right of passage. They need to address the issues and step up and take care of Dodge owners. Dodge, you were cheap on the manufacturing, now you need to make it right.

- Odessa, FL, USA

Jul 012009

Ram 2500

Dash cracked and falling apart. Started with one crack and now have multiple cracks and is falling apart. Pieces may cause injury in the event of an accident.

- Winchester, OH, USA

Jun 212006

Ram 2500

The first occurrence was at 20000 miles, (death wobble), it did not happen for another year. Since then it has gotten more frequent, virtually every time I get on the highway. I have upgraded steering linkage to 09'.,new track bar, steering dampner, ball joints and also the gearbox frame brace w/pitnam arm bearing kit. I still have the death wobble. I now have around 58000 mi. I love my truck, just not the wobble, I would not feel right by selling it like this.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Feb 172010

Ram 2500

Noticed large crack on dashboard, then covered dash with a dash mat and started noticing multiple cracks

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 012010

Ram 2500

Dash has cracked from windshield to top of airbag, passenger side left of airbag. Now hole in top of dash the size of golf ball and dash constantly creeks and pops while driving.

- Bullhead City , AZ, USA

Nov 222010

Ram 2500

Traveling home from work on I-65 near elizabethtown, ky when all of a sudden my vehicle went to 90 mph within seconds. I first tried to hit the brake to take off the cruise, that did nothing, I then pushed in the clutch and the engine screamed and the speakers blew, still going 90 mph I manually turned off the cruise and that slowed it down. There is a recall, but Dodge/Chrysler will not honor because the ECM needs replaced not reprogrammed. Dodge wants $3,473 from me to fix. My truck according to Dodge had the recall done, but obviously the problem is not fixed. I don't want to die or kill someone if my truck goes out of control again. I don't think it should matter if it needs reprogrammed or replaced. A recall is a recall and admits to a problem. This recall refers to vehicle speed control recall#69118 called Chrysler 18007638422 spoke to brian BO52 and local dealer swope Dodge in E-town they ran a test to find the problem which is the ECM needed "replaced". this would not need replaced if the speed control worked properly. Thank you

- Upton, KY, USA

Oct 282009

Ram 2500

Driving in freezing fog and defrost would not work. It does not work any of the time. Saw dealership who refused to fix defrost even though it has been known since 2003 that the defrost in the Dodge 2003 pickup has a faulty component.

- Bonanza, OR, USA