2003 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 2500:

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Dec 232011

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

While driving my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 down the highway and I will hit small bump, and the truck will violently shake and I am unable to steer the truck. The "death wobble" makes it impossible for me to steer during the shaking and the only way to regain control of the truck is to try to brake and not crash. This first started on 12-23-11 and has happened about 6 times since then. The death wobble occurs at speeds as slow as 40 mph. It is extremely dangerous due to my inability to steer when the truck shakes so violently. I have researched this and there are more people with this same problem and there appears to be no fix. The tires shake side to side and the inside of the cab of the pickup is vibrating violently.

- Laurel, MT, USA

Nov 212011

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

I drive to work on a highway 5 days a week and started to have lots of vibration and it only occurred at higher speeds and would clunk. Turns out both U-joints for the rear drive-shaft had started to fail and were allowing unwanted movement. After replacing the U-joints the truck was fine for a few weeks then I heard squealing of metal on metal contact and there was a slight wobble. Took it to a shop and they said the hub bearings were shot and were moving so much as to allow the wheel to move. After replacing the bearings the truck was fine for about a month then the wobble was back and the tie-rods for the steering linkage were bad, so replaced the steering linkage with Dodge new setup since it was hard to find the original one that came on mine since there is a recall on it. With the new steering linkage I got it aligned and it was good for a week and drove straight and no problems. Then I hit a pothole at 55mph while going to work and I got massive wobble in the steering so much so that the steering wheel was trying to go back and forth and I had to fight to keep it on the road and slow down enough to pull it over. I limped the truck to a shop and there was now lots of play in the steering and I could move the wheel 3+ inches before getting the wheel to move. The shop replaced the steering gearbox since the input shaft would move but the output would hardly move at all. Had it aligned again and it still can not be driven over 35+mph or it gets massive wobble. Everything checks out with the steering components and tires since everything is almost new to try and solve this recurring problem, and I have spent $4578 in parts and labor to try and solve this never ending problem. The latest problem is that the HVAC does not work. It seems the doors controlling the temp are not working since the ac works sporadically, the defrost heats my feet, and windows stay foggy.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Dec 022011

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Traveling at highway speeds, upon hitting a bump or groove in highway the truck began a violent shake in the front end. The shaking would not stop until the truck slowed down. This has happened multiple times and the shaking is violent enough to possibly cause a crash. Through internet research I have seen this issue commonly called the "death wobble".

- Matamoras, PA, USA

Nov 032009

Ram 2500

Dodge death wobble as its called by most, violent shakes in the front end put me in a ditch. I put up with it for about a year but kept getting worse called Dodge and took it to a dealer which in turn charged me $150 to tell me nothing was wrong. Took corrective safety actions myself ordered new front end parts $750 from Dodge fixed problem with local mechanic. They are aware of it but really do not want to address the issue if at all possible.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Jan 152010

Ram 2500

While driving at 65 +speeds and hitting a bump in the road lost steering wheel control. I called Dodge recall hotline and was told my vehicle was not part of the recall. I am fearful driving this truck due to this problem. This happens every time as I have to do freeway driving in order to go shopping..I contacted the dealer where I purchased it and they never answered my inquiry..

- Golden Valley, AZ, USA

Jan 032012

Ram 2500

Well have you heard of the "death wobble!!!"???"" google this and it will tell you exactly! my husbands truck hops at 70 mph on the freeway almost causing a huge accident! why the hell after all the complaints nothing has been done with this issue! thousands of people are talking about this online!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Hall, MT, USA

Mar 082005

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

In 3/05 began to wobble in front end when traveling at higher speeds. Assumed tire and alignment issue, tires replaced computerized wheel balance & front-end alignment. 8/05 vehicle in for tire rotation wheel balance and alignment periodically when traveling higher speeds continued wobble. 4/06 rotation and alignment done again. Wobble continued periodically at higher rates of speed, corrected self if you slowed down and resumed travel. 1/07 wheel balance, tire rotation and alignment done. In 07 wobble continued, end of 07 occurred more frequently. 1/08 Goodyear found steering stabilizer needed to be replaced. Service performed along with new tires, wheel balance and alignment. Advised this should take care of the wobble. End of 08 wobble began again. 5/09 truck in for tire rotation, wheel balance and alignment. 6/09 wobble continued truck repaired at sunrise auto all upper and lower ball joints and axle seal replaced and alignment. 9/09 truck recalled for steering linkage done at deland Chrysler 9/10/09. 5/10 tire rotation wheel balance and alignment done as wobble continued periodically at higher rates of speed. 11/2/10 wobble increased truck to steve's auto and had U-joint, shocks and stabilizer links replaced. Wobble continued to occur periodically. 2/26/11 replaced shocks again with heavier duty shocks balanced tires. Wobble continues. 3/9/11 replaced right front hub assemble. Wobble worsening - 10/11 son-in-law was using vehicle and wobble so bad almost lost control of vehicle. Took vehicle to tires plus who advised me to take it directly to Chrysler dealer related to "death wobble". immediately to Chrysler was advised they knew exactly what I was talking about stated that Chrysler re-designed steering linkage. Cost $908.24 had to replace my tires as the wobble ruined tires plus another alignment. Appears to have been resolved.

- Lake Helen, FL, USA

Nov 012011

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500, as of this evening I had all the major steering components replaced, at a cost of nearly $2500 to solve what is commonly known as the Dodge death wobble, the first expansion joint in the road, after I pick my truck up, caused my truck to shake violently, and nearly out of control again. This is not the first time this has happened, Dodge wont admit that there is a problem and keeps selling me replacement parts without any resolve. The violent shaking continues. I can not even contemplate selling this vehicle because my conscience wont allow me to put another persons safety in jeopardy please help us!!! Dodge won't!!!!!!!

- Coraopolis, PA, USA

Jul 012010

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

After purchasing my 03 Ram 2500 in June of 2010 I have had continuous problem with the front end shaking violently while driving at speed over 65mph and hitting the smallest bump in the road. I've brought it back to the dealer several times to just be told there is nothing wrong with the truck. They replaced the ball joints in Nov of 2010 after I insisted that something has to be wrong with the front end, but this didn't help. I replace the steering damper and tie rod ends and it didn't help. I ve looked at the forums online and found that I am not the only one with this problem. So what can I do with a truck I owe money on that I need to travel cause of my job but don't feel safe in it" who do I contact"

- Hayward , WI, USA

Aug 232008

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

"death wobble" if the truck hits a dip or bump in the road that is uneven/angle the front end starts shaking so violently the entire truck will shake. The shake is so violent that anything in the truck goes flying throughout the truck. The only way to stop the shake is to hit the brakes and bring the truck to 10-20 mph. There is no control over steering during this shaking as the steering wheel takes two hands all your strength to hold on to. There are no front end parts defective or worn which would cause this issue. The shake can occur at speeds from 30 on up. I have had my truck looked at by a mechanic and there is no cause other that a bad design. Contacted the dealership I bought the truck from and they have not heard of "death wobble" and state they have no complaints. I have replaced ball joints which did not correct problem. Shaking is also becoming more frequent to the point truck can't go on the expressway anymore.

- Warren, MI, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 2500

The contact owns 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that he looses control of the vehicle while driving at any speed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the tie rod and ball joint was replaced, but failure was not corrected. The contact continues to loose control of the vehicle. The manufacturer took a report 21276257 and advised the failure was not recalled. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current 100,000.

- Hersey , MI, USA

Jun 212006

Ram 2500

The first occurrence was at 20000 miles, (death wobble), it did not happen for another year. Since then it has gotten more frequent, virtually every time I get on the highway. I have upgraded steering linkage to 09'.,new track bar, steering dampner, ball joints and also the gearbox frame brace w/pitnam arm bearing kit. I still have the death wobble. I now have around 58000 mi. I love my truck, just not the wobble, I would not feel right by selling it like this.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jan 152011

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving approximately 75 mph the vehicle lost control and began to vibrate back and forth. The contact applied the brakes and the vehicle stopped shaking when the speed decreased to approximately 50 mph. The vehicle was previously taken to an authorized dealer and they were unable to diagnose the failure. The failure and current mileages were 66,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 012010

Ram 2500 8-cyl

I drive a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 with 113,00 miles. While driving at approximately 65mph I hit a slightly rough patch of road. The truck began shaking violently to the point of completely loosing control of the vehicle. This violent shaking could be reproduced any time I drove over a bump in the highway at normal highway speeds. I took the vehicle to a certified mechanic who replaced the shocks, steering dampener and steering box that was leaking. He stated that none of these parts were worn to the point that he felt they should cause the problem that he experienced and termed "an unacceptable safety hazard". the shaking has been reduced with these repairs but not eliminated. The mechanic now feels the ball joints may be the next approach to a fix although these again are not that worn.

- Chinook, MT, USA

Dec 132010

Ram 2500 6-cyl

My 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 P\U truck has a severe shake in the front end, not just a vibration the wheels are shaking side to side violently. I was driving on the interstate, I went over a bridge and where the road meets the end of it, and all of sudden my front end just went of control, I let my truck slow on its own until it was maybe 45-50mph then it went away. I never had this happen to me and I have owned Dodge trucks my entire life. This problem has occurred about 6 times. I am now aware that this is a problem with Dodge trucks going back to the 1990 models. I have read so many stories of people attempting to fix these problems on their own and spending up to $3000 but it's not my responsibility! Dodge needs to recall and fix this problem, before someone is killed or injured.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Sep 172010

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2003 Ram 2500 4X4 with 65000 miles on it. I just started to get the death wobble, my father-inlaw has a 1998 cummins and he has already experienced the death wobble he has tried to replace several parts on the front suspension with no fix, I have been reading alot of forums on the internet with people having the same problems what can be done to get this issue fixed?

- Elko, NV, USA

Sep 112010

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Our 2003 Dodge 2500 is experiencing something referred to on many websites and blogs as "the death wobble!!" this very scary shake occurs when you go over 50 mph or drive on cracked or uneven roads, including paved highways!! Chrysler has not stepped up and accepted the blame and refuses to acknowledge this problem as a recall. Dodge dealerships and a local mechanic have done repairs but nothing fixes it. This vehicle is too dangerous to drive!! we are still making monthly payments on our truck, and can not afford to put anymore money into it!! there are many other Dodge truck owners out there experience this problem! someone needs to make Chrysler take responsibility. I hope your organization has the strength to make them accountable. It is only a matter of time before someone dies... if it hasn't happened already!! here is a link to a blog of other disappointed Dodge truck owners https://www.blogger.com/comment.G?blogid=29790327&postid=1828630666049356082&page=1&token=1284427578344_aie9_bfismzar6xjkp4fe6syt4diq9yfihzyhohz7hmj5_V3gume4Q-oe-uap1fln-ed4qipq0cib884eefvdbmuak4scezcjlbdawgy2T39mb3bju5zpkugcfcya4H0tqbtnodcet91B_alfxrkzvizjsvobaewpiir4pn01Z2lnhyaivcumzq9bjsvyknnxir761wezlnsojlxmvdwfjlcbe8kwy2ochbqegbur7A0oyfvoewdfjkkcvvkgaymu07ym8thcgl1gzjhektbl2V9hlc28K_G1aagdxvv5ufynu2P5ytfb_ft0baauprfkpdfvvciqiztbr9kvbubukd3H4B-sy_ck7ykwlzziilltp6iqi-xotuzsyzfoxtkpqsajy_V7tottukos4nr6yn3atxpexkxxpagdqm-7dwdf70bggwm0atgyslsohrt6-qoidy2igoyyzya5zlowqas2egca3ssxtxjybi15G0wl6ipprlkgs--3fwsl4trz7jmimt3A_Y9gn5mjqnxh8st9uf6kjkso05zbdm42Z04O32oeetmuorfoyloc9N-B_6ikcjwigtk01naqwkw_J_lq3nbywzusljyj3qw-C30M5H8cthq8mztn7B7O2payvy402rhcbovbhzipilgtkwr6odz9jycaulqfeqdtboly3pgiy3G0ql_pahgfabyde4aaxgpjqahqz1jug46wjnblhd88G13dfbaqcqivatq33qvoqgelvtlxs39kkerup0mf5ds47Y9mn8bacwedffqyglnlooiojzjtrvv6sihm2gp6ftvk4jiwkbphopm91yi1Q8K4rlp.

- Germantown, NY, USA

Aug 292010

Ram 2500

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 I have had two different incidents of the steering wheel violent shaking while on the highway. I was very scared and pulled over immediately. When I reluctantly returned to the interstate the truck drove normal. This is a huge hazard to me and other drivers on the road. This needs to be address immediately.

- Grantham, NH, USA

May 282010

Ram 2500

I have a Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 hd that has a severe case of death wobble at only 50,000 miles. All equipment on truck is bone stock.

- Brooklyn Hts., OH, USA

Dec 242009

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl Diesel

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel 4X4. Has a death wobble when I encounter a bump on highway. This wobble almost made me go off the freeway. I have taken it to many mechanics and have spent alot money with no avail. The dealer will give me no answer of how to fix the problem. I do not know whether to contact the B.a.R. or an attorney. I have researched these issues and have found many people with similar issues.

- El Cajon , CA, USA