9.3

1. replace sway bar end-links and/or track bar bushings (2 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 2500:

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments

Nov 072010

Ram 2500

DODGE REALLY TREATS THEIR LOYAL CUSTOMERS LIKE S**T!

- , SST JOHN PLT, Maine, USA

Apr 152009

Ram 2500 2500 4WD Diesel Cummins 5.9L Td

I started to notice the violent shaking around 80k miles whenever I would pass over a transition in the road from the highway to a bridge for instance and then it progressively got worse to the point where I would have to jerk the steering wheel or stand on the brakes to get the wheels under control. Sometimes this would cause me to swerve uncontrollably into the other lane. To date I have taken it to several "shops" if you can even call them that, and here are the results of each visit: Since I had recently put new shocks on, I took it to a 5 Star Dodge Dealership to have them take a look at it, I was told that my front drive shaft was warped and out of balance. $600 later I had a brand new Front Drive Shaft and still had the same front end shaking. The dealership claimed that they were not allowed to road test the vehicle on the highway at highway speeds due to liability issues and therefore could not attempt to duplicate the problem by making the vehicle experience the symptoms. I kept the old drive shaft and took it to another place that does custom fabrication on driveshafts, I asked them to see if it was out of true or out of balance and they told me it was still within brand new tolerances and had mo warpage or out of balance issues. I took it back to the dealership and complained, but they weren't willing to do anything for me because over 90 days had already passed by. I took it to an alignment shop and paid for their lifetime alignment. They did say that it was badly in need of an adjustment and was fixed and I should not continue to experience the problem, if I do, bring it back and continue to use the lifetime package and keep getting it realigned. This still did not fix the problem. With the problem getting worse and worse, I took it to another 5 Star dealership where they told me that my Sway Bar End Links were badly bent and in need of replacement. Not knowing that I could have purchased aftermarket parts, I told them that I would buy the parts from them, and replace them on my own since they did not require any adjustment or re-alignment. $200 later and I have new end links installed and still have an unpredictable front end. Now, I decide to go ahead and replace my front shocks. I buy some nice SkyJackers and install them myself. $60 later, I have new shocks and still a wobble that seems to worsen every day. I talk to a few friends and someone with a Fors truck tells me that it may actually be a belt separating in my tire causing the wobble. Since I knew it was about time for tires anyways, I take it to a tire shop that can get larger truck tires (I can currently run 35's with no lift kit), I asked them to have their alignment guy/suspension expert take a look at it and I give them permission to road trst it after explaining the problem. By now it is not difficult to get the front end to go crazy at all, so I took the service tech guy for a ride. We came back to the shop and he "shook it down" on the rack, told me that I needed to replace the drivers side tie rod end and that my tires were fine. They were able to get the part from Napa next door and put it on while I waited. $250 later, you guessed it, same problem. Next day, I brought it back in and asked them about the busted belt theory proposed by my Ford driving friend. The very same guy that told me my tires were fine the day before, now says "Oh yeah, that's a real common problem because you can't actually see the busted belt, you should probably go ahead and get new tires. $1300 later, I have a new set of Nitto Terra Grapplers, and still have the same wobble. I am broke at this point and only have Mondays off to take care of truck issues. Mondays are now what I call Dodge Trouble Days. The following Monday, I decide to take it to a guy named Vick, a local "shade tree" mechanic. these guys rarely rely on a computer to tell them a code and often really know their stuff, which is probably why they don't work as "Dealership Mechanics" because they actually think. Vic listens to my story, does not even need to do a road test or have me pull into the shop on the clean concrete floor. He simply crawls under thr truck and asks me to shake the truck from side to side, and then says "Yep, come down here and take a look." He proceeds to show me that I have a badly worn top track bar bushing that is allowing about 3/4 inch of side to side play in my front end. He shows me where to look while he shakes the truck from side to side so I can see the movement. He tells me without even going online or to an inventory computer (he doesn't have one) that it is a dealer only part because Chrysler/Dodge did not offer just the bushing, they only sold the entire Track Bar Assembly at a little over $300 bucks, and that I could go online and search for "2003 Dodge Ram Track Bar Bushing" and find several aftermarket manufacturers that sold the bushings for about $30 for both upper and lower as a set and install them myself or he would be glad to show me how for a very small fee. I ordered the bushings online and installed them myself. Problem solved, no more crazy truck bouncing across both lanes of the highway, and all for $30. Why in the world can't a dealership mechanic see this? Are they all crooked and oriented towards making an un-necessary sale? I have to say that after this, as well as several other Dealership Mechanic experiences, I will NEVER take any of my vehicles to a dealership mechanic again. I went back to Vic and gave him $50 for his honesty and expertise, and now he does my oil changes and regular maintenance on all of my vehicles. When and if I need to replace a part, he is more than willing to show me how to do it myself. I hope that any one else experiencing this same problem finds this information useful. If you have basic sockets and wrenches, you can do this yourself for $30. New Tires, Shocks, Front Drive Shaft, Tie Rod End, Sway Bar End Links may not be necessary in all cases. God Bless Shade Tree Mechanics!

- , Columbia/Greenville, South Carolina, USA

Jul 152005

Ram 2500 4x4 Bighorn 5.9L Diesel

front end wheel bounce is severe on my 2003 dodge ram 2500 4x4 5.9 diesel. i find that @ 55mph with any uneven pavement ( bridge transition,bump,pothole,dip) that my truck is about to scare me and everybody around me .The front tires start bouncing up and down opposite from each other until i apply the brakes or get the tires out of rhythm from each other.Either way i have slowed down to 45mph in a 65mph zone.Drivers around me are two lanes over when they pass me . I am looking for the correct answer to this horrible problem. I have redone the shocks to Rancho 5000, New tires-redo on mount and balance still no luck. need answer bad and fast...

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA