2. replace dash (12 reports)
  3. dodge should recall (4 reports)
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 2500:

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 172013

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L

This is a manufacturing problem, and the manufacturer should fix it. Just go to wrecking yard and look at old vehicles. No broken dashes on any truck except Dodge. Terrible and dangerous if you are involved in an accident.

- , Pueblo West, CO, USA

Jun 132008

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

I bought my Dodge around 2008 from a dealer. I used window shade for years. Then it started to crack. Now I have 5 cracks and a hole in my dash. I reported it to a dealer and they said there was nothing they could do. I called Chrsyler Corp, they said that my 2004 was not on the recall like the 2003 was, but they put it in their system that I have a problem. My truck was built in November of 2003 in Mexico. I paid $23000 for my truck and I am pissed at Chrsyler. I will not buy another Chrsyler product again.

- , Tyler, TX, USA

Sep 012015

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L

Had brought truck in for recall then noticed a short time later the dash is cracking. Was this a cause of the tech doing the recall or not?

- , North Port, FL, USA

Apr 162013

Ram 2500 5.9L

I have the same complaint as others do. I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4, that was purchased January 3, 2004. Several years ago my dash began to crack. Today there are cracks throughout, and small chips have broken off. I have taken good care of my vehicle, and plan to keep it for many more years. All I want is for Dodge to replace the dash. That is the only complaint I have with my truck. They obviously realize there is an issue. Thanks

- , Hickory, NC, USA

Jan 022014

Ram 2500 SLT Diesel

Dodge has a recall R25 dealing with airbags. Took mine in and the dash came back worst than it was.

- , League City, TX, USA

Nov 122014

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L

The dashboard has developed straight line cracks in it, a pieces are beginning to fall into the vents, and have a tendency to blow out when the defroster is on and ends up flying into you face. This is very dangerous while driving. If a piece of this plastic was to blow into your eye, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what could happen. Permanent damage to your eye, or permanent damage to your body from a crash. Worse yet, this could put other drivers in danger when you crash and kill some innocent person because plastic has flown into your face. Why should this not be replace but Chrysler? Seems to me like they would not want blood on their hands.

- , Middleburg, USA

Mar 022015

Ram 2500 HD 5.9L Diesel

Dash Cracked at 150,000 miles on 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. A second crack occurred about 2 weeks later. I did some research and it turns out this is a common problem with Dodge Dashboards of around this year. I don't understand why Dodge does not recall this as a safety issue.

- , Black Diamond, WA, USA

Dec 012014

Ram 2500 Slt Heavy Duty 5.7L

My dash started cracking about 2008 just out of warranty. I used some glue to prevent it from worsening. The dash has developed two new very large cracks a few weeks ago.

- , Laurel, DE, USA

May 012008

Ram 2500 ST

our dodge is only 10 yrs old. the dash started to BREAK in to Pieces over 6 years ago. the "cracks" run from front to back and our dash is now 6 pcs instead of ONE. A replacement dash cost over $600.00 and when every penny counts, this is money that was not a necessity to live. It is disturbing that when we work as hard as we do, and we spend the amount of money we did for this truck to be THE vehicles that our family uses on a DAILY basis, the dash should have lasted longer than 4 yrs. We have put a lot of money into repairs that the warranty didn't cover and feel this is one that Chrysler should be responsible for.

- , Douglas, GA, USA

Jul 062006

Ram 2500 4.7L

It is obvious that Dodge does not want to address the cracking dashboard issue yet I believe they are minimizing the danger that is imposed by a cracking dash. My dash is now in about seven parts that will certainly become missiles should I be unfortunate enough to have a collision.

- , la Porte, TX, USA

Aug 272013

Ram 2500 Heavy Duty 5.9L Diesel

Concerned that parts might come loose and Hurt me or someone in my truck.

- , Melbourne, FL, USA

Apr 152010

Ram 2500 XLT 5.9L Cummings Turbo Diese

I have owned this truck since brand new. There is NO reason for the dash to look like a started about 3 years ago and has steadily gotten worse. My wife spent 30years in the Chrysler plant and I know this is not the type of work that she did.

I have heard enough complaints that Chrysler should make good on this and fix the problem.....this is a lack of care, my truck looks like new and runs like new......until you see the dash

Chrysler...........Make it right!!!!

- , Hartselle, AL, USA

Aug 152011

Ram 2500 SL 5.9L Cummins Diesel

We bought the truck brand new. Dash started as straight line cracks after faulty AC was repaired (for the 11th time). Then one day we were returning from a trip, hit a bump and dash exploded, or popped, pieces went flying and a gaping hole left, exposing wiring and other things that the dash protected. This is a safety hazard. Airbags could be punctured while deploying. Grandchildren, or anyone, getting into front seat could cut their hands on sharp edges. Will never buy another dodge again, this was one of many issues we had with this truck and had to fight dodge on each issue to try and get the issues fixed, even when we were still covered by warranty. Dodge does not stand behind their product.

Update from Jun 8, 2015: Got rid of the piece of junk Dodge P/U and bought a new Ford. Haven't had a single problem since.Will never buy a Dodge again. Also had a Durango 2000 and the rear end went out 3 times. Got rid of that one after 1 year.

- , Colorado City, CO, USA

Jun 012010

Ram 2500 SLT

I asked Dodge about it and cost was over $1k. I would think most every truck out there has this problem.

- , Montgomery, AL, USA

Oct 102009

Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9L

Looks like crap. Dodge has obviously know about this way before 2004 and should have fixed the problem. For the price of a truck whats another $100 for the correct material in the dash to make it right. Makes you wonder about their quality control

- , Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Jun 022011

Ram 2500 LX 5.7L Hemi

all at once there was a crack in the middle of the dash. it's as if it was made to only last so long and that was it. we paid enough for the truck and Dodge should fix it

- , St. Cloud, FL, USA

Jul 012011

Ram 2500 SLT Cummins Turbo Diesel

Upon noticing the crack in the dashboard of my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 I went to the Dodge dealer where I purchased the truck to find out if this was a common problem and if so if there were any factory recalls and/or maintenance bulletins regarding this issue. However, the service representative informed me the crack in the dashboard was not cover by the factory warranty and recommended to contact Chrysler.

I contacted Chrysler Customer Services and described the problem to a Customer Services Representative who informed me that he was not aware of any recalls or maintenance bulletins due to cracks in the dashboards of 2004 Dodge Ram Trucks. He claimed to have documented the issue for future reference. However, the Customer Services Representative did not acknowledge that dashboard cracks are a recurrent problem within Dodge Ram Trucks and he failed to offer any assistance to resolve the issue.

- , Miami, FL, USA

May 312011

Ram 2500 SLT 5.7L

Within 3 weeks, there are 3 large cracks on my dash.

- , Lincoln, CA, USA

Aug 042010

Ram 2500 5.9L

As I looked online to purchase a new dashboard (Three MASSIVE cracks), I noticed that this is apperantly a new fashion statement for dodge. They love to honor their loyal customers with garbage. I paid da*n near 50,000$ for this truck, take care of it like my own kid and find that the doctor (dealer) just laughs at the problem. He told me this "happens". Would like to see his face when my foot just "happens" to meet his face. as you can tell I'm really upset.

- , The Woodlands, TX, USA

Feb 082010

Ram 2500 SLT 5.7L

I cannot understand how Dodge can sit back and say they have not heard of this issue. It’s been an ongoing thing for years and has been reported by thousands. I called a local body shop to inquire about aftermarket dashes. They said they do not know of any for the vehicle but that they get hundreds of calls about them. They haven’t been forced to do a recall because it’s not considered a safety issue! Do we have to wait until someone’s dash airbag goes off and a piece of plastic from a broken dash gets stuck through their eye? Chrysler /Dodge needs to stand up and make right on this defect!

- , Crestview, FL, USA