2004 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 2500:

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Jul 112014

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

In July 2014, traveling along a 2 lane highway, we hit a bump in the road and the truck started to violently shake to the point where we had to come to a complete stop on the road. Scared the entire family as we got out to see if we had a tire failure. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Continued on the vacation and had it occur 3-5 more times while in the truck. While on vacation, had the steering damper(stabilizer) and rotated the tires but that did not fix the problem. Upon return home, took it to a non-Chrysler service center as the local Dodge dealer was 3 weeks out on getting the truck in. They replaced both upper and lower tie rods joints, wheel bearings and aligned the vehicle. $2000 approximate cost plus the steering stabilizer and no fix. Took the truck on another extended trip on 4/3 and had it occur again. When I called Chrysler dealer today (4/6), the service advisor was unaware of any problems with this truck and advised me to bring it in which I will do next week. It still has the passenger air bag recall out on it. All previous recalls have been inspected by Chrysler service centers. This is a very dangerous situation and I fear that allowing the truck on the highway dangers not only me and my family but other motorists traveling near us.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Jan 292015

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

Otherwise known as the "Dodge death wobble". the approximate incident date is the last time it occurred because I can't remember when the first time was. I attempted to have this issue resolved/ repaired by Chrysler multiple times just to get the runaround every time. This last time 02/16/2015, they had me driving 30 minutes to their shop, in treacherous driving conditions caused by 5 inches of sleet and snow received the night before. Then they ended up wasting over 3 hours of my time/day by not doing any work at all to my truck the whole time it sat in their shop and tried to make me pay in excess of $575 for any work they was going to do. I had already rebuilt the entire front end in mid 2013 and in 2014 I dumped $10000 into rebuilding the engine because it blew 4 of the 6 compression rings for some reason, I can't afford to rebuild the whole front end.......again. This is a seriously dangerous issue and has had hundreds of complaints about it. There is even a class action lawsuit over it. Chrysler knows there is a problem and has the parts to fix it, so why won't they just do it" doesn't Chrysler care about the safety of their customers"

- Pea Ridge, AR, USA

Feb 132015

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Baker, LA, USA

Feb 072014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received NHTSA campaign numbers: 05V462000 (power train), 09E001000 (steering), 13V528000 (steering), and 14V817000 (air bags); however, the parts needed for the repair were unavailable. While driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel began to vibrate and a loud grinding noise emitted from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the front driver and passenger side universal joint front axles were replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for recall repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Hamilton, MT, USA

Aug 232011

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

Fracture of the pitman arn at the steering box/ had to replace entire steering box/ fracture was found while undergoing wheel aligment/ was only a matter of time before it would have failed. Replace water pump/ 120000 replace rear universal joint for bad bearings/ 121,000 entire engine fan with pulley sheared off while on a trip/ 118000 replaced entire wiper mechanism due to complete failure/122000 poorly engineered vehicle/ wouldn't buy another Dodge lots of safety issues.

- Naselle, WA, USA

Nov 212013

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Approximately 110 miles into a 200 mile trip. I drove over an interstate bridge exp. Joint, when my truck started to shake uncontrollably, I hit the brakes and came to a stop at the far end. After gathering my sanity, got out to inspect what might have failed, but visually could find nothing. I returned to the vehicle and carefully proceeded up the road, to find that the "problem" had ceased. 40 mins later I encountered a similar experience. In both cases, I was thankful there was no other cars behind me. After returning home, I went to the Dodge dealership, where they told me that it was likely a steering stabilizer at fault. I had them do the repair, all the while talking to service about the danger of the situations I had been faced with, and in awe that there were no recalls addressing this issue, seemingly the issue was fixed. Three months later a received a recall for the tie rods in this vehicle, that could fail and result in the situation I had previously. After 10 and a half months of being told there were no parts available to do complete the recall repair, they finally came in and the repair was made. Three weeks after the repair was made, I was traveling the interstate (approx. 11-29-14) I was faced with the exact same uncontrollable violent wobble, that brought me to a stop in the middle of an interstate bridge, where I was narrowly missed by an 18 wheeler in my rear view mirror. These pants wetting, skin of my teeth, near death experiences have forced me to file this complaint. Unfortunately my current finances won't allow me to part with this death trap. I've been to the dealership once again and have been told that the drag link and pitman arm are now the cause of the problem. I'm finding it hard to believe that anyone really knows how to remedy this defect, and they are drawing straws to pick the cure of the week.

- Putney, VT, USA

Jan 012014

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving home one evening and my truck started swaying on the highway and I exited immediately and almost ran into the wall. It somehow straightened out and I limped it to a parking lot which luckily was right there. I saw that my left tie rod had broke off. I called a tow truck and had it taken to a shop. I sent the proper documentation to Chrysler customer assistance and after 3+/- weeks I called and talked to them and they said that I will not get reimbursed! they tried to say that it wasn't a Dodge part that was put on. I explained that it was a moog part that was put on after mine broke. And I tried several times to explain to them that it was a Dodge part that broke. I kept the original tie rod end that broke and have pics of the incident. No matter what I said it didn't matter and I tried to speak to a supervisor and that didn't happen and I still have yet to receive a call back or anything whatsoever. I'm very upset about this especially since they basically told me to bad. Not sure if the conversations are recorded but I hope they are. Needing some assistance on this matter asap please. My recall was N62/NHTSA 13V-528.

- Converse, TX, USA

Nov 012014

Ram 2500

I purchased this truck brand new. In the last year or two we have experienced steering problems. Have had it in for repair. The problem is when you are traveling at 65 mph or faster and for no reason the front end starts to shimmy and vibrate uncontrollably until you slow down below about 40 mph. So far we have avoided a wreck but I am afraid to allow my family to drive the truck for fear this will happen when they are driving and cause a crash. Checking online I find this to be a very prevalent problem in the Dodge trucks called the "death wobble". I hope nobody has been injured or killed due to this problem but I can certainly see how it can happen. I have placed front end stabilizers on my truck to stop the problem to the tune of $900 but it only masks the onset of the problem.. this is a factory defect in the way the trucks are built and someone needs to do something.. soon......

- Solomon, KS, USA

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

It has been over 10 months since I tried to get my vehicle fixed for an extremely dangerous recall where the left tie rod ball stud on my truck may fracture under certain driving conditions. This could cause loss of directional control and/or crash without warning. I do not know who to contact anymore however someone needs to be held accountable for the lack of responsibility that Chrysler is taking. As said before I tried to get this fixed since January of 2014.

- Tuckerton, NJ, USA

Sep 022014

Ram 2500

The contact own a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 hd. The contact received notification for NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering). However, the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The dealer was unable to provide an expected date for the part to become available. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Harrison, AR, USA

Oct 012014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering); however, the parts were not available. The contact believed that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The dealer stated that the vehicle would be placed on a waiting list until the parts became available. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Gilltette, WY, USA

Dec 202006

Ram 2500 8-cyl

For the 3rd time my 2004- 2500 Dodge Ram truck has the death wobble. First time 2006 then second time 2010 and now again in 2014. This is a very dangerous experience to occupant's of vehicle and any vehicles near by. A simple man hole in road or a bridge section will cause the truck to shake uncontrollably. This is no prior warning as to when this will happen. Dodge apparently knows about the problem however the service centers claim there is nothing wrong and that all trucks do this. I have owned trucks my whole life and even another Dodge truck and have never experienced this until this poorly engineered 2004 truck. **please require Dodge to warn all these owners and continue to repair and replace the parts to keep owners safe** my friend had one of these and traded it due to the problem so there for another innocent driver will possible die because they are not aware of the problem. Please please please make Dodge corporation stand behind the product that innocent buyers spent their hard earned money on and now have to fear for their life.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Jul 292011

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

I was driving the truck along hwy 5 in northern California in the fast lane when, going over a bridge, the front end started to violently shake. The steering wheel jerked out of my hand, I slowed down and had to pull over in front of another vehicle. Truck continued to shimmy until I came to a stop. I got out and thought maybe I had blown a tire - anything - while stranded on the side of this major hwy with loaded semis lying by. I could not see anything wrong with the truck. Got back in, it happened again some 50 miles later. I had the suspension checked and a part replaced. It happened again this spring 2014. I was told by the dealer that it was my tires. The tires were nearly new the first times this happened. I replaced the tires and am now told I have to replace other suspension parts that are damaged/worn at only 80K miles. I have had trucks, cars, etc, for decades that never had suspension issues like this even when they had over 130,000 miles. It angers me that everyone has problems with these diesel trucks and the dealers get away with poor suspensions. A week ago, I was on the freeway and saw this happen to a truck in front of me. I watched as the person attempted to slow down while trying to gain control of the truck and had to try to get across 3 lanes of heavy traffic to the side of the road. How many people have been killed by this" injured" I felt badly for them as I know exactly how that felt as they struggled to slow down and get over with semi trucks, cars, etc, fly by them.

- Yelm, WA, USA

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 13V528000 (steering) and stated that the parts were not available. The dealer did not give a specific date when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was also contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the contacts vehicle would receive the recall repairs. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Gaylord, MI, USA

Jun 152014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the front driver's side tie rod fractured without warning. The vehicle veered to the left and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician stated that the front left tie rod needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileage was 123,000.

- Geraldine, MT, USA

Jun 122012

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500.the contact received a recall notification under NHTSA campaign id number 13V528000 (steering however, the part to do the repairs was unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Mount Pleasant, UT, USA

Jan 092014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering); however, the dealer stated that the parts were unavailable for the repair and did not know when they would arrive. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Dickinson , ND, USA

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

This has been recalled and was notified in December 2013, that parts and service would be available at local Dodge/Chrysler dealerships. I have contacted two different dealerships, lewis Ford Chrysler Dodge fayetteville, ar. And everett Dodge in springdale ar. And was added to there list for repair. It is now June and no response so far. This vehicle is used to tow a horse trailer and there is safety concerns. The response from the dealerships, was that they do not have the part and are waiting, so why is it, it can be ordered and available for purchase with no problems by myself.

- Farmington, AR, USA

Feb 042014

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

I received a safety recall notice (N62/NHTSA 13V-528) to have the tie-rod end replaced on my vehicle. I contacted Chrysler and they brought it in to confirm the recall was needed. It was and they put the parts on order. Chrysler supplies my dealership with one set of parts at a time. It takes about two weeks to complete the process per vehicle. I am number 360 something in line to get this repair. At this rate my repair will be completed in about 14 years which I believe is a failure to remedy this defect within a "reasonable time". I am forced to repair the part at my own expense. The notice told me I could submit the receipt for reimbursement but only if I had it repaired already before the recall notice. This seems like a tactic by Chrysler to avoid monetary or legal responsibility for the defect. They told me that they were not telling people not to drive their vehicle but doing so was "at the drivers discretion", releasing themselves from liability if a failure occurred.

- Missoula, MT, USA

Dec 022013

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received the recall notice in December 2013 for NHTSA recall campaign 13V528000(steering) and notified the manufacturer and the dealer multiple times in reference to the recall. The contact was informed that the parts to repair the left tie rod were not available and there was no estimated arrival time for the parts. The failure mileage was 99,000.

- Hightstown, NJ, USA