2004 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 2500:

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Oct 242013

Ram 2500

Vehicle started death wobble, I replaced the entire front end. Dodge recalled parts, now are denying repayment for parts I paid for.

- West Valley City, UT, USA

Nov 282013

Ram 2500

I was on my way to see my doctor in waltham, MA. And I travel the MA.turnpike at 67mph, and every bridge span or bump in the road surface the truck started to shake uncontrollably until I went to the brake down lane and brought the truck to a dead stop. In the 166 miles from my home to the doctor office and back home again I had to stop this truck 15 times. When I brought it to the dealership I had to pay $1,699.31for the damage that was cause by a defective part that no one want to replace under what should be a recall. Chrysler says that because of the year and mileage of the vehicle that it was my problem even though they have redesigned the part that cause this problem in the first place. And even after I pay the first repair bill the truck still had the same problem until the mechanic tighten the bolts on the part. The truck is still handling the same as before it was fix. And because I have had major surgery I will have to travel that road many times before I, M healed. Because I'm on workman comp. I have limited funds to live on and I really worry when I drive that truck as I can't afford another vehicle and Chrysler want to do nothing about it until someone is hurt or dead.

- Springfield, MA, USA

Feb 032014

Ram 2500

2005 Dodge 2500 Ram. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle ball joints, U joints and wheel bearing worn out and needed to be replaced. Also, the exhaust system rusted though and the right tie rod end fractured. The consumer recently received a recall notice, regarding the right front tie rod. However, when he called the about the recall, he was informed to send a copy of the invoice and Chrysler would pay for the previous repair. The consumer was then informed they would not pay for anything, unless mopar parts were used.

- Falmouth, KY, USA

Jan 132014

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

2004 Dodge Ram 2500. Consumer writes in regards to the tie rod recall notice and requests reimbursement for repairs. The consumer stated while driving, the left front tie rod end broke, and he lost steering in the vehicle. The consumer received a safety recall about the problem 2-3 weeks prior, but misplaced it. The consumer called the dealer and provided them with the VIN, and the dealer stated it would be fixed under the recall. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. However, the next the day the consumer received a call from the dealer, stating the repair would not be covered under the recall. The dealer quoted the consumer a cost of $ $470. The consumer authorized the repair. When the consumer arrived home, he found the recall notice, where it did state the left tie rod would be covered. Updated 02/27/14 updated 03/13/14

- Brandon, VT, USA

Jun 012013

Ram 2500

2004 Dodge Ram. Consumer writes in regards tie rods and steering malfunction. The consumer stated he received a recall notice in February 2013. The dealer inspected the vehicle, and stated there was no issue. However, in June 2013, while driving, the vehicle started to shimmy extremely hard. He was able to maintain control of the vehicle, and drove to a repair shop. An inspection revealed the tie rods were so worn, the steering damper broke.

- Washington, NJ, USA

Mar 132013

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that NHTSA recall campaign number: 13V528000 (steering) and NHTSA campaign number: 11V350000 (steering) had surpassed the reasonable time for repair. Both dealer and manufacturer have been contacted. The dealer stated the part would not be available for at least one year and six months. The contact also stated that he `had not experienced the failure described in either recall. Updated 03/18/14 updatd 03/20/14

- Tioga, TX, USA

Jan 272014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact attempted to have his vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering) but was informed that the parts were not available until March of 2014. The contact stated that since the failure was reported in November of 2013, there should be a remedy available before January of 2014. The manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable time for repair. There are no failures at this time.

- South Beloit, IL, USA

Oct 162013

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the front end of the vehicle began to shake violently. The contact stated that he took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that the tie rod needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- 615-863-0348, TN, USA

Jan 012014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: (steering) has surpassed a reasonable time for repair. The dealer stated that the part was not available and that the manufacturer was only issuing one repair kit every 14 days. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced the failure.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 042014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering). The dealer was contacted and stated that the vehicle could be inspected but the part needed for the repair was not available. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Oregon City, OR, USA

Jan 062014

Ram 2500 8-cyl

Recall N62/H46 I received a recall notice in the mail about left tie rod replacement/ inspection. Chrysler has known about this recall since Nov 6th/2013. I called cherry creak Dodge- Aurora co on Jan 3rd/ was told to call back on the 6th. Called back Jan 6th they had no info was told they would call me back in 30 min.. never received a call back. I called again talked to diff person / was told they had no parts to fix problem and they would not be receiving any until end of January/ this is unacceptable, knowing that if this part breaks it could cause major (crash or death without warning ) their words. God help Chrysler.. if this should happen to anyone. This is my daily vehicle, I drive a min 65 miles per day to and from work. Now the mental uncertainty every day for another month. Will this part break ? / Chrysler should have priority parts sent to all dealers to fix this problem before they tell people to call any dealer/ then this fix needs to be done asap...not this half ass effort with those that are employed by dealerships not having a clue as to what is going on..bad bad bad !!

- Aurora, CO, USA

Sep 092013

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

On 3/21/12, I had my truck inspected by a Dodge dealership after getting a recall notice in the mail. It was safety recall L16 left tie rod. The dealership replaced the faulty part with a new part to remedy the recall. It was part # cbrcl160-aa. On 9/9/13, while backing up in a parking lot, the same mentioned "new" part fractured rendering my truck unable to be steered. I am concerned that the replacement part fractured just like the recall said the original part was susceptible to doing. The recall says, "the problem is...the left tie rod ball stud on your truck may fracture under certain driving conditions. This could cause a loss of directional control and/or a crash without warning." This is alarming to me as it potentially put me, my passengers, and other drivers at risk of injury or death had this happened while driving down the highway or around town. After calling Chrysler about this event, they offered me no confidence anything has been done about this occurrence or will be done. I feel my call to them was not taken seriously and the complaint I have with their part will go nowhere. This is a public safety threat in my opinion.

- Edmond, OK, USA

May 092013

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

Traveling on hwy at 55 mph when truck lost all power including power steering. No warning. Steered to side of hwy and stopped. Hwy was under construction and 50 more yards I would have been in middle of road because no shoulder with construction. Truck restarted, and I continued on because in rural area. Truck stopped again in middle of intersection in town about 2hrs later. Dealer could not look at it until next day, so I had to drive home (40 mi) and hope I made it. Brought it back next morning and told needed new lift pump and would keep it overnight. My dealer's service dept is great, and they gave me a ride home (40 mi). No option to install original pump of several hundred dollars. Had to install one in the fuel tank with cost of $1000. Several concerns. One, this seems to be an engineering defect since they now install the lift pump in the gas tank where it should have been all along. Two, they are making a nice sum to replace it and put it in the tank. Three, this is an urgent safety factor because when vehicle shuts down, there is no power steering. There are drop-offs with narrow shoulders (or no shoulder as in my case because of construction) along hwys in my area. I could very easily have gone over or down the side of one of our hills. Four, vehicle can lose power in the middle of an intersection when making a turn in front of oncoming traffic (as it did in my case). Five, there is no prior warning or way to check the potential of this happening. When this happened yesterday and I started researching, it was the first I had heard of it. My truck is serviced regularly by my dealer, and there is no test for this. It was a very scary situation on the hwy and in the middle of the intersection. The fact that I have had the truck for several yrs shows that eventually they will probably all fail and should be replaced before they do.

- Canyon Lake, TX, USA

May 052013

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed that the steering linkage was sheared and fractured. The contact replaced the steering box. The vehicle was previously included in and repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 11V350000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 102,000.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Apr 022007

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

When driving over 60 miles an hour and the truck hits a bump it shakes violently. I have had to stop on the freeway to get it to stop. Have had it in three times for aligment and to have the front end checked. Seems alot of people have the same problem with there Dodge trucks.

- Tremonton, UT, USA

Aug 132008

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

Driving on interstate hit a bump the front end started wobbling bad, had to hit brakes to slow down for it to stop wobbling. Went to three shops replace the stabilizer shock no help, replace the front shocks help for a while and wobbles again, I, am afraid to drive it.

- Spring Creek, NV, USA

Oct 162012

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

I was driving my 2004 Dodge 2500 4X4 diesel pickup at 40-45 mph. As I was going into a curve in the road, I drove over a rough part in the road and the steering wheel started shaking violently back and forth (left and right). It was very hard to control the vehicle, I nearly crashed into a car on one side of me and a bridge railing on the other side. I thought maybe one of the front wheels was coming off the axle or I had a blowout. I slowed down and finally got the vehicle under control. I took it to a diesel repair shop immediately after this happened and they found the steering stabilizer shock leaking, the outer tie rod at the drag link and inner tie rod had some play, and both upper ball joints had some play. They replaced the steering stabilizer shock, the right inner tie rod, and the right outer tie rod. These repairs came to close to $400. They mentioned the "death wobble" problem and suggested we might add additional aftermarket parts to the front suspension to prevent this from happening again. The shop could not do the work right then or I would have had it done. I do not feel safe driving this vehicle now; it took all my driving experience and strength to get control of the vehicle, I do not think a weaker or inexperienced driver could have kept the vehicle from crashing. After looking at all the evidence of this "death wobble" problem on the internet, I cannot believe that the problem has not been solved and the vehicles recalled. People could die and or be injured and probably already have. The accident would probably be blamed on driver error with broken parts blamed on the accident instead of on the broken parts causing the accident.

- Carmichael, CA, USA

Sep 232011

Ram 2500 8-cyl

I was driving down the highway at 70 mph when my truck went into what consumers are calling "the death wobble." The truck started shaking uncontrollably, making it hard to drive. It has continued to do it, and mechanics are having a difficult time finding out what is wrong. My wife and son were in the truck with me when it happened the first time, and I'm afraid for them to ride in the truck now because of it. I shouldn't have to fear driving my main source of transportation...especially when it's not a bad vehicle. I'm noticing numerous complaints regarding this issue.

- Willard, MO, USA

Aug 012012

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

While driving at 55mph and above, hit bump on highway and the front end started to shake violently. The truck almost went into the other lane.

- Easton, PA, USA

Jun 012010

Ram 2500

When going over a bump in the road at approximately 50 mph, uncontrolled suspension oscillation, or "death wobble, " occurs. Once it begins, nearly all steering control is lost. The only thing that can be done at the time is to rapidly decelerate to around 30 mph. This is very dangerous for drivers of these vehicles and anyone near by. I have spent thousands of dollars replacing factory parts with high end aftermarket upgrades and it always comes back.

- Boulder, CO, USA