2004 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 2500:

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Nov 072016

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving 50 mph or more, the vehicle wobbled and swayed from left to right. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing; however, the specific details of the diagnosis could not be provided. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 145,800.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Jul 012016

Ram 2500

Takata recall. Dealer said parts are not available to complete the recall. Also needs steering linkage recall done. Dealer wants to do them all at once.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Aug 122016

Ram 2500

Traveling in a residential road at 30 mph and hit a small bump in the road which caused uncontrollable violent feedback from steering wheel and forced my vehicle into the median. I purchased new shocks and dual steering stabilizer to possibly remedy the problem to no avail. I dropped vehicle at galeana Dodge of ft myers Florida after viewing multiple recalls pertinent to my situation. They called and said that the recall only includes an inspection. Even after my explanation of not being able to drive over 30 mph because of regularly occurring "death wobble" I was told that there is nothing they can do regarding the multiple recalls. I feel that the vehicle is unsafe to drive and the manufacturer, through galeana Dodge, should replace all the fault prone steering components. The Dodge Ram 2500 is currently at the dealer awaiting my pickup.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jul 052016

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 13V5282000 (steering) and 15V313000 (air bags); however, the parts for the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact had not experienced a failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Ona, WV, USA

Jun 012016

Ram 2500

I was driving it home from the dealership, on a back road, going about 40 mph. I hit a bump, the whole front end started bouncing uncontrollably. Like it was hit with a jack hammer! I ended up off the road! as I got out and was looking to see what happened, a guy stopped behind me. He got out, and said he has the same truck with the same problem. He's never seen it happen before, only experienced it first hand. He said it looked like the wheels were going different directions! I didn't see anything wrong tho. The lug nuts and everything were tight.it even passed inspection this morning! I looked online and it said to start online here to document the complaints.

- Deerfield, NH, USA

May 142016

Ram 2500

Front end shakes violently after hitting bump in roadway at normal speeds, almost uncontrollable, whats is Dodge doing top rectify problem, been ongoing for years

- Gallup, NM, USA

Apr 042016

Ram 2500

The tie rod busted multiple times on the truck while turning the steering linkage wobbled to be replaced multiple times I repaired twice and went through all the protocol for reimbursement documents visits to dealership confirmed parts with reimbursement dept spent my lunch breaks day after day being put on hold told I would get call back over and over what is next step right is right and I am very right to be disappointed in the safety of my truck

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 102016

Ram 2500

Driving down the highway on 4/10/16 hit a small bump and truck started shaking uncontrollably with steering wheel shaking back and forth. Stepped on brakes to regain control and was nearly back ended. Once vehicle got below 30 mph it disappeared. Not the first time this has happened.

- Ft. Worth, TX, USA

Jan 202016

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle vibrated and crashed into a ditch. The failure recurred several times. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.

- Freeport, FL, USA

Jan 072016

Ram 2500

I have been on a waiting list with our local Dodge dealership to get my recalls repaired for several months. Every time I call they just say I am on the list and they are too busy. I keep receiving notices in the mail and would like to get these taken care of as there are now several recalls that need to be addressed. I also just found out from the website here that this same dealership did not fully complete my last recall repair. Dealership is allen samuels Dodge in waco, Texas.

- Mart, TX, USA

May 132014

Ram 2500

Takata recall - the contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V770000 (air bags), 15V313000 (air bags), and 13V528000 (steering) however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Mar 072015

Ram 2500

I was driving at about 65mph and suddenly the truck and steering began vibrating and shaking violently until I pulled over and stopped. It felt like all four tires had blown out. I called my local Dodge dealer service department and they told me the problem was most likely the "death wobble". I had never heard this and he also said to change the steering dampener, which I did. This violent vibration has happened again on two other occasions since the stablizer shock was replaced. I will not drive on the highway any longer with my truck due to this serious safety/sterring/suspension issue that very easily could cause serious bodily harm/death due to possible accident.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Oct 272015

Ram 2500

I was driving down I-15 at approximately 70mph and hit a small bump in the road. The front end started bouncing uncontrollably. Had to completely stop in traffic, which almost resulted in a big accident. This is not the first time this has happened. I was in traffic on Monday this week as well and the same thing happened twice at slower speeds and on both of these occasions was almost hit by an 18 wheeler. I am a female and trying to hold on to the steering wheel while it jerked violently back and forth was almost not doable. When is Dodge going to be held responsible for making a safe truck for us to drive" my mechanic told me that just about all of these trucks have this same issue and they won't fix it unless it cracks. This is not safe for drivers anywhere. Is it going to take a serious accident or death to get something done about this problem"

- Layton, UT, USA

Aug 032015

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving approximately 65 mph over a speed bump, the steering wheel vibrated severely. The vibrating stopped when the contact jerked the steering wheel to the left or right. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000.

- Muleshoe, TX, USA

Aug 142008

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 05V462000 (power train), 09E001000 (steering), 13V528000 (steering), and 15V313000 (air bags). However, the parts needed were not available. In addition, the contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the four wheel drive was engaged and the vehicle started to spin out of control. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The transmission was replaced. However, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Bristol, TN, USA

Jan 182013

Ram 2500

My 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 exhibits the classic defective steering linkage issues common to Dodge Ram of this year and results in the "death wobble" when driving over a bump at highway speeds. It becomes nearly uncontrollable until I slow to below 30 mph. The dealership always claims that they either "cannot duplicate" the issue, or that they couldn't fix it if they could duplicate it anyway. I bought the Dodge Ram used in 2013 and have been having this issue ever since. I did not know that this was a common Dodge Ram problem, that has been ignored by Chrysler, or I would not have purchased the truck.

- Sahuarita, AZ, USA

Feb 052015

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that the power steering failed without warning. Upon turning the steering wheel to the left, it locked and had to be turned right and then left to gradually unlock the steering wheel. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V313000 (air bags), but was unable to determine when the dealer would be able to supply the part for the repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 185,000. Updated 8/6/15 updated 09/14/15

- Alton, VA, USA

May 272015

Ram 2500

Deathwobble, traveling down interstate and hit a bump, the truck started shaking so violently and getting progressively worse. The only way to get it to stop was to hit the brakes and slow down very fast. With 18 wheelers all over the road when it happened I was almost rear ended on the interstate. I have never been so terrified of driving a vehicle in my life! my family was with me. Dodge has come out with an "upgrade kit and new heavier duty steering box" hmmmm...wonder why" because they are completely aware of the issue and there is no quick fix. I am told I need to replace ball joints, tie rods, steering box, steering stabilizer and get stiffer shocks and or springs. Meanwhile, $5000 later, it may work? maybe"

- Casper, WY, USA

Apr 012014

Ram 2500

Driving on the turnpike and had accelerated to speed between 65 and 70 mph when right front tire went across seam in concrete roadway. Was not a big bump have passed over it since and before in car and never felt it. Suddendly truck went into an uncontrollable "wobble" very severe with my gearshift moving from side to side as if going to fly off. I had to brake suddenly almost causing a rearend collision and I took up two lanes getting it under controll also nearly having a wreck! this happens often at speeds near the same. I either have to keep it below 50 but lately the speed level is beginning to drop and I can experience the problem at lower speeds! it is dangerous. I dare not allow my wife to drive the vehicle. Also have a problem every time it rains I get leaking from my cab clearance lights.

- Ozawkie, KS, USA

Feb 052014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Bedford, NH, USA