2005 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Ram 2500:

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Apr 202010

Ram 2500 4WD

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 4X4, hemi. I have experience the death wobble very bad, more than 15 times, hit a bump when going anywhere over 85 km/H and the truck will start shaking violently and will not stop until the vehicle has slowed down to 40 km/H approx. Have brought it into Dodge dealership, they have never heard of death wobble and tell me that there's nothing wrong with my truck, I have replaced my tires with load range E tires, new upper and lower ball joint new front axle U-joints, steering box stabilizer, new steering stabilizer shock, replaced all tie rods, new adjustable heavy duty bd diesel tracbar problem still exists, this is very unsafe, im scared to put my kids in my truck, there should be a definite recall.

- Kamloops, 00, USA

Apr 292011

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

Death wobble on 2005, Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 cummings diesel. I was traveling 50 to 60 mph and the front end started shaking violently after hitting uneven pavement. It caused me to swerve in front of a semi tractor trailer who luckily stopped in time as I drove off the side of the interstate. This is not the first time it happened. Last time, approximately 6 months ago, I bought new tires. It seemed to help for a few months but it eventually happened again; once two weeks ago and twice today. The tires have very little wear. Today it ripped out the left front stabilizer link. When I bought the new tires, I told the service technician about it and he said I needed new wheel bearings, upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, right front axle U-joints, and stabilizer links; adds up to over $3,000. This truck only has 150,000 miles.

- Berkeley, MO, USA

Apr 042011

Ram 2500

While backing out of a parking spot, my vehicle suddenly lurched - the left tie rod end had snapped off flush with the ball. This was the updated version of the tie rod end as well as the additional components required for the update (performed in March 2010 as a precaution when a friend's Dodge Ram had the same problem and ran into a ditch). Dodge insists they have never heard of the problem??

- Sheridan, CO, USA

Mar 082011

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving approximately 65 mph over an uneven road surface, the vehicle suddenly began to wobble back and forth abnormally. The contact decelerated to 45 mph and the wobbling ceased. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The current and failure mileage was 82,000.

- Tega Cay, SC, USA

Nov 302010

Ram 2500

While traveling westbound on ga 53 towards rome, ga. As I entered a very long sweeping right curve at 60 mph, I hit a pothole or something in the roadway. It may have just been the raised tar strips from the dot's patching job, they are pretty rough. My steering wheel starting teetering left and right extremely violently at about a 20-25 degrees. Within seconds the entire front end was hopping to and from causing the truck to move in a straight path even though I was in the middle of a right handed curve of a state hwy! luckily there wasn't any traffic in the left-hand lane because that's where the truck went. I applied the brakes hard and slowed to about 20 mph and it just stop and was all normal again! as I was reeling from the experience and hoping it didn't break anything in, under or on my truck, I realized traffic was rapidly approaching from behind so I accelerated quickly and at some point around 55mph it started again! this time I applied he brakes more slowly and it seemed to worsen until suddenly at 30 mph it stopped again. After that I played with my speed and steering to try to get a feel for what was going on with my truck, as I have been hearing of this "death wobble" for several years, but never had experienced it. As I accelerated past 40 mph and turning the steering wheel even as slightly as just changing lanes it would start up again, but if I straightened up the steering soon enough, it would stop before getting to a full blown wobble again. This is extremely scary and I haven't let my family in the truck since. Please do something with Dodge about this before someone gets hurt or killed!

- Silver Creek, GA, USA

Jan 122011

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

2005 Dodge Ram 2500. Has death shake. Steering box stabilizer, duel steering stabilizer, rancho rs 9000 shocks, ball joints alignment radiouse arm bushing, and complete front end checked by respectable ase mechanic. I bought a 2500 truck for hauling trailer, plus just the heavy duty aspect of the pickup. I cant drive over 70mph without worrying. Even worse when pulling a trailer. Dodge needs to do something about this. I ask a Dodge dealer about it and they act stupid, like they never heard of it. The least that Dodge could do is send a bulletin to Dodge dealers on how to fix it a, but I think its a major expensive design flaw, otherwise Dodge would of corrected this dangerous problem years ago. $1900 worth of part and labor later, and still no fix. This is major B.S. this has happened maybe 15 times in the last year and a half I have owned the truck. Would have been alot more if I didn't have to babysit the truck so bad. Its pretty bad when you cant go over 50mph with a loaded car trailer being pulled by a 2500 pickup and have to worry about loosing control so easily. Someone please do something about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Grove City, MN, USA

Dec 152010

Ram 2500

I was driving on a 2 lane asphalt road at approximately 55mph. I was crossing a bridge and when I got to the end, there was a low spot in the roadway. When the truck hit the bump, the front end started shaking violently and uncontrollably and I had to hit the brakes and slow to 25 mph before it quit. On 12/17/2010 my wife was driving this vehicle at 70 mph on I-35. She said she hit an expansion joint in the roadway and the truck started shaking violently and she could not control it and went off into the center median before bringing it under control.

- Osage City, KS, USA

Jul 012005

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 quad. While driving approximately 50 mph, the contact noticed that the steering wheel shook intermittently. The dealer was notified and they advised the contact that there were no recalls. The manufacturer, was informed who referred the contact to the dealer for repairs. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who informed the contact that the pitman arm joints and ball joints were wearing. The vehicle was not repaired. The current mileage was approximately 135,000. The failure mileage was approximately 5,000.

- Arroyo Grand, CA, USA

Nov 142010

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph and driving over a road dip, the steering began to shake violently. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer nor was it repaired. The failure and current mileage was approximately 23,750 updated 02/09/11 the consumer stated the problem was known as the death shake. Updated 05/12/11

- Richland, WA, USA

Mar 112010

Ram 2500

My truck will shake when you hit a bump when your going down the freeway. You can hardly control the vehicle when it happens. The front tires will shake uncontrollably till you get the vehicle stopped.

- Ferron, UT, USA

Jul 182010

Ram 2500

Driving in the fast lane from a concrete roadway over a transition bump to a blacktop roadway, the truck began shaking violently. Using the brakes to reduce speed, the steering wheel shook. The truck had to be completely stopped to stop the shaking of the truck and the steering wheel. This type of incident has happened a number of times in this truck.

- Copperopolis, CA, USA

Aug 042009

Ram 2500

We own a 2005 Dodge 2500 4X4 has only 56,000 on it we get a very bad wobble that causes use to come to a dead stop when going 65 to 70 miles an hour when hitting a bump in road or a uneven area. Replace steering damper did not help had front end looked at by Dodge dealer said everything looks good.

- Bristow, IN, USA

May 182010

Ram 2500 4WD Diesel

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel 4X4 truck experiences frequent sudden loss of control due to front wheel shimmy (death wobble). Received recall notice but dealer stated my vehicle is not included in that recall. There is a tsb (22-005-006)on it but it should be a recall.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Sep 302009

Ram 2500

I own a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 and am constantly experiencing what is known as the death wobble. This is when the front end starts shaking violently, to the point where the vehicle loses all control. This happens every time I hit a bump, pothole, bridge, anything in the road. This is experienced at speeds of 30mph and above. I experience this issue about once a week. I am not the only one with this issue, there are hundreds and hundreds of people online that are experiencing this issue. The issue is none of them know to file a complaint on here to get the ball rolling against daimler Chrysler.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Nov 152009

Ram 2500

While driving over a flyover (onramp) to get onto I-40 my 2005 Dodge 3/4ton truck hit a bump and the front end starting jumping all over the road, the steering wheel started shaking violently. I almost went into the cement wall which could have resulted in a accident and possibly severe injury. This has happened twice since the first incident. This is a real safety concern for me and possibly other drivers on the road.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

May 012009

Ram 2500

Driving on the hwy 5 doing 70 mph long straight away hit a bump and it felt like all my tires popped at once. Very violent shaking through out the whole truck! had to pull over to get it to stop shaking before I lost control and crashed into another car! have spent $2000 trying to fix this problem! a Dodge 2500 2005.

- Hidden Valley Lake, CA, USA

Aug 112009

Ram 2500

Dodge Ram 2500 had a safety recall H46-mopar steering linkage. I want to also report that the steering gear itself is also faulty. I took my truck to a small repair shop in conifer, co that has since August 09 replaced this gear on 6 trucks. Our steering went out catastrophically going over a mountain pass, almost causing our deaths. Chrysler is not covering our steering gear replacement because the recall only covers the linkage. According to the shop owner, he is aware of the H46 recall. I want to make sure to register a complaint about the actual steering gear.

- Morrison, CO, USA

Mar 222007

Ram 2500

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 4X4 (3rd generation Ram). When I hit an irregular road condition such as the transition from a bridge to the road, or a bump or pot hole, at speeds over 45 mph the front end on the truck shakes violently. It causes the entire truck to shake violently and takes a bit of muscle to hold onto the steering wheel to keep it from getting out of control. Dodge has replaced (so far) the wheel bearings three separate times, they also replaced the entire steering linkage (tie rods, control arm ect..), ball joints at my expense to the tune of $1,200. They also recommended I put on a dual steering stabilizer which I did (cost $140). All of this and the truck still had the "death wobble". I then put on dual shock absorbers and filled the tires to 60 psi (10 psi over recommended) and the "death wobble went away. It has been about 8,000 miles since I was able to make it go away and now it is coming back intermittently. I have had this problem intermittently since the truck has had about 38,000 miles. I have several friends with the same problem with their 3rd generation Ram 2500 and 3500 series 4X4"S. Dodge recognizes that there is a problem but does not know what the cause is. They have issued tsb # K15782911. I have had my truck in on this tsb and I believe the work was done but the "death wobble" remained until I put on dual shocks and excessive tire pressure. This condition causes the entire truck to shake violently. My wife has driven off the road when it happened to her. The only way to make it stop is to slow down to a crawl quickly. It is a recurring problem that is happening to a lot of owners. I think the front axles on these vehicles should be recalled.

- Elizabethton, TN, USA

Nov 102006

Ram 2500

Pick-up experiences a violent wobble in the front end at higher speeds. The only way to make it stop is to slow down below 20 mpg. Very dangerous situation!!!

- New River, AZ, USA

Jul 012009

Ram 2500

Massive uncontrollable shaking in the front end of my truck. I can not drive my truck over 50 miles per hour without fear that I will loose control if it starts to shake and not be able to get it off of the road without rolling it or hitting another vehicle. It does this any time you hit a bump or go over an extension joint in the road. I have replaced the front end bearings, all 4 shocks, had a front end alignment and put new tires on it.

- Bethatlo, IL, USA