2006 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Ram 2500:

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 10 of 10)

Aug 282009

Ram 2500

Driving along a busy interstate at 65mph, after going over a small bump in the road the steering became so violent and uncontrollable. Later read it is known as the Dodge death wobble. Seems it ha happened to more than just this Dodge owner on a stock truck. Why hasn't there been a recall, is Chrysler waiting for someone to die before they react? why be reactive when you can be proactive with all the complaints that have already been noted.

- Hankamer, TX, USA

Jun 112009

Ram 2500

Tie-rod end broke suddenly. Mine broke during a turn from a us highway to a county road so that I was moving slowly. Immediate loss of steering was the result. Recall has been issued on one set of replacement parts but not on the original equipment parts that have also failed at least as often.

- Greenwood, AR, USA

May 172008

Ram 2500

Purchased a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins diesel. Truck was used at time of purchase with around 20 thousand miles on it. Five days later driving home from work on the highway at around 55-60 miles per hour the front end began to shake violently. Lucky for me nobody was around all I could do was to keep the truck on the road had to use both lanes, mine and the oncoming traffic lane. I was really out of control couldn't steer or brake to stop. After looking on line I have come to know it as the "death wobble" went to dealer and they said I should have E rated tires or ten ply's. they installed new steering stabilizer and suggested new shock absorbers and to take off the front 2" in leveling kit or front spacers that were on my truck when I purchased it. Drove truck home and the front end was shaking the whole way. So I bought brand new E rated tires and put all new expensive after market shocks on the truck myself. Slight improvement was achieved by these upgrades. Also took to another Dodge dealer after these modifications for a second opinion. They wouldn't replace anything but said they tightened a few things in the front end. They then said that it was probably the rims on my truck. So I purchased brand new rims and took the 2" levelers off. Truck still shakes at around 55-60 mph and is not safe to drive. Bottom line is that I should be able to buy a heavy duty truck and take my family on outings without the chance of crashing because of a defect that Dodge could fix. Very upset and have nowhere else to turn. I have no chance of fighting Dodge or even a car dealership by myself. Can you help? truck is still under warranty I have only drove 5 thousand miles in one year since I've owned it.

- Kearns, UT, USA

Jan 272009

Ram 2500

2006 Dodge Ram megacab 4X4 last was driving around corner lost steering control. Collision into 5 parked vehicles totaling all vehicles hit approx 48 mph at night clear roadways no ice or water police report shows that steering went out on vehicle because steering wheel turned but wheels did not.. steering was lost meaning no steering control whatsoever. Had to have whole front end put on truck. Steering appears okay.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Apr 182009

Ram 2500

Steering problem with customers truck.

- Gardner , MA, USA

Apr 152009

Ram 2500

While driving, the power steering died making it nearly impossible to turn. This is a complete failure of the power steering, previous occurrences of brief difficult steering happened two or three times. Also braking was affected, decreasing stopping ability. I was barely able to stop and turn the truck to avoid crashing into a building.

- Travis Afb, CA, USA

Feb 032009

Ram 2500

Violent shimmy, shake, wobble, loss of control when hit a slight bump at 65 mph warranty exp. So paid $833.95 to the Dodge dealer to replace steering components with a kit from Dodge specifically for that problem.

- Syracuse, UT, USA

Aug 182008

Ram 2500

My 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 had bad tie rods, track bar and steering damper with less than 36000 miles on it. At the point it became apparent, the truck became very unstable and hard to keep on the road. I took it to modica brothers in my town to have it fixed because any dealerships were at least an hour from me and I felt I needed my vehicle fixed as soon as possible. After getting the truck repaired it was brought to my attention that the truck was still covered under warranty. I have contacted Dodge concerning this and was denied coverage because I did not have the truck towed and go to a Dodge dealership to have the truck repaired.

- Woodville, TX, USA

May 152008

Ram 2500

Power steering pump and steering gear failed at 41,000 miles. Warranty will not cover the items. Truck cannot be driven because it is unsafe to move unless repaired.

- Brewster, MN, USA

Dec 202006

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

I own a 2006 Dodge 1 ton crew cab truck. During the month of December I started to experience wheel bouncing when a hit a bump at speeds over 60 miles per hour. I contact the local Dodge dealer, they look at it and said nothing was wrong. On December 20, 2006 I hit a bump on the interstate at nearly 70 miles per hour that put my truck into an uncontrollable shake, nearly hit the car next to me and slide sideways to a stop. Very lucky that others were not hit or that I did not roll. I had the truck towed to springfield, mo and took it to central Dodge. They immediately said it was the front steering stabilizer shock and that they have had numerous other incidents involving this part without even looking at the truck. They change the part and the problem is fixed, but something was troubling as the tech said he would replace it with something stiffer and stronger as they can only replace it with a factory part that he said has been a problem and is not big enough.

- Branson, MO, USA