2006 Dodge Ram 2500 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Ram 2500:

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jun 212014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving approximately 30 mph, the front passenger side of the vehicle began to bounce up and down. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who stated that the passenger side tie rod needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Ocean City, MD, USA

Jun 042013

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

When driving vehicle on highway and hitting bump in road a bad wobble occurs. Nothing was ever done to front end other than normal maintenance to the vehicle. Dodge has a recall for replacement parts but not for the original parts on the trucks. I also have an emplyee that had the same issue on his 05 Dodge Ram 2500 and replace with a kit sold by papas Dodge in new britain, ct.

- Kensington, CT, USA

Feb 192014

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

Hauling a goose neck trailer empty to New Mexico, suddenly the truck began to shake violently in the famous "death wobble" of these vehicles. I scheduled an appointment with the dealer and they found the whole front end need to be "updated" to the bigger beefier suspension. This happens often enough that Chrysler has created a whole kit for doing this upgrade. My vehicle was not consider in need of the recall replacement just four weeks prior. The service writer strongly suggested I have the vehicle in for a full inspection of the front end but never told me while inspecting he knew the front end was a safety hazard. It is obvious to me that NHTSA has stepped on the end of its pecker limiting the recall to one style of front end rod. This is an engineering and materials defect of the truck. Worse it is a very dangerous defect. NHTSA needs to expand the recall to include all Dodge trucks without the beefier front end suspension.

- Clifton, CO, USA

Mar 042013

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that the front tires wore prematurely due to a several parts that exceeded the weight specification. The dealer had to replace the front suspension assembly, hubs and the steering pitman arm to correct the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,572 and the current mileage was 40,923. Updated 05/19/14 updated 05/28/2014

- Paso Robles, CA, USA

Nov 122013

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph, the steering wheel and front end of the vehicle began to shake violently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the four tires were rotated; however, the failure persisted. The vehicle was currently being diagnosed by an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 29,000.... updated 03/24/14 the consumer while driving between 55-60 mph if he hit a slight bump in the roadway or approaching a bridge where the bridge pavement and the road pavement was grooved, the vehicle would shake violently to the point, he was unable to control the vehicle. Also, the consumer noticed power steering fluid leaking from the steering box. The consumer believed it was due to the violent shaking that the pitman arm and the stress put on the ball joints and steering rods. The steering wheel would shake in his hand. Updated 04/01/14

- St.Leonard , MD, USA

Dec 012013

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that the tie rod was separating from the suspension. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 13V528000 (steering suspension) but was unable to have the vehicle service within a reasonable time frame. The local dealer was contacted and advised that the part was not available and that they were only receiving one recall part per week. The contact was placed on a waiting list. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 04/14/14 the consumer stated as of March 17th the dealership still did not have the necessary parts available to repair the vehicle. Updated 04/18/2014 updated 7/14/14 the consumer stated the issue was resolved. Updated 07/18/2014

- Crossville, TN, USA

Oct 162013

Ram 2500 8-cyl

While driving at 65 mph I hit a bump in the road at the end of the bridge I was crossing. The front end began shaking violently. I hit the brakes and when I slowed to approx. 40 mph the shaking stopped. I have been checking on-line and discovered the shaking is commonly call the "death wobble". I can see why it is called that because I had little to no control of the vehicle when the death wobble occurred.

- Douglas, WY, USA

Jul 212013

Ram 2500 8-cyl

I was on I-35 in mo just North of cameron heading toward winston. About half way between winston and cameron I hit a bump in the road. The road is some what rough due to truck traffic. When I hit the bump the front of the truck became loose violently shaking and causing complete loss of control of the vehicle. It felt as if I were running over a series of speed bumps. I began to slow down immediately. As I was slowing down the truck still shaking vigorously I reclaimed control of the vehicle easing it to the shoulder and stopping. Once stopped I began on the road again and seemed to be fine.

- Cameron, MO, USA

Jul 162013

Ram 2500

For the last two or three months my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 has started having the death wobble!! the uncontrollable tire wobble happens at least twice a day now. I have tried just about everything to fix it. I have purchased new bushings and the steering gear stabilizer. I will not buy another Dodge because of this. When talking to Dodge about my problem, it felt like they were just blowing me off.

- Converse, TX, USA

Jun 032013

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

Another issue with this truck tipm idling in driveway horn honks by itself lights high beams turn on and off by themselves blinkers work intermittently this truck has been a pain I have made a formal complaint about the ball joints they have been replaced 3 times in less than 51000 miles Dodge dealer replaced them twice while under warranty but replaced them on my own the last time also steering gearbox snapped in half replaced that while pullin 18 foot trailer got stopped but could not get out of the road we spend alot of money on our trucks while Dodge makes alot of money building junk I have been offered 35,000 for the truck but I wont sell it to anyone to have these problems.

- Deer Park, TX, USA

Nov 302012

Ram 2500 8-cyl

I was traveling highway I-95 near jax, fl. While crossing an overpass expansion joint between bridge and pavement the front end of my truck began violently shaking - so bad I could barely keep control. I slowed as fast as possible and headed for the median out of the way from traffic following. Truck completed an entire "donut " in median causing all traffic to stop. I immediately thought a blown tire. I had previously replaced tires, shocks and fresh alignment less than 500 miles prior to incident. I called Dodge care and they said there was a recall on steering linkage. I took truck to gator Dodge in melbourne Florida for the recall. Service manager mike said the truck didn't apply to recall. He blamed the violent "death wobble" on my brand new tires and non mopar shocks. Shocks are aftermarket direct fit for my truck from monroe. He also said that I needed an alignment and tires rebalanced. I did what he asked and brought truck back to gator Dodge for a new diagnosis. He then blamed the violent shaking on " glazed rotors". oddly the problem does not happen when braking. He then talked with his service manager and replaced the pittman arm, stabilizer shock and some kind of control arm with new adjustment clamps for free. Did nothing to correct the problem. The truck still makes "clunking noises " from somewhere behind firewall when just crossing over the white stop lines on the road or even my garden hose in the driveway. Death wobble can be duplicated at high speeds but he refused to drive to highway to show him the problem. I am going to install a new steering gearbox and aftermarket stabilizer tomorrow and see what happens. I have a feeling it will be wasted money. I believe the truck needs recalled before I kill someone on the road. I cant afford a new truck and will not let my kids ride in this one.

- Satellite Beach, FL, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

First incident was right tie rod end falling off. Truck became uncontrollable. Next incident was death wobble. Truck shook violently and was uncontrollable. Next incident was another death wobble with my daughter driving the truck. Next incident was right tie rod end falling off. Next incident was another death wobble. Virtually entire front end has been replaced. Steering stabilizer has been replaced three times. Truck has 240000 miles and I am scared of it, but it my only truck, so I have to drive it. According to internet, manufacturer refuses to acknowledge problem.

- Woodville, TX, USA

Feb 122013

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

While driving down the highway at 70 mph I hit a rough spot in the road and truck began to shake violently. I had no control until I slowed down to under 50 mph. There was heavy traffic as it was rush hour and I almost caused a serious accident. After researching the internet I have found this to be a common problem in Dodge trucks and Jeep. There are many youtube videos, it has been on national news and there are many complaints on NHTSA.dot.gov also. Is it going to take someone getting killed to get this defect recalled? the dealerships refuse to acknowledge this defect and use it as an excuse to replace every component in your front end and charge you thousands of dollars. Please address this before someone gets killed.

- Comfort, TX, USA

Nov 022012

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, a loud thumping noise was heard from the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The mechanic stated that the ball joints, socket joints and the ball bearings needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 100,300. Updated 02/20/13 updated 02/20/2013

- Sandy, OR, USA

Jul 012012

Ram 2500

Hit a pothole and the front end started to shake violently & out of control.

- Belleplain, NJ, USA

Nov 102010

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle drove over a bump in the road and shook violently. The contact referred to the shaking as the death wobble. The contact replaced the tie rod and steering linkage, but none of the repairs remedied the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- North Richland Hills, TX, USA

Jun 152012

Ram 2500

Was driving 45-50 mph when truck hit a rough spot in road and began violently shaking and was almost impossible to control. Had to slow down in order for shaking to stop. Steering was almost impossible while this was happening.\very scary! has happened several time since. My 19 year old daughter drives this truck! (maybe not for long).

- Kerrville, TX, USA

May 032012

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

I have been watching the news recently and saw the Jeep death wobble reports. I have the same experience and same problem with my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. I almost got into two accidents on the high way and once my truck lost control due to the death wobble and turned 180 degrees on the highway facing oncoming traffic. But, luckily no one was hurt. I took the truck to see what the problem was and the mechanics said I have to pay a couple thousand to repair. However, the mechanic said he has seen many Jeep and Dodge have the same problem and said the company should have a recall because it is extremely dangerous and it is the manufactures fault. Due to hard economic times I can not afford to fix my truck and I am very scared for my safety and my families. So please help me in this terrible situation along with other Dodge Ram and Jeep owners. This is very common problem and can be seen all over the internet, youtube and the news. I look forward to hearing back from you and getting help.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Jun 192012

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph and attempting a three point turn, the vehicle would not respond. After inspecting the vehicle the contact noticed that the wheels were facing the opposite direction as a result of a fractured tie rod. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic who confirmed the tie rod failure and advised that the tie rod, steering stabilizer and sway bar be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 11V350000 (steering:linkages:tie rod assembly). The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 130,000. Updated 8/17/12 updated 08/21/12

- Houston , PA, USA

Apr 122012

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

While traveling down roadway approx 45 mph, vehicle began to wobble really bad in front, felt steering was really loose or nonexistent. Pulled over and found nothing wrong, vehicle drove fine afterwards. Several days later, while driving approx 65mph on interstate, heard and felt a "pop" in the front as if I had hit something - looking back I did not see anything. If you ever hit a bird on the interstate, this is what it felt like; however there was no indications that I had hit anything, shortly after I began to experience the wobble again - immediately pulled over thinking my tire may have blown - there was no indication of anything. Today, I took my truck in the shop for the recall (L16) left tie rod; I was told it was ok after inspection and there was no problem; however, for $1383 they tell me they will replace and fix my steering gear box because it is leaking. On the 13th of April after experiencing the wobble, I crawled underneath my truck and found no such evidence of anything; after leaving the dealer and crawling under truck, I noticed where there is leakage at the steering gear box now. After searching net for replacement parts I began to see all issues with these related parts. Dodge should really look at this entire system as they could be tied together. I will repair the vehicle but I am really shocked that Dodge has not done anything about these complaints with this wobble even after repairs. I don't want to spend that much money if wobble continues after repair. Current mileage on vehicle is 96103 - I have owned this truck since new.

- Powell, TN, USA