2008 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Ram 2500:

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Feb 162016

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 11V350000 (steering) and 13V529000 (steering). The contact opted for the buy back program. The contact stated that the dealer and manufacturer were notified and a check was written by the dealer; however, when the vehicle was taken to the dealer, the dealer demanded that the windshield and front passenger side fender be repaired at the owner's expense. The contact stated that the third party inspector was supposed to offer them a deduction to the re-purchase offer; however, the third party inspector was never scheduled by the manufacturer. The contact phoned the program administration/administrator; however, was unable to make contact. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Lander, WY, USA

Jan 012010

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that the steering wheel was unstable while driving 40 mph and more. The steering wheel voluntarily moved around and the contact felt unsafe driving the vehicle. The contact stated that the failure occurred after the dealer replaced the wheel ball joints. The dealer was notified of the failure and no repairs were made. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Morehead, KY, USA

Jul 042016

Ram 2500

Truck shakes/ wobbles and sometimes loose steering control when I go over sudden uneven road conditions.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

May 252016

Ram 2500

High speed death wobble, uncontrolable steering, dangerous. Scary, moving upwards of 50-60 mph highway contry doesnt matter where

- Pinson, AL, USA

Dec 212015

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving approximately 60 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle and the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the steering assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering). The failure mileage was 60,608. Updated 02/12/16 according to the invoice, the lower front ball joint, steering damper and inner and outer tie rod ends were replaced. Updated 02/25/16.

- Limon, CO, USA

Jul 012015

Ram 2500

Steering recall- vehicle initiates into the death shake when speed exceeds 55mph on a turn. Transmission problems- vehicle has problems shifting normally by shifting straight into 4th gear when shifting into drive and will drive sluggishly

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Dec 312007

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving at 50 mph, the vehicle shook. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering wheel, tie rods and other unknown parts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15.

- Roseburg, OR, USA

Nov 062015

Ram 2500

Many refer to it as the "death wobble" and it has done it at least once every time I drive I have experienced the death wobble on the highway while going 75 mph and it causes me to have to slow down drastically. I am not only worried for my wellness/life but my family members as well. This vehicle is used as a daily driver.

- Dublin, TX, USA

Oct 232015

Ram 2500

Vehicle wanders when driving had 2 front end alignments and tires balanced has not corrected problem. Had it reinspected and left tie rod end worn. Was told it does not come under recall for steering linkage.

- Naples, FL, USA

Aug 172015

Ram 2500

At highway speeds can hit small bump and the truck starts shaking violently. Almost lost control of the truck.

- Edgewood, NM, USA

Sep 162015

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while reversing, the driver side tie rod ball joint fractured. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the driver side tire rod ball joint needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Lodi, CA, USA

Jun 302015

Ram 2500

We purchased a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 4X4 from a dealership in harrisburg on June 1, 2015. We started experiencing what is a known for these vehicles - a "death wobble." While traveling at highway speeds, you hit a bump or put too much pressure on one of the front tires, the two front tires start wobbling like a badly made shopping cart. Being intelligent consumers, we researched the issues, and notified our dealer in harrisburg. My husband drove the truck all the way down there so they could fix an open recall of a tie-rod end. When he got there, they said, "oops, someone already fixed it, we can't do anything about it." And he drove home in a rattling deathtrap. We then were notified by our next door neighbor as well as a family member that Fiat-Chrysler Dodge announced on July 27th that they had a $105 million lawsuit for unsafe front-end steering issues for vehicles, and they were buying back a whole slough of vehicles, our truck included. We contacted the recall office, and were told that they didn't know what we were talking about. We took it to a local Dodge place end of August. The steering dampener is damaged, at roughly $1075 for the part, a U-joint is seized, both upper and lower ball joints in the front end are shot, and that will be almost $3000 in parts to fix. We haven't even received our first oil change on the vehicle and now we have to fork over $3000+ on a $25,000 truck we haven't owned for four months. I just called Dodge headquarters again for the umpteenth time and was told there is only 1 recall option for the buyback, and that is listed as being completed in 2014. I asked her why our truck was still trying to kill us, and she didn't have a response. She said it is not a safety concern. I asked her who was lying to us, and offered her to come and take a ride in our deathtrap if it wasn't a "safety concern, " and she didn't have a response.

- Mifflinburg, PA, USA

Apr 012015

Ram 2500

This truck started experiencing reverberation/wobble/bounce/shake after hitting a series of small bumps or pothole w/ one front tire. The wobble shakes the truck so hard that pieces of the interior break/fall off and the driver completely loses control of the steering of the vehicle. This began happening very intermittently (conditions/bumps/speed must be just right) this spring (2015) soon after we took the truck in for the recall on the driver's side tie rod linkage (they also told us the ball joint needed to be replaced). Since the dealership did not seem knowledgeable about our problem, we took the truck to multiple private repair shops during the summer trying to fix this intermittent, difficult-to-duplicate problem. We have replaced every part of the steering and suspension that had any "play" or wear including a ball joint, tie rods, control arm, pittman arm, steering stabilizer, heavy-duty shock for steering stabilizer, front shocks, various bushings, and steering gear box tightening. We even replaced the tires and wheels in case there was a mild warp/lack of balance. We have spent around $5000, but the truck is still not fixed. A search on youtube revealed that we are part of a large group of Dodge truck owners experiencing what is coined "the death wobble." When the July 26 NHTSA press release came out, we were overjoyed! our apparently unfixable truck would be "bought back!" I was informed by chrystler that this is not the case. Since we "fixed" the recalled tie rod linkage (that would be the recall that led to all of these problems), our truck is not eligible for the buy back. I believe that chrystler not only knows that this problem is inherent in the design of these trucks (they changed the front end on 2014/15 models), but that they are shirking their buy-back responsibility. This truck is unsafe in its "fixed" state. How should we proceed?

- Beaverton, MI, USA

Jul 012015

Ram 2500

In early July 2015, I contacted my local Dodge dealer (patterson Dodge) via phone to make the recall repairs to my 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. At the time of the phone call, the dealer indicated that my request for recall service would be put on a list to be scheduled at a later date. Since this initial phone call, I have contacted the dealer and manufacturer multiple times with no confirmation on when the recall repairs could be completed. As of September 9, 2015, the dealer confirmed that I was indeed on a list of vehicles needing repair, but no timeline for the service could be established because of unavailability of parts from the manufacturer. Please advise me on how to get these recall repair performed.

- Wichita Falls, TX, USA

Aug 282015

Ram 2500

I am the original owner of a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 regular cab pickup and the vehicle has only been serviced at certified Dodge dealerships. The vehicle currently has 44900 miles. I have brought the vehicle in 3 times to have the front left tie rod replaced under the N62 tie rod recall with no resolution. The tie rod is failing confirmed by the dealer and myself, the vehicle is unsafe to drive, and the dealer and Chrysler refuse to replace the faulty component as they are saying the recall does not affect my vehicle. Due to Chrysler and the selling dealer not keeping appropriate records of the repairs done on the vehicle they have inaccurate recall information and are refusing to resolve the problem, as they are stating the vehicle has original oem equipment which is false. At 26953 miles I brought the vehicle into the original selling dealer victory Chrysler in rome, NY on March 22, 2011 due to drivability concerns, wandering, and loose front end components prior to the date the N62 recall issued. Noted on the repair invoice from the selling dealer "replaced the tie rod end - replace to pitman arm (B) parts numbers 68036940, arm part number 68039930aa, and arm steering gear/pitman part number 19651001.ber 68039930aa, and arm steering gear/pitman part number 19651001. Approximately 1 year later I received the N62 recall indicating that trucks that had steering linkage replaced with mopar service parts and have been trying to have the vehicles faulty replacement part repaired. I contacted victory the selling dealer and was advised no parts were available and it would be at least 3 weeks before the vehicle could be serviced. I was able to get an appointment at a another Ram dealer carbone Dodge in yorkville, NY. It was confirmed by the dealer the tie rod needs replacement but no repair was completed due to the records being inaccurate from Chrysler.

- Holland Patent , NY, USA

Aug 312012

Ram 2500

While on vacation in wv, I began having steering issue where the truck would drift left and there became an overabundance of play in the steering wheel. Since then it has become difficult to drive. I repeatedly took the truck to my local dealer and called but there was no recall on my truck. There are recalls on Ram 1500 megacabs and Ram 2500's but not on a Ram 2500 megacab"??? I have had my suspension replaced, my steering looked at six time at a local shop and it is still not driving as it should. My engine compartment liner is also burned where a metal hose has come in contact with it and melted through it. This is plain to see when the hood is up and yet my truck is not part of any recall for this either. Since my truck is not listed on any of the recalls, am I eligible for the buyback"

- Mooers, NY, USA

Nov 042013

Ram 2500

The heater works on occasion from Nov 13 till I replaced it in May 2015, now its August 2015 and the heater has completely stopped working. I live in Alaska and a heater is a huge deal. Also during an oil change noticed the tie rod is all gooped with oil. Have an 09 1500 that the tie rod broke on. Curious if my 08 is gonna have the same issue. The rear differential is leaking oil all of a sudden as of June 2015 after hauling my 24 foot trailer 1200 miles. When I put the truck in 4 low and drive it makes a huge clucking sound doesn't turn very well either. It feels like my steering is about to go out. I can't drive up my driveway without digging wholes in the gravel. I bought the truck used November 2013 and feel like I got a lemon.

- Homer, AK, USA

Mar 102015

Ram 2500

Steering linkage fell off. Did get a recall on the steering linkage, but when I took it to the dealership a year or two before this they told me I didn't have the defective parts and therefore would not replace these parts. Then not 6 months later was my first incident with the steering linkage just falling off, good thing it didn't happen when I was going 50 mph I just was at a stop. Obviously my truck should have been included in the recall. I have replaced the tie rod ends, but the truck still does not drive right, and it only has 60K miles on it. Thanks

- Manchester, MI, USA

Jul 102013

Ram 2500

When pulling forward and turning the steering linkage just fell off.

- Manchester, MI, USA

Jul 312015

Ram 2500

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 and have experienced problems with my steering components, as described by the ongoing death wobble situation. I have replaced the rh tie rod end myself as when I've contacted the dealers previously, they weren't sure if the rh side would be recalled. Later I've received notices for the N62 recall, for the LH side tie rod end. I have called and called the dealer and they have repeatedly said that parts were not available. Now the truck only has 58,5xx miles on it and the LH tie rod end is about to snap in half. The truck has a very bad noise up front and if around 50 mph, you hit a bump, it goes into a death wobble scenario. I have just replaced the front axle U-joints, another common front end problem with these trucks. I am very tired of these issues. With the news of the buyback, I have called Chrysler and they have said that my truck does not qualify. I assume that is the case because my truck is unrepaired, but under 13V-528, and not 13V-529" but looking at document rcmn-13V529-4092, it states that the same parts will be used for recalls N62 and N49. So why is my truck not included"

- Finleyville, PA, USA