2008 Dodge Ram 2500 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Ram 2500:

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 032013

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving over a pothole at an unknown speed, the front end of the vehicle and the steering wheel suddenly began to shake and rattle. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Versilles, KY, USA

Jan 052015

Ram 2500

I was driving from detroit airport East on highway 94 when my truck started to shake like hell and I thought I had two flat tires in the front. I hit the brakes and the truck become un steerable and started to turn sideways with two lanes of traffic coming at me. This was a very scary ride. I pulled over after I downshifted and the shaking stopped but there was nothing flat or loose that I could see several other drivers stopped to see what had happened. I called a local Dodge dealer and was told that I most have bad brake rotors. I have changed the rotors on all 4 wheels the front wheel bearings the shocks the front stabilizer shock and new brake pads on all 4 wheels still shakes just as bad.I have had several close calls and I want a fix or I will buy a new Ford truck. The bad part of this, is that I retired after 44years with Chrysler.

- Newark, DE, USA

Feb 102015

Ram 2500

Inspection revealed excessive play in the left front outer tie rod end. Recommendation made to replace the front tie rod assembly.

- Oak Harbor, OH, USA

Dec 022013

Ram 2500

About 11 months ago I received a recall notice from Chrysler for my 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 pick up truck, it was for a suspension problem with the tie rods, recall #N49/NHTSA 13V-529 I called my local Dodge dealer where I bought the truck and they said they could not get the parts, I called several months later and they told me the replacement parts had been "recalled". I have contacted them numerous times still no parts. I have called Chrysler several times and get the same run around, no parts available. This is a real safety issue as the failure of the parts could cause me to crash. I would think Chrysler would be nervous as the liability issue could be very expensive. What if they fail and someone is killed, is this my fault would I be liable? this has been going on for almost a year and still not resolved.

- Hereford, AZ, USA

Mar 052014

Ram 2500 8-cyl

At higher speeds the front end starts to shake violently (death wobble) to the point of loosing control, you have to come to a complete stop to get it to stop which can be a problem when driving on the freeway I've took it to the dealer and they said it was the ball joints so I had them replaced it didn't help I also replaced the shocks and steering dampener all this at my own expense. I've had the truck in twice for recalls on the tie rod ends also. From the research I have done online it seems that alot of owners are having the same trouble with no help from Dodge to correct the problem.

- Garland, UT, USA

Mar 012013

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

While driving this truck at approximately 60 miles an hour I hit a expansion joint as I was on a slight left turn cause the vehicle to shake violently almost losing control until I slowed down to below 30 miles an hour then the suspension stabilized. This has occurred on many occasions since the first incident and I have learned to anticipate when this may occur and expect it. I have taken vehicle to have suspension check and they have found no problems. It was recommended that I put a dual shock absorbing steering stabilizer on this vehicle. This was done and did not correct the problems.

- Forks, WA, USA

Apr 162014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while traveling 25 mph, a loud noise was emitted from the front end of the vehicle and no warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact mentioned that the vehicle would veer to the right and to the left. The failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the upper and lower ball joints on both the driver and passenger side needed to be replaced. The failure mileage was 55,000 and the current mileage was 57,222.

- Poineer, CA, USA

Mar 122013

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, he heard a loud noise as the vehicle came to a complete stop. The contact mentioned that after inspecting the vehicle she noticed that the driver's side tie rod was fractured. The contact stated that she previously received notification for NHTSA campaign number: 13V529000 (steering) and had been waiting for the parts to become available. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician verified the failure and replaced the tie rod, upper and lower bolt joints. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 48,000 and the current mileage was 60,000.

- Greenville, WI, USA

Jan 032014

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

Recall issued but dealer can not get parts. Safety recall N49/NHTSA 13V-529 we have limited number of days to have this replaced as we are planning a 5,000 mile trip with this pickup pulling a 35 ft travel trailer.

- Colfax, WA, USA

Jan 062012

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

Received recall - left side ball stud to replace. Called local dealer Jan 6. instructed to call back in 7 - 10 days - called back Jan 13 -- told to come in, so not need appointment. ( 45 miles to dealer one way) visited dealer on Jan 14th - looked at truck and informed me that they had to order parts. -- called Jan 24th - will call us in a couple of days, no call. Called Feb 4th - told our parts were not in and did not know when the parts would be in. Informed that Chrysler was only giving the dealer one set a week. To date (Feb 19th, 2014) we have not received a call from dealer, replacement is not completed. Note: Notification stated that the ball stud on my truck may fracture under certain driving conditions and this could cause a loss of directional control and or crash without warning. To me this is serious and needs attention ! this truck is used to haul cattle & horses & farm duty. I am concerned.

- Sprague River, OR, USA

May 112013

Ram 2500

While driving at highway speeds, if the vehicle hits any pot hole, road change, or turning slightly left, the front end will start to uncontrollably shake. It becomes very violent and hard to control until I slow down to under 60 mph. I have had multiple dealers look at the issue and tell me they have seen this issue before but there is nothing they can do for me as no front end parts are worn out. They then state that they have an "upgrade" front end kit I can purchase for $2,500 that will maybe fix it. I ask them if it is a known issue then why doesn't Chrysler recall the front ends and fix the issue, they reply that Chrysler does not claim there is any issue present. I have checked all over the internet and this issue seems to affect hundreds of thousands of people as manufactures make after-market "death-wobble" fix kits. It is very frustrating to have to possibly pay out of pocket for a fix that might not work. This truck has been nothing but issues for me.

- Mound, MN, USA

Aug 292012

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

While traveling a windy country road at approx. 40-45 miles per hour, when making a curve and hitting a rough patch of road the vehicle front end started to shake violently. We slowed down to make shaking stop. This happens all the time when rounding a curve and hitting a rough spot in the road.feels like the front end is going to come off. Very frightening. We took to Dodge dealer and they could not find anything wrong with vehicle. Looked on the internet and found this is common among Dodge trucks and is called the death wobble and Dodge takes no responsibility for this. I guess it is cheaper to pay law suits than do the right thing and fix affected vehicles. How many lives have to be spent before Dodge is held accountable?

- Valley Springs, CA, USA

Nov 152012

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, he drove over a pot hole and the vehicle started shaking violently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the upper and lower ball joints were defective and needed to the replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 75,000.

- Niles, MI, USA

Nov 222010

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

This vehicle has an uncontrollable shaking with the front end. If you hit a bump ir a pothole you have to slow down until approximately 30-35 mph or possible stop to get the shaking to stop. It will vibrate anything off the dash. Front end parts have been replaced, front end aligned, new tires, factory recall. I notified Dodge, of course they know nothing about this.after researching this matter I found that several thousands of people have this problem and has been named the death wobble. Any Dodge from 2003-2008 has this. It is ridiculous that the Dodge isn't held responsible for making an unsafe vehicle. This death wobble is still happening everyday when a bump is hit and is going to make someone wreck.

- Mccarley, MS, USA

Jun 012012

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle began to shake violently. The failure was experienced numerous times. The failure also recurred when driving at lower speeds or when driving over any road bumps. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the front tie rod but the failure was not corrected. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 53,000.

- Melbourne , FL, USA

Jun 012011

Ram 2500

Death wobble, when driving at any speed, and hitting a bump with the wheel turned even ever so slightly either way, the wheel just gives that direction and the entire truck starts to go that direction. It is very nerve racking, and extremely dangerous. The forums are littered with people with the same issue looking for an answer, but we aren't coming up with one, all while throwing money away into parts that may or may not be bad. I've already had the tie rod failure that Dodge has a recall on, but they say my truck was not effected by the recall, so that fell on me to replace. When I called Dodge about the problem, they state that no one has reported this issue before so it is an isolated incident with my truck. However, a google search yields thousands of people with the same thing. Can this be investigated in any way? these trucks have become dangerous to drive, or be around on the highways due to this 'death wobble'.

- Morganton, NC, USA

May 112012

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated while driving 15 mph, the passenger side front tie rod fell on the ground. The vehicle was towed to a local garage. The failure was located within the ball joints which separated due to defective material. A local mechanic replaced the steering pitman, steering arm, the cross shaft, nuts and bolts. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 36,000 and the current mileage was 36,250. Updated 06/26/12 the consumer stated he could not just replace the failed part. He had to purchase the entire steering assembly, due to it being an upgrade. The cost of the steering assembly was $618.61. Updated 06/27/12 updated 08/28/12 updated 09/12/12

- Karns City , PA, USA

Dec 132011

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that both the upper and lower ball joints failed, resulting in a potential loss of directional stability in the steering wheel. The dealer was notified and advised the contact that there were no recalls for the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Oct 102011

Ram 2500

I've got 40,000 miles on my 2008 2500 quad cab 6.7 cummins. The symptoms I noticed have been when driving down the road at highway speeds, suddenly it'll sound like I have a flat tire for about 2 seconds, then resume to normalcy. But when I slow to a stop, the truck shakes uncontrollably until you stop. It almost feels like I have a manual transmission, which I don't, and I don't downshift. I thought it was maybe a transmission problem, but I shifted to neutral and stopped, out of "drive", and it still shook uncontrollably. My truck does have the snow plow prep package on it, but I do not run a snow plow, and after researching the possibility of that last winter, I would never put a plow on a quad/diesel; or for that matter, any Ram.

- Buffalo Lake, MN, USA

Nov 262011

Ram 2500

Heading to town to take 2008 Dodge Ram to the dealership to have looked at for stalling at idle and no foot pedal response. Shut truck off and restarted now I have throttle.. anyways headed to dealership to have these thing looked at. Im on the interstate cruise control set at 70mph. I go over a slight dip on the interstate than experience what feels like two blown front tires. The entire truck is shaking violently. Its all I can do to hold onto the steering wheel. The truck feels like its going to fall apart. I get on the brakes start pulling to the side of the road at about 10miles an hour this violent vibration stops. This incident was the scariest incident I've been through. I inspected the truck nothing visible wrong so I continued on to dealership with no problems.. 15 minutes later I stopped shaking. Told service man at dealership what just happened and he says oh you just experienced the death wobble.. are you serious they have a nickname for this and are still selling these vehicles at 40,000 a piece. I refused to sign the work agreement and left the truck there. I will not pay to have this truck fixed. This vehicle is a serious danger to the driver, passengers and any other vehicles on the road. After research I found many other incidents of what I have described. Go to youtube and type Dodge death wobble. Vehicle manufactures should be responsible for there product. Concerned and productive United States citizen..

- Blackfoot, ID, USA