2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon:

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Jul 212016

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

This past July 2016 my truck developed the Dodge death wobble. I had never heard of this until it happened to my truck. Very scary! heard there were buy backs and recalls for this. I phoned Dodge and they said my truck was not included in either. Ended up costing me about $2000 to have the whole front end replaced. This happens at about 60 mph and you hit a bump in the road. Come on Dodge how about some help.

- Brewster, WA, USA

May 242016

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 13V528000 (steering), 16V352000 (air bags), and 15V313000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the issues. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Ozona, TX, USA

Apr 272009

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 09E001000 (steering), 13V528000 (steering), 16V352000 (air bags), and 15V313000 (air bags). The part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Mar 012011

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving at high speeds, the vehicle shook violently without warning and the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but the diagnostic results were unknown. The independent mechanic also stated that the power steering cap detached from the vehicle and caused the power steering fluid to pour out. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 164,834.

- Colfax, CA, USA

Oct 312015

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

October 31, 2015, I experienced the Dodge "death wobble" twice within 10 minutes, speed approximately 50 to 55 mph on a 2 lane East bound road in modesto, calif., driving straight. Luckily, no cars were close by. Previously, I have experienced a single wheel "death wobble". I am having to change the track bar bushings every 15,000 to 20,000 miles. They are worn out or in pieces. I have found the frame and the front differential are not in alignment. The differential needs to be pulled into alignment with the frame 1/4 inch(approx.) to install the bolt through the frame mount and the track bar bushing. This truck has never been in a collision to the front. The "death wobble" has been noticed on many truck websites. If I had been in traffic, it would have caused an accident. What is NHTSA doing about a recall by Dodge to fix the problem, permanently? the truck was new when I bought it. I have changed addresses on registration and have not received any notices of the other recalls.

- Copperopolis,, CA, USA

Oct 152014

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V313000 (air bags) and 13V528000 (steering); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceed a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced any failure. Updated 01/27/16

- South Holland, IL, USA

Sep 302011

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. While making a sharp turn, there was a loud banging noise coming front the front of the vehicle without warning. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 11V350000 (steering), 13V529000 (steering), and 15V313000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Whitelake, WI, USA

Sep 112015

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

Driving on the interstate drove over an area that had bee patched and the left fornt wheel began vibrating making it extreamly difficult to steer.the truck pulled to the left and would not stop until the truck came to a complete stop.

- Newcomerstown, OH, USA

Sep 012015

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

Recurrent issue as I drive at speeds ranging from 35 mph to 75 mph and I hit a patch, hole or bump in the road my truck will start vibrating violently, feels like I am on a poko stick and I cannot control the steering.I took me accross 4 interstate lanes until I could stop the vibration which only quits when you come to a complete stop.the latest occurance took me into the quardrail damaging the passenger side.I had the truck looked at by the Chrysler dealership and was told nothin was wrong.the left tieror had an outstanding recall but they said mine was inspected and did not need replaced.this has occured between 11 to 15 times since I bought the truck late last year and I believe it to be a serious issue needing investigating.

- Newcomerstown, OH, USA

May 212015

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, there was a loss of steering control and the vehicle was unable to be maneuvered. In addition, the front driver side began to jerk violently when driving over a bump. The failure recurred six times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 59,000.

- Newcomerstow, OH, USA

Aug 302014

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed to steer straight, making it difficult to maneuver the vehicle. In addition, the front end of the vehicle shakes. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 129,000.

- Yorkville, IL, USA

Aug 012013

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

At speeds above 45mph the vehicle violently wobbles and renders the steering almost uncontrollable. This is commonly referred to as the "death wobble". I understand this problem has been addressed with this "buy back" program but it is only for 2008 and newer model years. I'm not looking to have my vehicle bought back but I do want this problem corrected. I have been to the dealer as well as numerous repair shops to have this corrected and after thousands of dollars spent and multiple parts replaced the problem still persists. Updated 12/18/15

- Sewaren, NJ, USA

Jun 172014

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

I have had continuous issues with my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 I have stated to Dodge that I have stalling issues constantly they say their is nothing wrong and the steering issues are life threatening I have spent at least 4 or 5 grand on this truck trying to fix it make it safe to drive being Dodge can't and now there is more recalls on air bags with no time frame to when they can fix and with the newest recall of the buy back theirs no recognition of it to the dealers as of yet like do I need to be the person that's just driving to work and crash due to steering loss and have the airbag deploy metal shards into my body to get some attention from these ppl would like to see Dodge do something about this

- Glens Falls, NY, USA

Jun 182013

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

At approx. 45K mi vehicle developed severe "wobble" in front steering. Contacted dealer who disavowed any knowledge of occurances on other trucks. Contacted Chrysler who directed me back to dealership. Took to dealership who tried to sell repair at $3400 found many similar complaints on-line and suggested repair was to replace with "steering upgrade kit" marketed through Dodge dealer at over $800. Had installed at my cost and now Chrysler is saying my vehicle is not part of recall and to take back to dealership for inspection of replaced parts that are now individually being recalled.

- Bossier City, LA, USA

Apr 102015

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed and became loose while driving. The vehicle was towed to the local mechanic who located a failure at the steering tie rod assembly. The steering tie road assembly was replaced. Prior to the failure, the contact received a notice for NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering); however, the part was not available for the repair. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 266,759.

- Groves , TX, USA

May 152013

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

Steering box sector shaft broke off steering box, when vehicle was towed to dealership they notified me an upgraded steering system was already designed and I needed to pay for its installation, which I did. Sector shaft broken while driving out of a parking lot.

- Ft Collins, CO, USA

Feb 012014

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle began to shake uncontrollably and without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who informed the contact of NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering); however, the part for repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Milner, GA, USA

Jan 152014

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign numbers: 09E001000 (steering)05V462000 (power train) and 13V528000 (steering) had exceeded a reasonable amount for time for repair. The dealer stated that the parts were not available for either of the recall campaigns. The manufacturer was not made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experience the failure.

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Jun 052014

Ram 2500 Power Wagon 4WD 6-cyl

I received a recall notice N62/NHTSA 13V-528 from Chrysler. I had the problem repaired and paid for it and submitted the information and receipt to Chrysler as they requested over 90 days ago with no reimbursement or notice whatsoever. Please contact Chrysler on my behalf and request at least an acknowledgement of my request. Thank you

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

Nov 032014

Ram 2500 Power Wagon 4WD 6-cyl

2005 Dodge 2500 cummins engine, 160,000 miles, started shaking violently going down the road at 55 mpg after hitting a bump in the road associated with everyday driving. Had to slow down to almost a stop to get it come out of it, went another 30 miles did it again. Absolutely a scary situation for me and my family and im am sure it was scary for people behind me as they seen my truck start shaking and me slamming on the brakes. Drove truck home and have since learned that this is commonly known as the "Dodge death wobble", a common problem on model years 2003 thru 2008. Forum websites have hundreds upon hundreds of posts on it, from 20,000 miles to 250,000 miles. Contacted Dodge dealer and there is no "recalls" open on my truck steering other than H46 and N62, neither of which will solve the problem. Funny thing is, even though Dodge "doesn't have a problem" I have not been able to find where I can order the same type of steering linkage currently on my truck, it takes me to the new 2009 and newer style. A very serious situation, especially with winter driving that needs to be addressed by the manufacturer.

- Findlay, IL, USA