1. Dodge needs to issue a recall (33 reports)
  2. Dodge should issue a recall (14 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (10 reports)
  4. I will buy the new dash if Dodge has corrected the material (3 reports)
  6. cover with dashboard cover (1 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 3500:

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Feb 022009

Ram 3500 Laramie 5.9L Ho

This is a major disappointment for this vehicle that I paid $42,000.00 for. I expected better that this considering the how much I take care of my vehicles and the money and time I spent achieving the look that my truck has. This really needs to be addressed. Owner loyalty is really out the window if Dodge don't handle this issue. I love the cummins motor and have been around and operated various equipment with this motor within the equipment such as gallon and grove cranes. Cummins has my complete backing as far as power and durability. I wish I could say that for the rest of the truck.

- , Des Allemands, LA, USA

Dec 302006

Ram 3500 5.7 Hemi

I purchased the Truck in Dec of 06 with only 43,000 miles on it and the dash already had a few cracks in it running from windshield to front of dash. Now it has been 5 years and the dash is completely falling apart. It is very loud and I feel that if in an accident, passengers and I could be seriously injured due to shrapnel from the dash.

- , Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Jul 062010

Ram 3500 HD 5.9L Diesel

I certainly anticipated better materials for the dash on a heavy duty work truck that cost 40k. I had a 1999 Ram 1500 before this truck and the truck just wasn't up to the abuse I dish out on a daily basis. My truck looks like a work truck, with dents, scratches and dirty floors as I use it as a real truck, not a Cadillac with a truck bed. Those things they show on the commercials I do almost every day, and so far it is still in one piece except for the dash. I, nor anyone else, pays any attention to these normal work truck dents and dings, but when people get into the cab, they notice what looks like a truck that is falling apart. I will probably get the replacement part for this and just deal with the cost as overall I have put some HARD miles on this truck and it has never stopped pulling like a bull.

- , Laurens, SC, USA

Jun 012009

Ram 3500 V8

Brought dodge ram 3500 to pull 5th wheel so hardly drove vehicle. Noticed crack initially about 2yrs. Now it is running like a road map and very noisy when driving. Dodge need to recall damaged dashboard and repair with upgrade materials free of charge to customer.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jul 012008

Ram 3500

This Dodge Dash Cracking problem is a safety issue. After whipping the dust off my broken dash I sliced my fingers wide open. Dodge knows this is bad. They should make it right by replacing it.

- , Anaheim, CA, USA

Feb 102010

Ram 3500 V10

why can't Dodge order a recall on this They must be aware of this problem that is souring the public on there product's Come on Dodge get your head's out of your asse's and fix this problem.

- , Delavan, WI, USA

Jan 212010

Ram 3500 3500 HD Cummins Diesel

I bought the truck to pull my race car. The truck is great and runs nice. I have the leather inter. so it is not a cheap truck. But I should have known because the dealers sales person I went to was rude so I should have looked elsewhere. I wanted to get a Ford 3500 which I should have bought. I paid cash for the truck new and take the truck to the same dealer for service. I told the of the crack after a teammate at work told me about there dash. The dealership acted as if they didn't know. Short and sweet if this doesn't get corrected I will never by another dodge or related product. I know I'm a single person talking but maybe the reason this company is having problems is stuff like this. Take care of your customers and they will be back.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Mar 012010

Ram 3500 SLT 5.9L Cummins

In early March 2010 a crack in the dashboard appeared. A month later a second crack appeared. They are about 15 inches apart and both run front to back the entire width of the dashboard.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 012010

Ram 3500 5.9L

I just bought this truck 1 month ago and now the dash has a big hole in it. the body shop told me that it will cost $986.43 to get it fixed and i am told it will do the same thing again because dodge hasn't fixed the problem. I had a 1997 dodge 2500 that had the same problem and like a fool i bought another Dodge. I think the people that make the rules about recalls need to think about a little more because it is a safety hazard and the hazard is from the sharp and jagged edges and if i had a young child that got hurt I would have to sue someone. maybe we need a class action law suite.

- , Westville, OK, USA

Jun 112008

Ram 3500 Heavy Duty 5.9L Cummins

Dodge has a problem with all truck dash boards cracking in their Ram models. They have built a very pour product in these dash boards from 1998 to 2006. They should issue a recall but it would cost millions so they will not. Because of this business attitude in knowing they have built an inferior product and not doing anything about it I personally will never purchase another Dodge product because who knows what will be the issue next. I am a firm supporter of American made products but how can they compete with foreign built products when they produce a inferior product. I will go with Ford or Chevy next.

- , Alvin, TX, USA

Apr 012007

Ram 3500 Laramie HD 5.9L Cummins

dodge should be ashamed to put out such poor quality defective material..... a $40,000 top of the line 2003 Dodge Laramie has the no more quality than a dodge neon in the dashboard. my dash started cracking and it just became holes.....its embarrassing and unsafe. it always takes DEATHS for these companies(ie. Toyota, ford) for companies to step up correct the problem or settle out of court. i am a fair man, under warranty or not this is clearly not a neglect or non maintenance issue.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 232006

Ram 3500 5.9diesel

the dash in my 2003 dodge 3500 larime has fell all to pieces and dodge want's to do nothing and the replacement dash is $1150 plus labor at the dealer.this is bull sh!!

- , Atmore, AL, USA

Aug 212009

Ram 3500 SLT 5.7L

Constant issue with dodge. they need to fix it. A cracked dash poses problems with accidents and passenger safety.

- , Oakdale, CA, USA

May 012009

Ram 3500 HD 5.9L Diesel

Ok, I saw that everyone else was having cracked dash issues and thought WOW, I must have gotten a good year! WRONG!!!! Now I have so many other issues with this damn truck, whats one more right??? 2 dead center and the other in the tray on the driver side. A buddy of mine has a 2002 and his was cracked too! He called Dodge and they told him that if he paid the deductible that they would put in the new dash. So, for $200 you can have a new dash put into the truck...but you can't have the option of it being the right color I guess. The dealer installed it after having it for a full day and didn't tell him that his once all black dash now is GREY but only where the cracks formed. He now has a grey top and all black interior...

- , Richland, WA, USA

Jul 022009

Ram 3500 SLT 5.9L

I had this truck maintained fairly routinely and meticulously. Just the other day, I went out to do my weekly look-over and a crack appeared from the front of the dash directly over the steering wheel, all the way to the windshield.

Has anyone had any luck in getting Dodge to cough up the repair for this one?

- , Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jul 062009

Ram 3500 Laramie 5.9L

Like so many others on this site, I have noticed within the past week that I have HUGE cracks developing on either side of my dash! The truck has always had exceptional care and I am always getting comments that it looks like a much newer truck. UNBELIEVABLE!! This is my second Dodge diesel truck, and although I love the Cummings engine, I have had interior and trim problems on both!... With that in mind (and considering the current finacial crisis of Dodge), this will almost certainly be the last Chrysler product I purchase! Once I have estimates for repair casts I will post those.

Update from Jul 14, 2009: Well, the first estimate I received indicated that the part alone was in excess of $1100.00! Estimated labor was from $600.00 to $700.00! The body shop owner showed me on the exploded diagram that the dash cap and the instrument panel were a one piece part. This means that everything has to come of of the old instrument panel (gauge cluster, radio. AC vents, on-and-on!) and then be reinstalled on the new dash/instrument panel! This is even a far greater problem than I originally assumed!... You can, however, purchase plastic dash covers (overlays) that match the dash and glue over the cracked top part. They appear (in the photos) to look like a new dash. Price on these runs $100 to $300. This may be an option. The links for a couple of these companies are: Check into them!

- , Brownwood, TX, USA

May 092009

Ram 3500 SLT 5.9L Ho Diesel L6

It is so nice that here over how many years has dodge had cracked dashes and yet it is still happening.. I bought this truck from dodge as a certified used truck in 2005 and have had nothing but trouble with it and now the all mighty dash cracking problem and the damn truck is barely 6 years old.. THIS IS A BIG LOAD OF CRAP AND I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DODGE AGAIN!! THE ONLY THING THE RAM HAS EVER HAD GOING FOR IT IS THE CUMMINS MOTOR!!!!!!

- , Fordland, MO, USA

Mar 112009

Ram 3500 SLT V10

The dashboard in my Ram 3500 is cracked. This is the second Dodge Ram that had this problem not worth fixing with all of the other problems with the truck.

Update from Sep 14, 2009: started with a little crack then became many big ones. i feel this is a safety problem when sharp pieces of dash come flying through the cab. if i was in an accident the air bags would throw these in my passengers face. After careful thought i used window sealant and it stopped cracking.

- , smithsville, NY, USA

Apr 132009

Ram 3500 Laramie 5.9L Diesel

add me to the cracked dash list. Paid $40K for my "dream truck" and have lived with the dash issue. other than that - great truck

- , Lake Wales, FL, USA

May 232005

Ram 3500 HD V6 Turbo Diesel

This being the first Dodge I have ever owned I must say that I am not at all thrilled with how the interior has held up. I am starting to feel like I am riding around in a big plastic Tonka truck that is 5 Christmases old. I love the Cummings motor. But until they let us know that they have corrected the problem (which they most likely won't because that would be to admit there was a problem in the first place and open themselves up to a class action lawsuit) buyer be ware

- , Waskom, TX, USA