1. expensive conversion kit (1 reports)
  2. replace it & install an after market fuel pressure gauge (1 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 3500:

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 Owner Comments

Sep 102010

Ram 3500 Laramie 5.9L

After all the numerous recalls I've had to endure for my 2003 Ram 3500 diesel, the one major problem I really had wasn't covered. The original fuel pump system was such a terrible design, and the problem I had so common, that they don't even make a replacement part for it anymore. Instead, they sell you a kit which requires about 5-6 hours of labor to totally re-do the system (plus $500 parts). Customer service? Forget about it. If you finally get through to talking to your "case manager" all you'll hear is:

"It's no longer covered by the warranty"

Conclusion- as long as your crappy product limps through until after the warranty expires, then screw the customer (aka. sucker).

Did I mention that this problem manifested itself by my truck stalling out in the fast lane on the freeway during rush hour- not a lot of fun trying to steer/brake a 6000+ pound truck with no power steering or breaks! How could this not be a safety recall issue?

I am done with Dodge.

- , Fremont, CA, USA

Oct 062008

Ram 3500 HD V6 Turbo Diesel

The repairs on the fuel pump were $300.00 which would have been more if I have not had a dump bed so the they could gain access without dropping the tank. The real problem was that due to improper fuel pressure it caused the injector pump to go out! ($1,700.00 yes I said $1,700.00) Had I know the pump was going bad by way of a fuel pressure guage ($25.00) I would have replaced the pump!! My mechanic and I are trusted and true friends so when I started calling dodge dealer mechanics to ask about parts and if this sort of thing was common they all (7 of them) stated to the last man, "yea the pump usually starts going out about 150,000 to 160,00 miles, but if you replace it right away you won't have a problem with the injector pump. SO REMEMBER MY FRIENDS WHEN YOUR SITTING IN YOUR TRUCK WAITING FOR IT TO WARM UP, YOU MAY AS WELL STICK YOUR THUMB UP YOUR ASS AND TRY TO FIGURE OUT YOUR FUEL PRESSURE AND HOW MUCH IT IS ABOUT TO COST YOU! That way when dodge does it to you for lack of a $25.00 gauge to fix or at least forwarn you of problem that every mechanic in East Texas knows about, you'll know what to expect. You may even elect to take the thumb as it will be decidedly less painful.

- , Waskom, TX, USA