9.0

2. replaced the compressor on the ac (3 reports)
  3. replaced everything except evaporator in dash (2 reports)
  4. reported leak in schrader valve. replaced, purged, filled (1 reports)
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Ram 3500:

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Owner Comments

May 102011

Ram 3500 Diesel

We have had constant problems with the AC on this truck since we bought it. Replaced the compressor three times and it continues to go out. There has to be something faulty about this AC system. I have talked with a lot of others with the same problem.

- , Pisgah, AL, USA

May 222012

Ram 3500 4 Door 5.9L

I have bought all but 2 automobiles,trucks from Dodge dating back to 1967, somewhere around 30 . the last Dodge trucks both 2006, 1 diesel 1 gas, i have had nothing but problems from motor locking up (27000) miles which was not covered under warranty because couldn't verify when changed oil& filter. The diesel however has spent much time at the Dodge shop problems from computer to driving light bracket falling off . the latest is 4 wheel selector switch ,works when it wants, to now a/c compressor & all that comes with it (for the warranty) at a cost of app. 1000.00 This has made this mopar believer a fan of anything but from now on . Dodge you have done this yourself by not looking out for your customers and the ones that were loyal.

- , Va.Beach, VA, USA

Jul 022008

Ram 3500 SLT 5.9L

I bought this truck new and the a/c went out after two years .Here it is Nov.2011 and I still haven't had it fixed. I had the batteries replaced this past summer and out of curiosity I turned on the a/c and it worked. I worked for about a week then it quit again.I checked it out and I ran a hot wire to the compressor and it would blow cold air.The light on the dash lights up that it is on but it doesn't blow cold.I put a test light on the power connection and it is very dim not bright. Low power I think.I wish Dodge would recall for the a/c in these trucks. David

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Jun 192011

Ram 3500 Diesel Cummins

Part 3: Three times a charm, right? Dealer couldn't find an obvious leak so decided to replace the evaporator under the dash. Saw a burnt electrical junction to the evap box and replaced that too. Had the balls to charge me $70.00 for a "new and improved" air mix door while it was all apart. This seemed to improve the overall flow out of the vents which has always been low since new relative to other cars. Thought we finally got to the solution.....Wrong. Truck currently in the shop for a fourth attempt at fixing. Note: The A/C fixes in all cases seemed to work fine until I took a trip up to the mountains from 110 degree temperatures in Phoenix. It seems that the extra load up the hill and/or the 6000 ft change in altitude has something to do with the failure mode. Stay tuned for Part 4. Bottom line, getting a new truck.

Jun 062011

Ram 3500 Diesel Cummins

Part 2: Metal in freon circuit (probably because they didn't completely purge it the last time) so they replaced everything except the evaporator in the dash. Stay tuned....

May 162011

Ram 3500 Diesel Cummins

Part 1: Replaced the compressor and dealer said they adequately purged the system of metal.

Apr 262011

Ram 3500 Laramie Diesel

Brought my 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 to my dealer with the complaint that I could not engage the 4x4. This was the only problem that I was having at the moment. Ron Bouchard's Auto Stores located in Fitchburg Ma was who I purchased the truck from new. (I still kick myself in the butt for buying from this dealer). Anyway, was told the 4x4 pump was gone (naturally not covered under warranty) but since I had 44,000 miles on the truck, the dealer stated that this was great. Also informed me that I had 2 safety recalls that needed to be done. One of these recall's was for a "flash memory update" to the computer. I told them since they needed to be done, they might just as well do it. The next day when I picked up my truck, it was 70's and I drove it home after paying for the pump. I checked to see that the 4x4 worked, which it did and didn't use it to 2 days later. I went out to start the truck and started the truck, turn on the heater. When I arrived at my destination., I turned off the ignition, and removed the key. The heater blower stayed on. This was a first. I ended up disconnecting the battery so that I could get home. I brought the truck back to my dealer, showed them the problem and told them to fix the truck. The dealer's service manager then told me she would call me back with a price to fix the problem. I was dumbfounded since they had caused this issue. She did in fact call me the next day with a price of $1346.00, since she claimed the front control module had been burned out and that was not covered by warranty. I told her I absolutely refused to pay for the repair since they caused this issue and I wanted to take it up with the service manager. She informed me she was the service manager and her decision was final. At that point, I told her I was going to take it to court and left. Exactly 2 hours later she called me back and stated that back in early 2009 on one of my numerous repair issue's, they had determined that I needed to replace this module, and I had refused the service? Furthermore, she told me that this was a pre-existing condition, since I had refused the service and that I had been living with this issue for 2 years. My truck at that point had less than 20,000 miles on it, and was on 100% warranty. Yet somehow, according to her, I had refused the service? When I asked her if she had the service notice with my signature refusing this, she stated that she did not keep this repair slip, but that she had every other one since they sold me the truck???? Does any of this sound reasonable to anyone?? I supposedly refused to allow them to fix my truck for free? Instead I waited 2 years, with constantly disconnecting the battery only to pay over $1,300.00 to solve this issue? As dumb as that sounded I contacted Dodge, who informed me that after their investigation, they agreed with the dealer, again taking her word that they had informed me of the need to replace this module, again with no paperwork to back the dealer up, and now they would not cover this..... Again, my advice "TREAT DODGE AND RON BOUCHARD'S AUTO DEALERSHIP LIKE THE PLAGUE, SINCE ALL OF THEM ARE FATAL"."

- , Lancaster, MA, USA

Sep 122010

Ram 3500 SL 5.9L

Dodge should have a recall on their AC compressor on the 2006 Ram 3500 pickups. Compressors should last longer than 72,000 miles. My truck isn't abused and I keep my truck serviced. Come on Dodge, you have the best diesel motor on the road, how about building your trucks with the same quality as the motor. $900.00 out of my pocket to replace this part, this should be a warranty replacement, or recall to your customers.

- , De Leon, TEX, USA

Jul 122009

Ram 3500

I have 2 other friends with 2006 Dodge trucks and both of their air conditioners have went out also. One is confirmed the compressor and the other is pretty sure it is the compressor. I just wonder how many others 2006 Dodges have had the same problem.

- , Talala, OK, USA

May 312007

Ram 3500 3500 CUMMINS

My first summer with truck, I was moving back to the east coast. When I left California it was 115 degrees outside. Using my A/C on level 2 it would just about freeze you out of the cab. This summer at only 80 degrees, went to turn the A/C on and it was blowing very mild cold and that was on full blast. Took to the dealer they come back and tell me I have clogged A/C lines. LOL My 40G at work at it's best. A brand new truck and now the A/C lines have to be replaced. What's next.

- , Warminster, PA, USA