2006 Dodge Ram 3500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Ram 3500:

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jul 282009

Ram 3500

I turned left turn signal on prior to turning and a car behind me also had left turn signal on. The car behind me passed me on the left almost hitting me in the side as I began a left turn. I swerved off the road to the right and noticed that even though my left turn signal had been applied, the right flasher was blinking. I searched online and found : NHTSA action number : PE08059. Dealer claims they are not aware of this, nor are they aware of this safety issue with other vehicles.

- Onondaga, MI, USA

Jun 152008

Ram 3500 8-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500. The contact states that when he switches the turn signal to the left the right turn signal comes on. However if the right turn signal is turned on then both left and right turn signals will switch on at the same time. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where he was informed that the tepim module needed to be replaced. He is still experiencing the failure. The contact did not notice any difference beforehand. The current mileage is 12000 and the failure mileage was 75000. Updated 12/01/10. The consumer stated the steering linkages were replaced under recall. However, as he was backing up to a trailer, it snapped in two. Updated 12/14/10

- Daniel, WY, USA

Jun 202009

Ram 3500

Several days ago my turn-signal, windshield wiper switch started malfunctioning at times. For example I would activate the signal switch for a left turn and the right turn indicator light would go on. Or, windshield wipers failed to work or did not perform the selected function. I consider this a safety hazard for obvious reasons and because this is the second switch I had in this truck. A year or so ago I had the switch replaced by Dodge for the same complaint and now it is happening again.

- Burlington, MA, USA

Jun 202009

Ram 3500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram. While sitting in the vehicle, the contact noticed smoke and flames in the electrical harness that hangs behind the plates, where the trailer lights are hooked. He believed that a short circuit occurred. The contact doused the flames with water and took the vehicle to a repair shop. A mechanic cut off the harness wire and stated that the wires were touching other wires in the harness, which is how the fire started. There were no recalls for this vehicle. Chrysler kept transferring the contact to people within Chrysler, asking questions, and giving him the run around. Initially, the contact spoke with the assistant manager at one of the dealers and was provided with the number to Chrysler. The contact stated that he was never informed to bring his vehicle to a dealer. The failure and current mileages were 5,300. Updated 7/23/09 updated 07/30/09.

- Carmel , NY, USA

Dec 222008

Ram 3500

Left rear brake light doesn't work. I spent $200 at two different dealership trying to get the problem fixed and was told that it would cost me an additional $1500 to fix the problem. Something called the tipm was blown and wiring was damaged. I have inspected the wiring and it is not damaged.

- Hearne, TX, USA

Oct 012008

Ram 3500

My truck went in to dealer with fuel problems. They said there was contaminated fuel, water in fuel. I told them the water in fuel light never came on, but they denied my warranty claim. I noticed there was a recall on my truck for the defective water in fuel light. They still deny my claim and are charging me $9000.

- Rochester, TX, USA

Aug 132008

Ram 3500

Putting on the left directional will sometimes cause the right directional blinker to blink. Other times, it will start to blink left and then go back and forth I.e. left, right, left, right, left etc. I first noticed it when a tractor trailer came within inches of pushing me off the road. After taking a minute to collect myself from a near disastrous collision on a 4 lane highway, I could not understand why he did not understand my intention. After this incident, I began hearing an odd click when I would put on my directional. Shortly after this, while sitting at a stop light, I was waiting to take a left turn. I happened to look down and notice that my right directional was blinking. I immediately check my directional lever and verified that I did in fact have the left directional on and the right one was blinking. I have had police cars flash their lights at me because I have the wrong blinker on. I contacted my local Dodge dealer and explained the problem. They told me to check the 4 prong trailer hitch for corrosion. I did this. It in fact was corroded. I cleaned it up and still have had the problem. I was then told that the multifunction switch in the steering column needed replacing. I asked if Chrysler was going to take care of the repair via recall. I was told "no" and it would be about $250 to fix it. I explained to them that I feel a near death experience should warrant them paying for it. Again they said nope. No matter the reason both of these components should be taken care of before someone dies. I have yet to fix it due to the cost and a feeling they should pay for it. I only regret that someone may get into a fatal accident due to this problem and never have the chance to say " I did have my left directional on", and the other party not being blamed for such an accident...I am sure you understand. I have since watched my dashboard every time I use my blinker. I was able to capture this on my camera on one occasion in a parking lot with narration.

- Phillipston, MA, USA

Jun 162008

Ram 3500

I have a 2006 3500 single wheel with 30,000 km(19,000mi). I narrowly escaped a serious accident yesterday. I was turning left from a busy road and was being followed too closely by a fully loaded rig carrying steel coils. I put on my signal and began to slow down to allow the approaching traffic to clear before I continued to turn left. I watched the rig come up on me quickly and I realized he was not slowing down and was beginning to veer into the oncoming traffic lane. It was then that I noticed that although I had on my left turn signal the right turn signal was activated. Obviously the trucker thought I was turning right and was beginning to overtake me on my left figuring I would be, at any second, getting out of his way. If I was not watching my rear view and whipped the truck to the right out of his way, he would have smashed me into oncoming traffic and or put the rig into oncoming traffic. I called the dealer and said I would be right in. They were really good about it and showed genuine concern. The parts advisor informed me that the engineers in the detroit area were looking for a 2006 Ram that had recently experienced this problem. Obviously they (Chrysler) are getting reports from others that this is happening. The part is back ordered which also indicates that this may be a problem which is happening all over the place. It blows my mind that the design of the multifunction switch would allow in any circumstance the signal to cross and cause the opposite signal to work. Symptoms that happened a week before hand were an erratic timing of the signal and a quick flash of the opposite signal light. I contacted the dealer right away and they began the order process on the multifunction switch. It never happened again after that until yesterday.

- Waterford , 00, USA

May 292007

Ram 3500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram slt. When the contact placed the vehicle into reverse, the engine raced without him touching the accelerator pedal. The vehicle proceeded to back up on its own at 15 mph. He depressed the brake pedal, but the vehicle failed to stop. The contact placed the vehicle in drive and was able to stop the vehicle. The weather was dry and approximately 85 degrees. The # of cylinders was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 4,400.

- Crofton, KY, USA

Jul 152006

Ram 3500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

ABS brakes locked up driving on freeway. Intermittenttly blinking off and on @ instrumrnt panel.

- Odessa , TX, USA