1998 Dodge Ram Van 2500 exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Dodge Ram Van 2500:

1998 Dodge Ram Van 2500 Owner Comments

Aug 242002

Ram Van 2500

I have an ongoing problem with preignition (spark knock) in my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 318 cid/5.2L 24,896 miles, my dealer re-programmed the PCM and re-routed the spark wires. The spark knock continued. At 35,067 miles, the dealer adjusted the timing; I didn't think this could be done. The spark knock continued. At 43,281 miles, the dealer replaced the intake plenium gasket. The spark knock continued. At 45,093, the dealer replaced both engine heads. The spark knock continued. At 57,452 miles, I installed a colder thermostat and this helped somewhat, but the spark knock returned. And, today at 74,834 miles I installed a set of truck spark plugs to see if that will help. The bottom line is that this truck has an inherint defective design in the engine which is being prematurely worn out due to spark knock. I would like the NHTSA to investigate, and help me in securing a replacement for my problem plagued lemon. Thank you!

- Murrieta, CA, USA