1996 Dodge Stratus steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Dodge Stratus:

1996 Dodge Stratus Owner Comments

Jul 132004

Stratus ES

My steering and brakes went out on my car at the same time while driving down a steep hill, causing the car to run into a curb and made extensive damage to the wheel, tire, and suspension system. I have had this same issue happen occasionally while driving the car, although I was lucky and wasn't driving a steep hill on other occasions. I feel the car is unsafe. I made a complaint to Daimler Chrysler and they sent someone to investigate. They claimed it wasn't their fault, although I disagree. I experience this same (steering and brake) problem on occasion. Chrylser does not stand behind their vehicles, they blame the customer. I have never had an issue with any other car I've owned, but I've never owned a Dodge before this car. It cost me $1500 to fix using used parts and not fixing the body work. My first quote was $4500 to get it back to the way it was. I would not recommend buying any Dodge vehicles. I will never buy a Dodge again.

- , Redding, CA, USA

Oct 292001

The steering locks when stopped with brakes applied. This car has been a pain in the ass since day one. If you are thinking of buying one think again.

- , Val Caron, Ontario, Canada