1. new head gasket (3 reports)
1998 Dodge Stratus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Dodge Stratus:

1998 Dodge Stratus Owner Comments

Apr 182007

Stratus 2.4L 4 cyl

Wow bet you get tired of hearing about blown head gaskets. Let me say this when this car finally gives out I'll never purchase another Dodge as long as I live! I'll walk or crawl first! When it blew, which I'm amazed it went as long as it did, The engine over heated so bad that it melted the timing belt which destroyed the engine. I purchased a used engine plus misc. parts and had it installed. Chrysler wanted way too much for a new engine thats why I went used. The quality and lack of resale value for this vehicle is an abomination. Riding in this car scares me mainly cause it sounds like a herd of rabid mice are coming through the dash. I bought the car used for my wife cause she liked it boy was she disappointed after a few miles. Never again Chrysler! Keep your trash I'll stick with my Ford at least after 567,000 miles it's still dependable.

- , Fredericksburg, VA, USA

May 042008

Stratus 2.4L

I bought this car 2 years ago and have had nothing but problems with oil leaks blown head gasket, valve cover gasket leaking, wearing tires, strut problems, water leaking, changed time belt 2x piece of junk car would never buy another Dodge.

- , Olive Hill, TN, USA

May 012003

Stratus 2.4L I-4

Head gaskets from factory were too thin and failed, dealer installed a new, thicker one, under warranty

- , Reading, PA, USA