- February 19: Chrysler Recalls Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 recalls | 5 days ago
- January 30: Daimler Vans USA Recalls Vans Over Takata Airbags recalls | 25 days ago
- January 8: Fiat Chrysler Recalls Trucks and SUVs to Fix Takata Airbags recalls | 47 days ago
- December 23: Chrysler Recalls Dodge Journey, Jeep Compass and Jeep Patriot SUVs recalls | 63 days ago
- December 21: Ram 1500 and Dodge Durango Rollaway Incidents Investigated investigations | 65 days ago
1999 Dodge Stratus
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Stratus, Intrepid & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 1999 Stratus engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- runs/idles rough5
- engine failure4
- stalls out and won't restart4
- backfires and stalls1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine25
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline13
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling8
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control7
- NHTSA: Engine2
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal2
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Linkages1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Stratus Model Years
Curious how the 1999 Stratus compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Stratus overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Stratus.