CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Stratus, Intrepid & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.

NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.

Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation. Also the 2.4L engine doesn't have the oil sludge problem.

This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.

8.0

1. replace rack and pinion (1 reports)
2000 Dodge Stratus steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Dodge Stratus:

2000 Dodge Stratus Owner Comments

Dec 242007

Stratus SE 2.6L

About 3 or 4 months ago, I noticed the steering was getting a little loose. At first I thought the problem might be the brakes since I could feel the vibrations from the brake pedal. I had the brakes checked. No problem noticed. Then I took the car in, also to Firestone, for power steering check. I was told the alignment was out. Upon driving home I noticed that turning to the right was stiff or rigid. I took the car back at next opportunity. This time, I was told the rack and pinion is out along with the now bad right tie rod. Total cost including labor is $900. The extended warranty expired July 07. This was not a great way to kick off Christmas. I take the train to work most days for the past two years, so mileage is low. Who could fathom that a major part would be inoperative after only 47,000 miles?

- , Concord, CA, USA