CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Stratus, Intrepid & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.

NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.

Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation. Also the 2.4L engine doesn't have the oil sludge problem.

This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.

2.5

2001 Dodge Stratus steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Stratus:

2001 Dodge Stratus Owner Comments

Mar 032005

Stratus 4-cyl

There was a complaint I just read by mr kevin gilmore ODI cse number 769552, and I agree with him about this complaint be handled as a top prioroty investigation. I bought this as a used car, I knew I'd end of having to put some money into it since I was not buying a brand new car. But I've only had it for 6 months and have to put quite of bit into it. It has 59,000 miles on it. I've had to get the upper and lower ball joints replaced. A month later we heard a noise when we steered. We added power steering fluid cause we noticed it was low. Only two days after we heard the noise which got louder was hard to steer. I drive my two young kids with this car and felt unsafe in it. A friend of ours who is a mechanic looked at it and said there was a leak since the fluid was almost emty again. I was told it was power steering line. It was rubing against the A/C line which is metal and wore a hole in the line. My mechanic said this line was in back order (obviously in high demand). When he finally got it in, seems like Dodge has made some changes on the design. This was my first Dodge vehicle I had purchased and first used vehicle also. Because of this, this will be the last for Dodge and used. I agree with mr gilmore. This needs to be investigated thoroughly before someone gets seriously injured. Again my car has only 58,000 miles on it and should not be having such serious failures. Thank you, rosy & ray

- Abilene, KS, USA