1.5

2005 Dodge Stratus steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Stratus:

2005 Dodge Stratus Owner Comments

Jul 042016

Stratus

Was driving 25 mph driving on paramount blvd at whittier blvd, in pico rivera, ca, when the car made a loud clunking noise, then felt as though we were dragging something. Only drove 50 feet before pulling over, as it was impossible to drive. We thought it was initially a flat tire, until we got out. Our mechanic inspected it, and determined that the lower control arm had failed on the passenger side. It was clear from the picture that the ball joint was rusted and snapped free of its housing.

- El Segundo, CA, USA

Mar 042015

Stratus

This car is a death trap. I have lost control of the steering many times it seems to be worse in any curve. I must drive it under the speed limit at least 5 miles to safely keep it on the road. I am terrified everyday in this car. When using the brakes the whole car shakes violently an does not stop well even at low speeds(brakes are new)

- Fancy Gap, VA, USA

Aug 052015

Stratus

I was backing out of the driveway on his way to work and all of a sudden he couldn't steer. The right front tire just turned in sideways and wouldn't move with any movement of the steering wheel. We jacked up the car to see what happened and we saw the arm with the ball joint was completely detached from the socket. By the looks of it, the crack is near the retaining ring groove. We can manually move the tire as it is completely detached from the front suspension control arm. I was very upset with this and the fact I wasn't notified this was an issue. Not only could my life have been in danger but also my nephew who I let use the car and all of those other drivers on the roads everyday. An issue like this would for sure cause a fatality at a fast speed as I drive the interstate daily with my twin girls. This issue best be fixed and more notification is requested on any other issues pertaining to my car! if its not a recall, make it a recall! very dangerous!!!!!

- Abercrombie, ND, USA

Jun 062014

Stratus

My daughter was driving through a parking lot and the car suddenly stopped. She got out and looked at the front and discovered the both front wheels were turned out in opposite directions. The tie rod had broke and came apart. This could have been disastrous at highway speeds. I was able to fix it at home, but as a father, I worry about just this thing happening!

- Dysart, IA, USA

Feb 102014

Stratus 4-cyl

One day I went to back out, I turned the wheel and hear this crunching, clunking sound which sounded like a huge rock scrapping on metal. I immediately stopped and walked around the car and saw nothing. It started again as soon as I started the car back up. Anytime I turn the steering wheel, I heard this sound. I took it to a mechanic who told me it was the tie-rod ends. He said a lot of people have this issue but there was no recall yet. I called the dealer to see if they would fix it since there were a lot of complaints. Nope ! the dealer said they could not fix it for free without an official recall. It's a costly repair $900-$1100 B/C it requires many different services - tie rod ends, tires, balance, alignment, but they would not drop the price by a single penny. Now they are doing a piecemeal recall beginning with the trucks. Why not force them to recall them all ? I have been on multiple sites and I have seen complaints from as far back as 2003 to as recently as 2014. I wish the government was a hard on the dealers as the dealers are on the buyers.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Apr 182014

Stratus 4-cyl

As I pulled into the car lot where I am buying the car I heard a kind of clunk but was unsure what it was. I went in and made my car payment upon starting my car and putting in reverse to leave my car would not turn in any direction. I put the car in park and shut it off went back into the car salesman and asked him if he could help figure out what was going on. He jacked the car up and checked to see the problem but was unable to see anything until he removed the drivers side front tire. Here he immediately noticed that the rack and pinion had broke free from the tie rod end and was unable to get back together as the bolts that held these parts together were stripped completely out and there was no way to fix..

- Richwood, OH, USA