1.2

2005 Dodge Stratus suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Stratus:

2005 Dodge Stratus Owner Comments

Sep 232016

Stratus

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Stratus. While reversing out of the driveway, the front passenger side wheel fractured and the ball joint detached. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09E056000 (suspension). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Lemont, IL, USA

Jul 042016

Stratus

Was driving 25 mph driving on paramount blvd at whittier blvd, in pico rivera, ca, when the car made a loud clunking noise, then felt as though we were dragging something. Only drove 50 feet before pulling over, as it was impossible to drive. We thought it was initially a flat tire, until we got out. Our mechanic inspected it, and determined that the lower control arm had failed on the passenger side. It was clear from the picture that the ball joint was rusted and snapped free of its housing.

- El Segundo, CA, USA

Jul 192015

Stratus

While I was driving the front driver side wheel broke off it was the control arm I have had it fixed. A couple of months after that incident I had the front passenger side tire also do the same. I got it fixed. Now my back driver side wheel is tilting in like it wants to break off. Since noticing this I have not driven it and has been stuck in my driveway 4 months until I can figure out a way to get it fixed without having to pay for something like this again

- Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 042015

Stratus

This car is a death trap. I have lost control of the steering many times it seems to be worse in any curve. I must drive it under the speed limit at least 5 miles to safely keep it on the road. I am terrified everyday in this car. When using the brakes the whole car shakes violently an does not stop well even at low speeds(brakes are new)

- Fancy Gap, VA, USA

Aug 052015

Stratus

I was backing out of the driveway on his way to work and all of a sudden he couldn't steer. The right front tire just turned in sideways and wouldn't move with any movement of the steering wheel. We jacked up the car to see what happened and we saw the arm with the ball joint was completely detached from the socket. By the looks of it, the crack is near the retaining ring groove. We can manually move the tire as it is completely detached from the front suspension control arm. I was very upset with this and the fact I wasn't notified this was an issue. Not only could my life have been in danger but also my nephew who I let use the car and all of those other drivers on the roads everyday. An issue like this would for sure cause a fatality at a fast speed as I drive the interstate daily with my twin girls. This issue best be fixed and more notification is requested on any other issues pertaining to my car! if its not a recall, make it a recall! very dangerous!!!!!

- Abercrombie, ND, USA

Jun 182014

Stratus

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Stratus. While driving at 30 mph, the front driver side wheel detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the upper ball joints and the lower control arm assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however the aftermarket upper ball joints used for the repaired failed in one years time. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000. The VIN was not available.

- Maumee, OH, USA

Feb 102014

Stratus 4-cyl

One day I went to back out, I turned the wheel and hear this crunching, clunking sound which sounded like a huge rock scrapping on metal. I immediately stopped and walked around the car and saw nothing. It started again as soon as I started the car back up. Anytime I turn the steering wheel, I heard this sound. I took it to a mechanic who told me it was the tie-rod ends. He said a lot of people have this issue but there was no recall yet. I called the dealer to see if they would fix it since there were a lot of complaints. Nope ! the dealer said they could not fix it for free without an official recall. It's a costly repair $900-$1100 B/C it requires many different services - tie rod ends, tires, balance, alignment, but they would not drop the price by a single penny. Now they are doing a piecemeal recall beginning with the trucks. Why not force them to recall them all ? I have been on multiple sites and I have seen complaints from as far back as 2003 to as recently as 2014. I wish the government was a hard on the dealers as the dealers are on the buyers.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jun 032014

Stratus 4-cyl

Its wore out and there was a recall I call about it they told me that mine was not in recall.

- New Market, MD, USA

Apr 182014

Stratus 4-cyl

As I pulled into the car lot where I am buying the car I heard a kind of clunk but was unsure what it was. I went in and made my car payment upon starting my car and putting in reverse to leave my car would not turn in any direction. I put the car in park and shut it off went back into the car salesman and asked him if he could help figure out what was going on. He jacked the car up and checked to see the problem but was unable to see anything until he removed the drivers side front tire. Here he immediately noticed that the rack and pinion had broke free from the tie rod end and was unable to get back together as the bolts that held these parts together were stripped completely out and there was no way to fix..

- Richwood, OH, USA

Aug 192012

Stratus

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Stratus. The contact stated that while driving approximately 2 mph, attempted to make a left turn when he suddenly heard a loud clunk underneath the vehicle. The contact stopped and noticed that the front passenger side tire sheared and the lower ball joint had fractured. The vehicle was towed to the owners home and was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 129,906.

- Winter Park, FL, USA

Nov 132011

Stratus 4-cyl

I was at the store just left about to get on the highway to pick up speed with my kids and myself being pregnant when my right wheel folded and scared the life out of us after holding up traffic and thank god I did not get on the highway. The mechanic advised me that my lower control arm and lower ball joint broke and causing my steering wheel to losen up causing my vehicle to go to the right and could of caused me to be in a serious accident if I woudl of picked up speed with my kids in the car. I was not notified of the recall by email or by the used car dealership I bought this car from and still paying on it. I had it repaired and still makes a horrible noise and fear that the left side may also do the same while I'm on the highway.

- Irving, TX, USA