Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Considering sales numbers and data that monitors complaints-per-make, there appears to be an unusually high number of issues with the 2012 Fiat 500. Perhaps that isn't surprising -- it is the first model year of the car, and those tend to have a higher incidence rate.

Of particular concern is the number of engine and powertrain complaints submitted to NHTSA.

2012 Fiat 500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Fiat 500:

2012 Fiat 500 Owner Comments

Sep 222015

I took my car in to Fiat in slc Utah ken garff they took my car said I had an oil leak then came back and said I needed a catalyst converter I believe the electronic system has been hacked into by the dealership in order to make money which puts me and my 13 year old child are at risk in this car please help I have been though this same thing in buford ga please help I want Fiat to buy my car back I own it out right please I dont trust the dealer something is going on with the electonic system

- Saratoga Springs, UT, USA

Sep 122012

This occurred about 6 times already. When making a left or right turn the vehicle shuts off and coasts until you stop to shut it off and turn back on. The battery and oil pressure lights come on during the coasting. Came very close to being hit twice due to this problem, but the dealer say they haven't heard anything like this before.

- Fort Meade, FL, USA

Jun 122014

Pulling away from a stop light under light acceleration, multiple warning lights came on including "ESC disabled" and multiple light warnings for the gearbox, the steering, electronic throttle control, general malfunction light, ESC off light, and ESC malfunction light, and lost power steering, almost causing an accident while trying to get the car off the road. The car was shut off and restarted immediately with no change. After letting the car sit for a half-hour, the car was restarted and steering was restored and no warning light were on. The vehicle was driven home and parked until it was towed to the dealership. They drove the car over 50 miles and were unable to repeat the incident or identify the problem so they released the unrepaired vehicle to the owner.

- Central Point, OR, USA

Oct 012012

500 4-cyl

The ESC button will not turn off ESC. Normally this isn't an issue, but when I am stuck in snow it would help to turn ESC off. The owners manual even suggests this. My button will not disable ESC some times. The button works intermittently. The dealer has inspected it multiple times. The "ESC off" light should illuminate when it is really off, but this doesn't happen.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA