CarComplaints.com Notes: Considering sales numbers and data that monitors complaints-per-make, there appears to be an unusually high number of issues with the 2012 Fiat 500. Perhaps that isn't surprising -- it is the first model year of the car, and those tend to have a higher incidence rate.

Of particular concern is the number of engine and powertrain complaints submitted to NHTSA.

4.1

2012 Fiat 500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Fiat 500:

2012 Fiat 500 Owner Comments

Aug 012016

500

Failed clutch cover diaphragm spring may result in the inability to disengage the clutch, shift gears and the potential for a loss of motive powerwhich could cause a crash without warning. No accidents to report

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 152014

500

Warning says airbag malfunction, all the time.brakes wear every 1000 miles.wheel bearings went out at 70,000 miles..these malfunctions happen when moving...

- Warsaw, IN, USA

Feb 112016

500

"takata recall" mechanical defect has been detected. My car was on the highway when suddenly it randomly began stating to "check transmission see handbook." I took it to a Fiat dealership in which I immediately advised them of the diagnosis code P0741 had been provided to them at drop off before any work was performed - tony (the service advisor) said that was not helpful could mean anything. (diagnosis means: Torque converter clutch circuit performance or stuck off) I was advised numbers lies and was told I needed a new transmission. Turns out there is a fault in the wiring of the system and computer which is now causing car to not stay in gear. I want to raise all awareness to this issue. Especially since the purchase of this car (only 58K in mileage) I have had to personally replace the following: Number of radiator repairs: 2 sunroof: 1 transmission: Faulty mechanical error total tune ups: 2 brake installments: 3 I was not made aware of any prior issues before purchase all issues have occurred due to manufacture negligence! no accidents have occurred. Please assist me in any way possible.

- Bear, DE, USA

Dec 152015

500

Driving down the highway with my cruise control on, and all of a sudden my emergency brake light came on and the brakes were applied and cancelled the cruise control. There was nothing around my emergency brake. I pulled over to pull it and make sure nothing was making it be engaged. Drove on home with no other problems.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Jul 272015

500

Brakes almost failed while driving, ignition stalled several times, steering is loose at times while driving. Reported on July 27,2015 to landmark Fiat of atlanta, ga.about these problems and no one has gotten back to me as yet for repairs! scared to drive vehicle!

- Aragon, GA, USA

Sep 262012

500 4-cyl

Anytime sport mode is engaged, car does not decrease in speed properly. Even with brake applied, the car lunges forward as I'm trying to slow down. When driving using sport mode, I have to stay very far away from other vehicles in case of sudden braking because the vehicle will not slow down properly. My husband drove my car in sport mode not knowing that it lunged forward when braking and wound up an inch away from someone's bumper after attempting to slow down from a speed of about 20mph. This is extremely unsafe for the driver and other's around.

- Burleson, TX, USA

Apr 012012

500

The contact owns a 2012 Fiat 500. The contact stated that when water penetrated the rear brakes, it caused the brakes to seize. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 3,000 and the current 18,000.

- Monticello , FL, USA