Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Considering sales numbers and data that monitors complaints-per-make, there appears to be an unusually high number of issues with the 2012 Fiat 500. Perhaps that isn't surprising -- it is the first model year of the car, and those tend to have a higher incidence rate.

Of particular concern is the number of engine and powertrain complaints submitted to NHTSA.

2012 Fiat 500 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Fiat 500:

2012 Fiat 500 Owner Comments

Feb 032016

At about 33,000 miles the fuel rollover valve failed making it difficult to pump fuel into my tank and at times causing fuel to spill from the filler tube. The valve is not replaceable so the entire fuel tank was replaced under warranty. About 3,200 miles later the rollover valve failed again. Even though the tank only had a few thousand miles on it Fiat/Chrysler refused to warranty the replacement tank due to the car itself being out of new car warranty by a few months. I refused replacement of the second tank at my expense. There are a lot of details, discussions, and a promise broken by Fiat/Chrysler that are missing here because of available characters to type. Simply put though, Fiat admits having a rollover valve problem. My research shows that many owners experiencing the problem believe it is caused by the fuel pump nozzle itself so they have not complained to Fiat. One of the 3 dealers I spoke with mentioned they are having to replace tanks because of the rollover valve that "sticks". upon checking the valve myself I saw no evidence of sticking yet something was blocking fuel from coming in. Is it so sensitively calibrated that one can't actually tell if it works without special measuring tools" how does Fiat service test it? if it is sticking closed, can it stick open rendering the rollover safety completely ineffective" regardless, this valve was designed not to fail, otherwise it would require an inexpensive replaceable part rather than a $800 fuel tank replacement. I also contend, that, for it to cease to operate correctly after just a few thousand miles (do the math) a good indication is that it was defective when installed. But Fiat refuses to bear any responsibility. Finally, this is not a new problem with Chrysler. I believe extended lifetime warranties exist for Ram trucks and other Dodge vehicles from about 2003 to 2007 for a similar part.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 222015

I took my car in to Fiat in slc Utah ken garff they took my car said I had an oil leak then came back and said I needed a catalyst converter I believe the electronic system has been hacked into by the dealership in order to make money which puts me and my 13 year old child are at risk in this car please help I have been though this same thing in buford ga please help I want Fiat to buy my car back I own it out right please I dont trust the dealer something is going on with the electonic system

- Saratoga Springs, UT, USA

Dec 232013

I was driving home on a road flat/straight road with a 50 mph speed limit. I was shifting my gears (manual) as I noticed that the light ahead was turning from red to green. I could not get the gear to grasp 3rd. Moreover, the when I tried pressing the brake, it did not feel like it normally does. It was much more difficult to push the brake. I was really scared and almost had an accident. I was somehow able to coax my car to the side of the road. I turned the car off, and turned it back on. I fully pushed the clutch in with my left foot, but was unable to moved the gear shift from neutral into any of the gears (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or reverse). I turned the car off again, at this point I took my foot off the clutch and was able to freely more the gear shift into any of the gears. Something is tremendously wrong with this car. If this had happened to me on the highway I could have been seriously injured. The dealer has said that the clutch, bearings, and pressure plate needs to be replaced. My concern is that this may happen again to me if the dealer replaces the bad parts with new ('potentially defective') parts. A recall needs to be issued. I do not want this to happen to again to me or someone else.

- Sparks, MD, USA

Oct 012012

500 4-cyl

Multiple occasions, probably > 10 times in past two months. At low steady speed, such as driving in a parking lot, when I let up on gas pedal, the car does not slow down immediately. One expects the immediate, slight feeling of deceleration on the body, but it doesn't come right away. Usually it lasts about one second. It has lasted up to three seconds. Recently this happened while driving steadily at 30mph, I let up on accelerator entering a 20mph zone, and car did not slow down immediately. This was the occasion it took 3 seconds. I have been paying attention to this issue recently because it happens so much. I have not noticed this problem at high speed, such as expressway driving.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Aug 072012

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler Fiat 500. The contact stated that the fuel level gauge would independently move to the full mark and the vehicle would suddenly stall. The vehicle had to be placed in neutral in order to get it to restart. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, but the dealer could not determine what caused the failure. The dealer stated they would need to contact the manufacturer. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage and current mileages were 8,000.

- Buckeye, AZ, USA