2014 Fiat 500 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Fiat 500:

2014 Fiat 500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 162016

500

The contact owns a 2014 Fiat 500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V302000 (power train). The part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The VIN was unknown. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Tembroke Ponds, FL, USA

May 222016

500

The contact owns a 2014 Fiat 500. While driving various speeds, the gears failed to shift or would delay in shifting without warning. When the brake pedal was depressed, the hazard warning lights illuminated and the radio failed. The dealer was unable to duplicate any of the failures. The radio was replaced on two different occasions. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 32,000.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Nov 082016

500

It suddenly loses power. Not the electrical components but as in it will suddenly and with no warning, stop driving. I can be driving down the road and the acceleration will cease to work. There is no sound. The car is running, there aren't any warning lights, no indication at all that something is wrong accept you can push the petal to the floor and the car won't move. Or it will suddenly move very very slowly. The scariest incident was on 11-8-16. I was on old alexandria trnpk trying to cross 2 lanes of traffic on lee hwy to make a left turn and go northbound. When there was a break in traffic, I accelerated to cross the road. As I was crossing the first lane, my car stopped moving. I pressed fractically on the accelerator, mashing it to the floor with no response as I watched the oncoming traffic that I was currently sitting horizontally in front of; hit their breaks and swerve to miss me. I turned the steering wheel to the right as hard as I could and let the car roll over to the side of the road. The tail end of my car was still sitting out in traffic when it rolled to a stop. I put it in park and turned it off then immediately turned it back on. It started with no problem and the accelerator worked as it should. I turned the car around and started back on the road when it happened again. At that point I called a tow truck. It was towed to the dealer where it was purchased less than 2 yrs ago. After 2 days in the shop the dealer mechanic told me that they couldn't say for sure what the problem was but that they thought it might be the clutch. They said that the 2014 Fiat with the 'dual clutch' transmissions had so many problems that they did not make any more in 2015. It's a $5K repair that is not covered by my warranty and there is no guarantee that it will fix the problem. Further research turned up that there are thousands of Fiat owners with this problem.

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Sep 302016

• 5,400,000 miles

Air conditioner electrical fire and transmission not shifting or moving while on idle.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 232016

500

Transmission overheats, causing an alert on the display to place the transmission in neutral then back to drive. Vehicle is unresponsive until this is accomplished and lacks power. /this occured at various speeds from 35 to 5 mph. According to message boards, this is a known problem. Even received information from the Fiat dealer that they were offering special incentives to replace vehicles with this transmission. This was a sales pitch and not an hones offer to correct the problem.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 012016

500

While in a drive through, smoke began pouring from the hood. Had vehicle inspected, was told this is normal for Fiat, and clutch was in process of burning out. This is a 2014 with 20K miles. The fact that a clutch burning out is "normal" at this low of miles is shocking. Now experiencing acetone smell from exhaust, which I am still being told is a sign of the 'normal' clutch burning smell.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Aug 122016

500

"takata recall" I just bought this vehicle May 2016. It has a hybrid manual/automatic transmission. I noticed the past couple week my automatic transmission was acting a little weird. It's shifting right when it's in automatic. It'll stay on the first gear and rev my engine RPM to like 5 O 6, just a few days ago I had a scary incident I was entering the highway my transmission shift down 2 gears and I couldn't accelerate; I drove off the road. Luckily, no one hurts.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 242014

500

The contact owns a 2014 Fiat 500. While driving at low speeds, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 8,491.

- Hot Springs, AR, USA

Jul 012016

500 4-cyl

2014 Fiat 500. Consumer writes in regards to parts not available to complete manual transmission damaged clutch diaphragm spring recall notice.

- Del Mar, CA, USA

May 292016

500

Slow engage in changing gears, especially park to drive or park to reverse. Vehicle rpms revving very high, rough gear shift. Car rolling backwards on hills when I release the brake, despite having an automatic transmission. Problem is worse when temperature or vehicle is hot. 4000 miles out of my warranty. Beyond angry. Cannot drive car for fear of damaging transmission. I am being told my vehicle is not covered by the recall, even though I am having the exact same issue as described in the recall.

- Seffner, FL, USA

Dec 152015

500

The contact owns a 2014 Fiat 500L. While the vehicle was in drive and idling, the transmisson clucth started to heat up and smoke. The contact had to turn the vehicle off in order for the failure to stop. The failure recurred on numerious occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer twice. On the first visit, the contact was informed that the failure would stop eventually. On the second visit, the dealer advised the contact to place the vehicle in netural to disengage the clutch. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 17,000.

- Las Vegas,, NV, USA

Jan 252016

500

On 01/25/2016 was on I20 driving to work when I started to smell like something was burning then warning lights came on that the car needed to be turned off and that the transmission needed to be serviced, my car had to be towed to dealership. Also the windshield started to crack well for starters my car has been at the dealership since Jan. 25,2016 and here it is March 29th of 2016 and they barely called me that it is ready. Well since reading about powertrain recall and reading that my car has had that repaired once already and now repaired for the 2nd time I fear that this is going to be a on going problem and now I fear for my safety. When I spoke with dealership on 03/25/16 I made shop tech aware that the loaner I was using needed a new registration tag and now today my car is ready well that scares me. When I first spokwe with dealership service department it took them almost 4 days to let me know their findings and the way it was explained to me was people just don't know how to drive the 6 cylinder transmission making me feel like it was my fault when this whole time it has been a issue with this model.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 012016

500

It has the euro twin automatic clutch system, and the transmission is very slow to respond. When trying to accelerate the car will sit for a sew seconds before finally going. It has put us in near-accident situation several times. Its hard to speed up to merge on a highway, or get through a round-about. We never know if the car is going to go or just sit there. It has had the software updates done 3 times, and has been reported to Fiat. All they tell us is "its working as it should" instead of acknowledging that the system itself is flawed. We do not feel safe driving it through town or even on the highway because it just does not shift gears like a should and we can't trust it.

- Mount Horeb, WI, USA

Jan 152016

500 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Fiat 500L. After driving the vehicle and parking it for approximately ten minutes, the vehicle would not move when it was shifted into reverse. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V103000 (power train). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 36,000.......updated 04/01/16 the consumer stated the transmission was rebuilt after five weeks. Updated 04/14/16.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Feb 052016

500

While at a stand still in gear at a drive thru, car started smoking heavily. Strong smell of something burning. Took car in to service dept. Was told that this particular model vehicle has been having issues with stop and go traffic. Was told there was nothing they could do. Researched problem and have found out that there seem S to be a lot of issues with the ddct transmission on these cars. Called Fiat usa and explained to them the problem and was advised that we had to place the vehicle (automatic transmission) in neutral at every stop and go situation. Dealer checked clutch system on vehicle and advised us that yes there was signs of clutch overheated. Called Fiat usa again and advised them of what dealer had said and Fiat usa told me that I was responsible because I did not read my owners manual. I read the entire manual, page by page and nowhere in the manual does it state that the vehicle has to be placed in neutral at stop and go situations. Fiat usa refuses to acknowledge that theres seems to be a problem with the clutch system on this model vehicle even though theres a lot post on the topic on the internet

- Weslaco, TX, USA

Jan 182016

500

I barely had the car over one year before the clutch goes out without warning prematurely as I've noticed is the case with several other owners. They won't fix it under warranty and word it "wear and tear" to keep from paying for it. It cost me $1200 to fix an almost brand new car. I pulled into a friend's drive and with no warning I heard a pop when I depressed the clutch and it would.no longer move or allow me to shift.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Dec 072015

500

The contact owns a 2014 Fiat 500. The contact stated that the dual clutch system failed to function properly causing the vehicle to be unable to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be repaired but the details were unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Nov 042015

500

In all weather conditions when putting the vehicle drive or reverse the car hesitates and is slow to get into drive/reverse... even when at a stop sign or a stop light the car is starting to hesitate before properly accelerating.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Oct 132015

500

My previous complaint NHTSA # 10790955 was filed prior to Fiat diagnosing my 2014 500L. I have been informed that a rear plate in the euro clutch transmission failed causing the the transmission to blow apart while I was driving the vehicle.

- Matteson, IL, USA

Aug 032015

500

First incident was two weeks after I purchased the Fiat 500L. The brakes jammed and I ended rear ending another vehicle. The second incident was six weeks ago after replacing the front brakes. I purchased new rotors and pads;that evening the brakes jammed and caused me to rear end another vehicle twice. My Fiat 500L has experienced losing communication from the computer to the transmission, which caused my vehicle to stall on various streets and while in moving traffic. On Friday 13, 2015; my Fiat 500L made a noise so loud that it sounded like it was going to blow up. I immediately checked the engine and it sounded like a large heavy piece of metal was trying to break through the engine wall. I turned the vehicle off and waited for 20 min. I started the vehicle and the noise went away. As I pulled off the vehicle started making a real loud noise and shut off. The vehicle has been towed to the dealer; however Fiat is only concerned that they do not have to pay for it because the car is out of warranty. My issue is not the mileage; however my safety. I am not easily scared; however I felt like my Fiat 500L was going to blow up. There is something seriously wrong with this car, fca needs to buy back every last one.

- Matteson, IL, USA