5.9

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid:

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 192013

C-Max Hybrid 4-cyl

I thought I had placed my C max in park. I turned car off with power button and went into a store to shop. The car rolled out of parking space and almost hit another vehicle. I forgot to place my C max in park but the car gave me zero warning that the car was not in park and turned off like normal. I used to drive a prius hybrid and that car was push button start as well but the prius would tell me to place the vehicle in park if I tried to turn it off while it was in gear. Ford needs to correct this. The C max should not turn off while the vehicle is in gear. Someone is going to get seriously injured because of this design flaw.

- Lynchburg , VA, USA

May 172013

C-Max Hybrid 4-cyl

** event 1, 17 May 2013: Car failed to start. Some indication of electrical function. Ford service unable to locate any problem ** event 2, 5 June 2013: Car failed to start. Ford service found a bad cell in battery, thought that might be the problem. ** event 3: 17 July 2013: Car failed to start. My ammeter verified 13+ volts across battery. Ford service (different from previous) found a problem but not able to diagnose. ** event 4, 18 July 2013: Car lost all electrical and power while moving at 30 mph. Problem identified by Ford service as being connected to Ford special service message 32167, dated 2 April. Concern #1: power lost at any speed is a serious safety hazard to the car's occupants and to others on the road -- particularly at night! Ford should pursue a recall to find these cars and fix them before injury occurs.the problem is known and is straightforward to diagnose and repair. Concern #2: Ford knew about this problem but failed to locate and repair cars on dealer lots before selling them. It should take immediate steps to located unsold inventory and check it.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jul 032013

C-Max Hybrid 4-cyl

Vehicle battery discovered to be totally discharged after sitting in garage overnight. Told by Ford dealer to "jump start" it and bring in for service. This was done. When I picked the car up at dealership, the service writer, stated that the "computers" indicated that for some unknown reason, the radio had turned on (on it's own, and without any key in the ignition) and had drained the battery overnight. He stated that the service department had "reprogrammed the dcdc module per tsb 13-6-23", (this bulletin is for cold weather charging improvements - temperature for the last 60 days has been over 75 degrees and per the bulletin it would not apply) and this would cure the situation. On 7-5-2013, I entered my garage at 5am, and discovered that the "fuel pump" had turned itself on and was running constantly. The vehicle had not been operated for over 12 hours and the keys were inside the house. I am very concerned that something may "turn itself on" and a fire will start. Vehicle is scheduled to return to the dealership again.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Mar 302013

C-Max Hybrid 4-cyl

I could not start my car at a school parking lot on 3/30/2013. It showed a red triangle warning and wrench light. I called the Ford dealer. They sent people to help me. However, the car would not start for a half hour. There was no issue until 5/9/2013. It stopped three times on my way home when I was stopped at traffic light or at traffic jam. The only way to start the car was to turn the power off and re-start the engine. It might not be able to start right away. It took a few seconds to a few minutes on that day in each case. That is very dangerous on the road. I drove my car directly to the dealer that day. Dealer had taken one week to fix this issue. I picked up my car on 5/16 after they told me that it was ok. My wife drove to school to pick up my son the next day. It happened again at the school parking lot, where she could not start the car again. There was no power for a while before she could start this car. Dealer is still trying to fix this car. It is not easy for local dealer to find the root cause. I think the designer should take over and debug this issue. It is not safe for any driver to drive a car that could stop anytime and anywhere. There is no warning sign until it happens. Driver can't plan a trip to meet the schedule because you don't know when the car will stop running or whether you can re-start the car in short period. I hope Ford can find the root cause and recall all the cars if it is a design issue. Otherwise, someone will have an accident sooner or later for anyone who drive this model car.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Feb 232013

C-Max Hybrid

Vehicle completely lost power (no lights, accessories, etc.) and would not start. Even a jump would not allow vehicle to start. This has since happened on 2 additional occasions. In each case it was towed to the dealer.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Feb 242013

C-Max Hybrid

I have a new cmax energi with navigation. The back up camera goes on when I go into reverse, but it sometimes does not shut off, so I have this distracting screen showing me what is behind me while I am driving forward. Sometimes it changes to the correct screen immediately, but other times it can take up to 2 minutes. I have reset the system, but it did not help.

- Oakland , CA, USA

Dec 102012

C-Max Hybrid 4-cyl

Cpm takes over vehicle operation and eliminates use of accelerator. Vehicle self accelerates to maximum of 35 mph. Electric brakes become very sensitive, becoming jerky and stop its movement very fast. The vehicle has repeatedly went into this mode at 800 miles, 1800 miles, 2200 miles, 2300 miles and approximately 2350 miles. For motor company and local Ford dealership have not been able to remedy the problem after 4 attempts to do so. Unable to get sufficient information from fmc to determine if its a fleet wide problem or a single vehicle problem. The unusual problem makes the vehicle very hazardous to drive and unreliable to use on public highways.

- Mandan, ND, USA

Jan 032013

C-Max Hybrid

Went to start car first thing in the morning for work and it was completely dead. Had to jump start. Took to dealer. They kept overnight and ran tests but could not find anything wrong. Second occurrence on 1/25 - same thing - completely dead - this time it was mid afternoon after sitting all day at work. Had to jump start again. Taking to dealer in the morning. There appears to be no apparent reason it just doesn't recognize it has power and nothing works.

- Indian Trail, NC, USA