1999 Ford Contour engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford Contour:

1999 Ford Contour Owner Comments

Jul 012009

Contour SE 4 cyl

My 99 Ford Contour SE 4cyl runs great for the most part, (103,000miles) up until a year ago (2009)-it would only stall when in park but would always start back up, idleast fo now. It started off with a gas smell in the interior when i had the engine running, then at times it would smell of anti-freeze. I've had a catalytic O2 sensors replaced, VIC gasket replaced, intake gasket replaced, fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wire set, PCV hose, MAF sensor, all replaced (supposidly, think i got ripped off). My car came out the exact same as it went in.

What the hell are we paying these mechanics for, if they are gonna just charge us up a $1000 bill and not fix the PROBLEM. I thought mechanics go to college for this crap, I thought they got paid $20 some/hr to help us with this crap. I don't have faith in mechanics...i've been ripped off from every single one of them. I truly believe it's b/c i'm a woman...and apparently woman are stupid when it comes to engines. I'm not a genious, but i'm not stupid! If I could get this figured out myself, i would. Had it read code, that read System Too Lean To Bank.....figured it had to do with the fuel line. But i wasn't loosing fuel, nor was I loosing mpg....Nothin' This car has me stumped. I'm guessing it may have to do with the vacuum line..gonna try that next. If it's not that, i don't know what else it could be, cuz the car runs great otherwise. to suggestions.

- , Blue Earth, MN, USA