2004 Ford Crown Victoria steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Crown Victoria:

2004 Ford Crown Victoria Owner Comments

Jan 142016

Crown Victoria

Vehicle became increasingly hard to steer at all speeds over a period of several months. The steering wheel would bind and become stiff at multiple positions during turns, but could still be steered with additional effort. During low speed turning it would take an unreasonable amount of effort to steer the vehicle. Investigation and inspection revealed that the multiple universal joints on the steering linkages in the engine compartment were heavily rusted and corroded, resulting in poor movement and the stiff steering. Linkages were cleaned and lubricated and steering returned to normal. During repair it was noticed that the exhaust heat shield was also heavily corroded and beginning to separate from the mounting hardware. If the heat shield separates from the exhaust manifold it will interfere with the steering linkages. The heat shield was removed. I believe that other model years were recalled for both of these issues. According to NHTSA there are no recalls on my vehicle.

- Churchville, MD, USA

Feb 282015

Crown Victoria

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Crown Victoria. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the steering wheel seized making it difficult to make a left turn. In addition, the contact stated that the steering wheel was rusted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 106,000.

- Pewamo , MI, USA

Apr 102015

Crown Victoria

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Crown Victoria. While driving 55 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The contact stated that the failure occurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Dec 102014

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

While steering, the steering column seems to lock and click when moving from side to side. Could actually feel it thru the steering wheel. It gets hard to turn and have to fight it to move the steering wheel.

- Merrimack, NH, USA

Oct 032014

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

When making a turn, I felt a hitch in the steering, like it doesn't want to turn smoothly. It has gotten worse and checking under the hood reveals rusted steering column shafts with universal joints with no zerk fittings. While checking with the Ford parts counter, I found out there has been a recall on these parts.I called Ford Motor Company & gave them my V.I.N. and they tell me there is no recall on this for my vehicle. So I did an internet search and find that there is a recall on this very same thing for 2005-2011 Crown Victoria's(Ford recall # 13S08). If my 2004 Crown Victoria has the same steering with the same parts with the same defect, why is it not included in the recall?

- Independence, KY, USA

Aug 052013

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Crown Victoria. While driving at various speeds, the steering wheel seized and required excessive force to maneuver. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 118,565. Updated 10/22/14 the consumer stated the vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer. The universal joints in the steering shaft were corroded. The 2005 Crown Victoria was recalled for the same thing. The manufacturer was notified. Updated 4/6/2015

- Fremont, MI, USA

Jul 202014

Crown Victoria

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Crown Victoria. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 70 mph, the steering wheel became loose. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was confirmed that the steering shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Cedar Lake , IN, USA

Jun 122013

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

Steering column (lower shaft) was replaced by all american Ford in paramus NJ on 25 October 2011 with a later type shaft (per receipt a 2006 part number). Steering now binds severely at any speed, particularly along the center, in mild turns (such as on a highway). Have attempted to lubricate the U-joints, but the effect is only temporary. Vehicle is unsafe to drive at this point, and it is unacceptable that a critical system such as steering should fail so shortly in the vehicles life span.

- Blauvelt, NY, USA

May 012012

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

The steering column tightens up periodically, results in hard steering, have been using WD40 to loosen up, noticed recall for 2005 model years and up. Blower motor shuts down periodically resulting in loss of vision from lack of defrosters, problem is a hard to reach connector plug underneath hood, tried cleaning, will not clear problem, no corrosion noticed.headlights repaired under recall, lighting control module replaced.

- Blasdell, NY, USA

Apr 152012

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

Driving S on M-10 from I-94 to I-75 entrance ramp. I entered the ramp at 25- 30 mph when the steering locked up, I could not turn the wheel. Before I knew it I hit the curb and then rolled over approx. 3 times down an embankment and finally hitting a concrete barrier which stopped the car. After the accident, the heat shield from the drivers side exhaust manifold was found under the car, you could see it rusted off and you could see the marks on it where it jammed the steering shaft and the engine block (still have the part). Because of the cost cutting in materials in the manufacturing of this heat shield out of sheet metal and not out of stainless steel it is the cause of this accident. Now because of this inferior design and the accident it caused, I'm dealing with tbi, ptsd, pba, neck injury, lower back injury (which is affecting my legs making it difficult to walk). A few days before the accident I graduated with a bachelors degree in marketing, but now because of my injuries I am unable to work. This needless accident has caused me financial hardship, I lost my home, unable to pay my student loans, unable to pay my bills. This all stems from someone at Ford's deciding to cut costs in the manufacturing of the heat shield out of sheet metal instead out of stainless steel. Ford should have realized that a majority of these Crown Victoria's are owned in areas where salt is used in the winter. You would think Ford's being located in dearborn, Michigan would use common sense in their design of this part, knowing salt is heavily used in snow removal in Michigan. They saved a few dollars, but in doing so they ruined my life !! I just wonder how many accidents where caused by this poor design? I wonder how many other lives have been ruined and don't realize it was caused by this defected design. I was just lucky to find the part to show what caused this accident...updated 05/20/14...updated 08/10/15

- Wyandotte, MI, USA

Nov 302013

Crown Victoria 8-cyl

Beginning in summer 2013, steering became noticeably tighter when making slow speed turns. November 2013 the vehicle was brought to a Ford dealership to have an alignment due to tires continuously wearing on inside walls, which I suspect is due to the steel wheel recall (NHTSA campaign number: 07V079000) but Ford will not honor if the car is in private posession. After the vehicle was serviced, I was advised the steering shaft was severely corroded. Upon research, I discovered other owners experincing the same issues. Ford issued a recall (Ford recall #13S08) to inspect and replace the upper and lower steering shaft only for 2005-2011 models. The dealership advised me to contact Ford directly, and I did. I expressed my concerns that this in an immediate safety concern and feel that it should be included in the recall. I was advised by Ford that they spoke with the service manager at my dealership and verified that my car is indeed having issues that are exactly like the recall included. I was told that my car was not included in a recall and that they would keep my information on file for them to review in the event of a future recall. I am having an independent mechanic replace the upper and lower shaft as soon as possible because of the high chance it could become disengaged and render the vehicle inoperable. I strongly urge the NHTSA to investigate this and other cases of 2004 Crown Victoria (cvpi) owners who complain of both the steering issue and the recall that Ford fails to fix on the steel wheels. The vehicle is no longer in fleet use, but that does not make the underlying problem of the defective steel wheels not the responsibility of Ford. They need to inspect and replace the wheels just as they would for any other recall regardless of the current owner, how a recall should work.

- Franklin, OH, USA

Apr 242013

Crown Victoria

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Crown Victoria. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the head lights failed. The contact also stated that a few months later, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the steering shaft needed to be replaced and that they could not determine the cause of the headlight failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Wilmington, CA, USA

Jun 122013

Crown Victoria

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Crown Victoria. The contact stated while driving 10 mph, he turned the steering wheel but had to increase his effort. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic for inspection and they stated that the steering column shaft was corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 126,298.

- Boauzelt, NY, USA