Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2007 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Edge:

2007 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Dec 072014

My car started to drive "rough" and later that day I called the Ford dealership to have it serviced. While there were no light indicators off on the dash they said to go ahead and bring it in on Monday to be looked at. Sunday night while driving the vehicle to the dealership, it just died. Again, no lights indicating something was wrong, it had just not been driving smoothly. After having it towed to the dealership, the next day we were contacted to let us know that the vehicle's PCM had shorted and melted the plugs, intake values, coils, battery and catalytic converter. We have always had this vehicle serviced by this dealer and had all of our recommended and / or required service / maintenance performed. Which is why it is so vexing that something that is not a serviceable item and has no notification can not only go out but take so many components with them. I of course contacted Ford who said that it is not on a recall list and there was nothing they could do for me. I am contacting the NHTSA for their consideration of this item. Thank you.

- Yorkville, IL, USA

Nov 172014

At a stop, the car would not accelerate, loud clunking sound, airbag light turned on. Would not move, had to completely turn off car for a few seconds, only moved a few feet before it did again. Next day same problem.

- Pomona, CA, USA

Mar 012013

Edge 6-cyl

Dome lights stays on all the time draining my battery.

- Manati, PR, USA

Mar 032014

Edge 6-cyl

Drove to panama city, fl. For vacation and parked in apt. Garage. Went to my brothers apt. And within an hour, the parking attendant knocked on the door and said that our car had the fog lamps on. Tried to turn them off and couldn't. had to remove the fuse. Had it checked out and nothing could be found to cause this problem. Fuse is still removed and cannot use the fog lights. Since this incident, the turn signals flash extremely fast.please let me know what can be done to correct this problem.thanks.

- Marissa, IL, USA

Sep 252014

Edge 6-cyl

While driving on a state highway at approximately 55mph the vehicle began to run very rough, the check engine light came on and the car stalled. I pulled over and restarted the car. It started, ran very roughly and had almost no power. I was in town so I drove to the dealer. The dealer pulled a error codes indicating a failed power control module which led to the failure of three of the six coil on pistons. This is an identified problem with this model year with a tsb in place. Ford was covering the cost of failures for vehicles under 80,000 miles. My vehicle, with 97,000 miles did not qualify. Ford should recall these units. It is a known problem and could lead to engine shutdown at highway speed. It cost $2,097 for repair. To be fair, the price included replacing the spark plugs since they were coming due so the true cost of the repair was about $1,950. The PCM was a bad design prone to failure and Ford should attempt to make it right with customers. I called the Ford customer service center and they offered no relief, except to document by displeasure.

- Oakhurst, CA, USA

Jul 012014

Car is skipping or jerking when going up hills. Happens multiple times when car is moving up hills. Most likely transmission problem or sensor problem.

- Export, PA, USA

Apr 012014

The door ajar sensor is malfunctioning. The door is clearly shut, but the door ajar light shows on dash board along with the interior lights staying on. The main concern is when the door ajar light / sensor is malfunctioning, the door will not automatically lock. Even if you push the door lock button, the doors will not lock. This is a major safety issue, because children can open the door or a stranger can hop in the car. Supposedly this is an issue with a lot of Ford's, and needs to be addressed or recalled.

- Lutz, FL, USA

Aug 072014

Upon replacing a burned out tail lite I noticed the socket which holds the bulb was melted. This has happened on both sides of tail lites.

- Red Bud, IL, USA

Jul 012014

Driving down interstate highway, speedometer drops to zero then dash lights all come on. Get off highway pull over and car does not move. Wait about 20 minutes, put car in D, hear loud bang, car lunges forward a little then drives normally. Second time it happened was on highway at @60mph when same thing happens, get off highway and stop at 2nd red light when the car does not move at all. Let car sit for @10 min. Then it starts going @10mph, after about 1 mile resumes normal operation. Have brought to local Ford dealer and had 2 sensors replaced along with a transmission fluid exchange but now today it happened again when I stopped at busy back road intersection then tried to resume speed the veh. Would not move. E-mailed local Ford dealer to let them know that issue was happening once again after sensors were replaced. Prior to Ford also had sears look at veh. Where they determined it was a sensor but could not determine which one. Now that the vehicle is back to me it also seems to have alot of hesitation on wanting to go. This vehicle has never seemed to be the best transmission and I have a big concern about how many other people have similar issues with this vehicle. I wonder what would happen to somebody who keeps driving it without getting off the road" I am concerned for the safety of my family, myself, others who own this vehicle, and others on the roadway around these vehicles when there is a problem. The posts I keep seeing all reflect the same issue and all too often they are told that they cannot find anything wrong with the vehicle, will it take a major accident or death for this concern to be addressed" a vehicle should not keep stopping or producing loud bangs after it stops moving and I think there appears to be enough evidence from enough people who have voiced their issues with this problem to warrant immediate action on this matter.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Jul 122011

Edge 6-cyl

Both rear brake light sockets have burned and charred. Plastic is melted. Bulbs burn out repeatedly. Found other complaints online and found the best solution was a certain bulb that had more glass at the base and it was rated for a higher voltage. That company has now discontinued that bulb as of June 2014 so now I am unsure if it will eventually catch on fire. I noticed the problem several years ago. The bulbs burn out a couple of times a year with the regular store bought bulbs. Again, socket and end of bulbs that come in contact with the socket are very charred and melted.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Jul 262014

Edge 6-cyl

Tail light plugs on both sides were burned/ melted needs replaced.

- Rio Vista, TX, USA

Jul 112014

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving my 2007 Ford Edge with 3 children in it when all of a sudden I lost the ability to not only accelerate but my speed suddenly fell from 45 miles an hour to 15 miles an hour without any ability to accelerate. My car was in a constant state of shaking and sputtering and increased when applying the brakes. There was something significantly wrong and it was pretty scary to experience particularly with 3 small children. I had the car towed to my automotive service company where the car's software system displayed codes indicating two ignition codes failed. Subsequently, the service provider replaced all the spark plugs and two coils. The car was not fixed and it was further determined that the PCM board is sending extremely high current to the ignition coils and could have caused an engine fire. This is very distressing. Ford has issued an internal tsb acknowledging this issue but has not enacted a recall. The estimated cost to replace the PCM, spark plugs and coils (6) is approximately $3,000. Additionally in my research there is a class action lawsuit that has been filed by a group of Ford owners.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 252014

Pulling out into traffic and experienced very harsh shifting. The transmission shuttered and shook, almost refusing to go through the intersection.

- Huntington, VT, USA

Apr 062009

Edge 6-cyl

Tail light blinkers are melting into the sockets. I have to replace the bulbs once a year because they blow, I was also told by a mechanic that the reason my speaker blew on the right side of the car was do to extra electrical power.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 282011

Edge 6-cyl

After pulling out onto a highway, my car would not accelerate. The engine didn't stop but pressing gas did not help. Was forced to coast to side, car shuddered, then stalled. After waiting a few, car started. Was able to drive it a mile to a nearby repair shop. We were called and advised it was a transmission issue and due to miles on the car, it should be towed to the nearest dealership (under warranty). Ford service could not reproduce the issue. We were told nothing was wrong & to pick it up. Prior to picking up, we found a tsb that described what we had but were told there was nothing wrong. May 2013, car did same but this time, the wrench light came on. Towed (to another Ford service dealer),& issue was found. Repair made. Not surprisingly, issue was same tsb we pulled in 2011. 7 months later, car shuddered, & stalled again. Only difference with this occurrence is now the engine died. Towed back to dealer. Was informed it was the PCM or main computer which caused the ignition coils to burn up. So, in short, owning this car for 2 years, having towed 3 times for the same issue, all in 3 extremely unsafe conditions, has left me with no choice but to file a complaint. This computer software issue is a major safety concern and based on other comments found online, Ford is not willing to take necessary precautions to prevent what could be a saddening fatal situation. This car is not safe to drive and the service department at Ford is not cooperative in resolving the problem. It is a known issue yet no recall has been made. So heartbreaking to see so many that have had this same problem as me and know that nothing is being done. I am paying for this repair but will turn around and sell the car. Won't be my death! never will I purchase a Ford vehicle. The safety of my family is my utmost concern and should also be Ford's but apparently is not. Thank you.

- Richmond Hill, GA, USA

Dec 012013

Edge 6-cyl

Taillight sockets and bulbs scorched and burnt together. Signs of high heat.

- Ely, NV, USA

Aug 012013

The driver's side tail light has burned out and melted the bulb and the socket. This has occurred 4 times in the 4 months we have owned the car.

- Athens, OH, USA

Sep 162013

Edge 6-cyl

Second time a year or so later electrical cooling radiator fan goes out. Replacing again.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Oct 012012

Edge 6-cyl

Electric radiator cooling fan quit. Car overheated. Had to be replaced.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Aug 232013

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated that whenever he was inside of the vehicle, he would smell something burning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the ignition coil needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 123,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Elk Point, NY, USA