Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2007 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Edge:

2007 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Aug 232013

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated that whenever he was inside of the vehicle, he would smell something burning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the ignition coil needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 123,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Elk Point, NY, USA

Sep 012013

Edge 6-cyl

We started up our car on a Sunday morning, put it in reverse, backed out of our spot, and then put the vehicle in drive. Right away, we noticed the car shaking, not much power, and it was sputtering along. The check engine light was flashing as well, indicating engine misfire. The car was towed to a Ford dealership. The Ford dealership ran a diagnostic and determined that the pcu had overheated and the cylinder coils melted. They also said the pcu is no longer operable and needed to be replaced, along with the coils and plugs. Generally, engine misfire indicates a tune-up is needed; however, in this case, the car needs a brand-new computer. The dealership quoted us at 2,700 total for the repair. Furthermore, this is a known issue with the car, as determined by Ford, as it issued technical service bulletin 13-4-7, citing this model and several others as prone to this malfunction. Ford should recall this model and have the issue fixed. No recalls even though this poses a fire hazard? shocking.

- Germantown, MD, USA

May 212012

Edge 6-cyl

First occurrence. Turned vehicle on, shifted in drive to leave parking lot. Did not shift correctly, and felt as if it was in neutral. Turned vehicle off, and back on. It shifted fine. Took vehicle back to dealership, as we had only owned it S month and bought in April 2012. They could not find anything wrong. Over time, this has happened 10-15 more times. The computer also seems to be affected by this as well. Today 7/26/2013, I turned on the vehicle, left it start up, began to go into drive, it stalled, and a powertrain light came on. Mileage computer dash disappeared. I turned the car off. Turned it back on. When I tried to shift it, transmission was very violent. Sat in the parking lot for twenty minutes. Turned the car back on, let it run for 2minutes, put it in drive, and it was completely fine. When I drive up hill, it seems to be using a lot more power than necessary, and my rpms go all the way up to 5-6K. Looking for a shop to have the car looked at, or at the dealership.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 142013

Edge 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated while driving approximately 73 mph there was a slight reduction in the engine power. The vehicle began to vibrate violently. There were no warning indicators illuminated at the time of failure. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road for inspection. The vehicle was then taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The ignition coil assembly, hla engine control module and PCM were replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 84,334....updated 07-24-13 the consumer stated after the repairs were done, the vehicle continued to exhibit erratic irregular shifting, although not to the extent for which he brought the vehicle in.

- Temperance, MI, USA

Apr 262012

Rear brake/tail light socket on both the left and right rear of vehicle have overheated and melted the plastic around lamp. Lamp was burnt out. Not sure what caused the high heat problem. No fuse was blown, new bulb worked in socket. This problem has happened twice in the last two months.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Mar 202013

I was driving on a busy freeway in morning traffic and went to accelerate to change lanes B/C exit was coming up - noticed truck just didn't sound right. I floored it and the RPM's shot up to over 4,000 but my speed stayed at around 70. I tapped the brakes and the rpms dropped to right above 0 and my truck started slowing way down quick and I tried giving it more gas but wouldn't go. Then it started shaking and check engine light came on. Luckily I was only in the 2nd lane from outside shoulder and was able to maneuver my truck to the shoulder and turn it off to wait for the tow truck. Had my mechanic check it out and he said the computer has malfunctioned (possibly completely gone out - waiting on him to check it out today) and caused the #4 cylinder not to have any power and that coil is burned. I have no warranty on my truck as I bought it a little over 2yrs ago as certified pre-owned. Called the dealership where I bought and told them there was a tsb issued for this and they acted dumb and said there have been no reported incidents of this happening - they are aware of a throttle issue but not what I described with the check engine light coming on (supposedly it should have been the wrench light).

- Spring, TX, USA

Oct 152011

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph and depressing the brake pedal, the brakes would not respond. The failure recurred intermittently. Additionally, the horn would not sound when activated and the headlights would not illuminate intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing however, the technician was unable to diagnose the brake failure. The instrument panel was replaced however, the failure continued. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Caldwell, OH, USA

Jan 242013

While driving my five old sons to school yesterday morning, I start noticing the car stops changing speed and start shaking all the sudden then the engine service light start blinking. I have slowed down and keep driving my soon to school but it was bad experience driving with morning traffic. I am glad that I am not driving on the big highways the consequence could be different. The dealer told me the ignition computer (RPM) is causing one of the ignition coil to melt and crack. For sure this is a big safety concern on this car that requires recall.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Oct 282012

Driver side rear blinker has been replaced every 4-6 months. Socket is completely melted. Bulbs are melted. Black is all around socket. This is unacceptable and I will not pay the dealership an arm and leg just to keep me safe (car fire). One person said they were charged 98 dollars. That's absurd. There should be a recall and this should be replaced with no expense to the customer.

- York, PA, USA

May 072008

Edge 6-cyl

Tail lights melting, please search Ford Edge forum so you can see that I am not the only one. Also melting blinker bulbs.

- Hurst, TX, USA

Jun 042012

While driving my '07 Ford Edge on the expressway I noticed that my car would not accelerate above 60 mph and began stalling. I exited the expressway to notice this burning smell coming from under the hood of my car. I attempted to drive it to a safe place to park when it just completely shut down. I had the car towed to a well know auto shop where I was told that an ignition coil was burned and the reason my car stalled. I had the ignition coil replaced and the car still would not restart. I had it towed to another shop and was told the crank shaft and cam shaft sensor needed to be replaced. I paid for these services and finally was told the computer on the car was burned and this is the reason that my car would not start. Finally my car has been towed to Ford and I am awaiting its fate. I have only had the car for two years and this is the second electrical issue that I have encountered with this vehicle. At first, I was changing rear turn signals almost 1-2 a week. I purchased my Edge January 2010 and had to replace the battery July 2010. After reading other forums I am concerned about the potential electrical fires that this SUV could produce.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 022012

The 2007 Ford Edge started to have a problems, shaking, stalling. 6/1/12 took vehicle to pep boys thinking it was a sensor or something similar. The ignition coils were melted from a enclose explosion of the part.. upon replacing the parts, the car fail to run properly. Pep boys called the local Ford dealership to inquire Ford dealership knew right away what the problem was. They openly admitted that this was a serious fire danger and the car had to brought to them to fix. Has something to with the engine computer but..... no recall for year 2007 was told how lucky I was that the car did not explode or catch fire. The Ford service dept has run into the problem several times and seem to aware of the danger of this problem. I was forced to pay Ford dealership prices for 6 Ford ignition coils at their price, new engine computer at Ford price plus labor at Ford labor prices, plus tune up. And no assurance that my car would not catch fire or explode for that fact I would say that this is a consumer safety issue, wouldn't you?

- Mobile, AL, USA

Oct 012009

Edge 6-cyl

The rear turn signal bulbs are burning out on a regular basis of approx every 4-5 month. The bulbs and assembly both show signs of blackening and melting. The issue only seems to be with the rear turn signals. I haven't had to replace any other exterior lights since I purchased the car in May 2009.

- Portland, OR, USA

Mar 172010

Edge 6-cyl

Rear tail light bulbs require frequent replacing. Bulbs and sockets are discolored and show minor menting of plastic socket material. The correct 4157K bulbs are being used as per the owner's manual. This vehicle was purchased by us new.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Feb 042008

We own a 2007 Edge sel and the driver's side brake light constantly burns out. The bulb has been replaced countless times and the socket is melted. I just wanted to share this with everyone. A clicking noise has also developed on the driver's side front wheel recently, however we haven't seen anything related to other complaints about this. The vehicle currently has very low miles (24,000) and this seems odd. I hope this information helps others.

- Marlton, NJ, USA

Feb 012012

Edge 6-cyl

Both rear brake light sockets are burnt and melted. This has been reported in complaint numbers 10439124, 10380902, 10372008, and 10307462 as well. A quick search on the internet will reveal numerous owners have and are experiencing this exact issue. The socket that plugs into the brake light pigtail (on both sides) is burnt and actually melted. The drivers side has been hot enough to melt the taillight housing itself. And this is happening without causing a fuse to blow or any type of warning that there is a serious electrical issue. With the recall on the 2012 regarding the fuel tank issue you might think shorting taillights in the same vicinity would be a nasty combination.

- University Place, WA, USA

Sep 122011

Edge 6-cyl

Drivers side rear brake/signal light bulb burnt out. Socket bulb goes into was blackened & semi-melted. Next month passenger side same thing. Next month bearings in front passenger wheel went.

- Prospect, CT, USA

Dec 062011

Edge 6-cyl

The ptu is completely gone and broken and must be replaced, costing $2,000 at my dealer. I have gone on-line and see that others have had the same issue with this make and year. I feel there should be a recall.

- New York, NJ, USA

Feb 092011

The speedometer went to zero and all the mileage information went blank. The front airbag light, service wrench and shortly there after the tire pressure monitor light came on. I exited the freeway and after stopping for the traffic light the vehicle would not accelerate, but moved slowly apparently stuck in the high gears. The vehicle would not shift up or down. The next stop light the same problem. I parked in a parking lot and recycled the ignition and the mileage information returned. However when I put the vehicle into reverse the transmission began to clunk violently! I then switched to drive and again it clunked violently! I recycled the ignition again and put it into reverse again clunking violently. I again recycled the ignition and put into reverse the vehicle trans clunked moving backwards. I then pulled forward shifting to drive again with a clunk the vehicle moved forward as if still in higher gears. I drove across the parking lot to about 30 mph and braked to a stop it down shifted hard. After that the trans worked to get us home, however the cruise control would not light up on the dash or would not function period. I have taken it to hemborg Ford in norco, ca to check with 59,175 miles on the vehicle. Just two weeks earlier the right rear axle bearing was wining and Ford replaced the bearing

- Norco, CA, USA

Feb 082010

I own a 2007 Ford Edge. Recently I replaced 3 passenger side brake/turn signal lights in a matter of weeks. I called the Ford dealer and they told me to stop buying cheap bulbs. Here's the kicker - each time I went in to auto parts shop to buy a bulb, there was some one else there buying a bulb for Ford Edge rear passenger side brake light. And I've noticed a munber of Ford Edge's on the highway with the right rear brake light / turn signal not operating. The last bulb I put into my vehicle burned out so badly that the plastic base of the bulb melted into the bulb socket! finally, the dealership replaced the socket, but not until I almost had a fire. I think this is a widespread problem that Ford is ignoring or denying to avoid the cost of replacing tail light sockets on the Ford Edge. This is a safety problem in 2 ways - 1. an inoperable brake light and turn signal (both contained in one bulb) makes driving dangerous, and 2. there is a danger of a fire if the socket or wiring is getting hot enough to melt plastic. I could send you a picture of the burned out socket if you'd like.

- Monroe, MI, USA