CarComplaints.com Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2.1

2007 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Edge:

2007 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 172016

Edge

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the vehicle lost power. Multiple warning indicators illuminated when the failure occurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- West Port, MA, USA

Aug 152016

Edge

Defective power control module on Ford from these years causes engine to stall, run poorly and cause electrical problems affecting the steering, brakes and transmission. This extremely common Ford defect can create a potentially deadly vehicle control failure at highway speed.

- Havertown, PA, USA

Jun 012016

Edge

2007 Ford Edge has ptu leak, the transmission is not shifting properly, the brake light bulbs are constantly blowing and melting in the socket. The brakes sound like they are grinding metal and the cd player decided to quit working too. I have read online of others having all of these exact same problems. The ptu and transmission problems should not be something that the owner should have to pay to have corrected when it is clearly a design flaw from the manufacturer. I am a single mother and still making payments on this car and cannot afford to pay thousands of dollars to have their design flaw repaired!! when in motion the transmission acts as though it doesn't know when to shift. It kind of feels like I am in a manual and haven't changed gears when I am supposed to and if I don't push the clutch in it will stall out. But instead this is an automatic behaving that way and instead of a clutch I have to give it more gas to get it to downshift or it acts like it is going to stall. This is a problem going 20 or below as well as 55 or above, it also feels like the driveshaft is vibrating the whole car when it does this. It started out being intermittent but now it is a daily occurrence, but it is all I have to drive to work so I deal with it. It needs to be recalled!!

- Spruce Pine, NC, USA

Sep 082016

Edge 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle lost power and was towed to an independent mechanic. It was diagnosed that the ignition coil needed to be replaced due to being overheated by the PCM computer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 37,700. Updated 10/28/16

- Brick, NJ, USA

Aug 172016

Edge

The computer malfunctioned causing engine coils to burn. Ford did not extend the warranty for this common defect. But Ford did extend the warranty for the subsequent malfunction of the catalytic converter, which was caused by the 1st malfunction described.

- Irwin, PA, USA

Jul 222016

Edge

When operating the turn signals in either direction the rear light would not work intermittently at first, and then permanently. Upon pulling the rear bulb housing, I noticed the turn signal light socket was burnt in appearance. Opon trying to remove the bulbs, one of the retaining tabs on one side broke off. Inside the sockets (both sides) were full of whitish corrosion. The main issue here is twofold: If you look online on the Ford Edge forum, you will see many, many other people have had the exact same issue. Secondly, this presents a fire and driving hazard. Keep in mind my wife's car does not even have 70,000 miles on it yet and is garage kept. She does not ride the brakes and turn signals are used as often as needed...hazards hardly ever used. I'll have to pay for 2 new sockets and bulbs with no guarantee it won't happen again.

- Apex, NC, USA

Apr 252016

Edge

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 30 mph, the acceleration decreased even when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The check engine warning indicator flashed. The contact had to pull over to the side of the road to a complete stop. The vehicle was driven to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle needed a new coil and power control module. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Novi, MI, USA

May 042016

Edge

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the dome lights illuminated in the vehicle. In addition, the lift gate warning message illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 082016

Edge

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle shook violently without warning. The contact was able to drive the vehicle to the residence. When the vehicle was turned off and restarted, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was diagnosed by an independent mechanic who stated that the power control module and the coils need to be replaced. The approximate failure mileage was 138,000.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Feb 152016

Edge

My door ajar lamp comes on at random times and when I lock my car for the night, it drains my battery. I have to open and close the door numerous times to get the interior light to go off, but sometimes that doesn't work. Once while I was driving on the highway, my door ajar lamp came on and my auto door locks unlocked all the doors. This has been going on now for 2 months and today it happened again.

- Merced, CA, USA

Jan 302016

Edge 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was not able to restart. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power control module and the coil needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000. Updated 04/14/16

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jan 202016

Edge

One morning my Ford started running rough.a rough idol. Shaking in the body. The check engine light started blinking. I took it to a mechanic that morning to check the computer. The mechanic stated it read as a bank one miss fire.I replaced the bank one coil and spark plug from the mechanic. The car still drove rough.I was on my way to the the dealer the next day, three or four miles away, when the car shut down on the highway between two busy exits. I lost power and control of the vehicle. Thanks to the state police, I was pushed to a safer location.I was towed to the dealer from there.I wasn't told the power-train module needed replacement until after all the coils and spark plugs were replaced two days later.

- New Bedford, MA, USA

Jan 152016

Edge

I was travelling with my wife behind me as and she text my daughter that my passenger tail light was out but the brake light was working. However, when I got home to change the bulb for the millionth time on each side, because I change both and not just one, I went to pull the bulb out of the socket and it was melted into the socket. The bulb was half blackened and charred all around it. I had to pull the entire plugin and then went to the other tail light to do the same and it was also charred black, but not yet melted into the socket. I have found out after tons of research that this is not just one instance. The bulb should have blown or a fuse should have popped. This is a safety hazard and could start a fire. This needs attention time now! the dealerships will not help!

- Fort Riley, KS, USA

Dec 292015

Edge 6-cyl

At 60,000 miles transmission slipping. At 92,000 miles not engaging between 3rd and 4th gear. Cost to fix $3,000. At 65,000, water leaking front of on passenger side, spraying at times. Also fluild leaking on ground. Ford fixed. At 62,000 miles, heater went out. At 86,000 A/C went out. Cost to repair $2,800. At 84,000 miles ring broke on "boot". cost to repair $350. At 91,000 miles ignition switch replaced. Ckeck engine stays on. Vehicle "clicks" and then dies. Biggest problem is when car will not start when, and when car refuses to get in gear when turning left.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 192015

Edge

I was traveling around 40 mph on a state highway when sputtering and vibration issues started with 2007 Ford Edge and check engine light came on. Still drove vehicle to my mechanic which stated coil burned out and sent surge of power to the PCM. Mechanic stated design of PCM wouldn't stop the firing of coil and not to drive vehicle any further or it will burn to the ground. Mechanic stated only the Ford dealership can install a new one and rest the car to get it running. Towed vehicle to Ford dealership who stated they have a tsb issued for this problem and they will need to replace the PCM and all 6 coils because they have all melted. Ford dealership stated this was an on going problem due to a faulty design of the PCM that when a coil burns out (common wear and tear and $100 to $200 fix) the PCM doesn't stop firing to the coils which could cause the car to catch fire. Estimate to fix the PCM and all six coils was $2,958. Reason for complaint - I understand wear and tear on a vehicle, but due to a design issue in the Ford/Mercury/Lincoln PCM, it caused extensive damage and repair to the car and potential to burn to the ground. $100 fix with proper design and now $2,958 due to PCM issue. I am requesting this issue to be reviewed for reimbursement by the manufacturer or recall issued. Thanks you for your time.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Dec 192015

Edge

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. While driving at approximately 40 mph, the contact felt a loss of pressure on the accelerator pedal and the vehicle shook. The contact had the vehicle diagnosed and was informed that the power control failed and the coil melted. The mechanic stated that the vehicle was not safe to drive. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Dec 102015

Edge

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. While operating the vehicle, the check engine light suddenly illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the turpin shaft speed sensor and output shaft speed sensor were faulty. The sensors were replaced, but the vehicle later experienced the same failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Apr 082015

Edge

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. While driving at various speeds, the tire pressure warning light illuminated and the vehicle decreased in speed. The contact noticed an abnormal noise from the transmission when switching gears. The contact also stated that the brakes were inoperable when the brake pedal was being depressed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure occurred intermittently. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 111,000.

- North Liberty, IA, USA

Aug 172015

Edge

My door sensor has been staying on for a month now which I figured out to be my drivers door. Reading up on the Ford Edge forum online I am not the only one that has this problem. Newer models are also having the same problem. What then happens is the inside lights also stay on although they go out after 5-10 minutes. My door also doesn't open with a key even though my fob still works. Ford will fix this for anywhere from $350-$450 dollars which seems like a lot for a sensor. I've had cars with door ajar icons before but never had a problem with them staying on for no reason. I'm 58 years old and lost my job to relocation out of the country ( I'm a dislocated worker) and had to find another job which does not pay much. It would cost me a weeks wages to fix this and that is way too much. Thanks for your time

- Menasha, WI, USA

Sep 062015

Edge 6-cyl

2007 Ford Edge looses power. Speedometer goes to 0. exclamation mark, air bag and tool light comes on. Motor revs up to high RPM. I understand this is a sensor issue with this particular vehicle. And it is a very common happening with this vehicle. With the vehicle shutting down without any indication that it is about to happen. This happens at highway speeds as well as in town speeds. I think Ford should investigate this issue and issue a recall. Thank you

- Haysville, KS, USA