Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2007 Ford Edge miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Edge:

2007 Ford Edge Owner Comments

Aug 022016

My car was parked in a parking garage to go to the gym for an hour. I come back to find the quarter window (truck side window) on the drivers side shattered for no reason at all. I made an insurance claim, but I still have to pay $500 out of pocket for something that Ford should pay for.

- Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, USA

Mar 252016

My car door is closed and my car will tell me that my door car is open when it's not. It leaves my lights on all night and it drains my battery. It also leave my door unlock since it thinks my door is open.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 012015

Sometimes when I stop at a red light or stop sign for an extended period I can smell exhaust fumes in the cabin of the Edge. Not every single time. But fairly regular.

- Newburg, PA, USA

May 012014

While driving at 40mph or greater, the car is skipping, jerking or hesitating. This started to happen while driving up a slight incline but now happens even on level road and happens several times during a 16 mile drive. Service department is unable to pin point the issue and it is getting worse. The other day while it was happening an orange engine emission light was blinking. I have been dealing with this for over a year and all the service department can say is that it is a bad engine coil but they don't know which one. From the looks of other forms, I am not the only 2007 Ford Edge owner this is happing to and it sounds like it is an expensive fix. There is obviously a problem with this make and model and Ford needs to step up and recall it.

- Mosinee , WI, USA

Oct 132014

Edge 6-cyl

Will be driving along at any speed and car will not accelerate, it does not stall but wrench light comes on and you can't do anything until you shut off the car and restart it. This has happened numerous times and hasn't caused an accident yet, but most certainly will eventually. This problem is well known, but is phrased as stalling when it truly doesn't stall, accelerator just doesn't work and car slows down quickly in traffic.

- Williston, ND, USA

Oct 292013

Edge 6-cyl

Took car in to check brakes 10/29/13 tech says he could not find a problem. Drove 45 miles back home and no brakes. Drove back very slowly tyhe same day. Tech says "oh you need a new master cylinder and booster". costs $873. On July 3rd the brakes failied again. Almost ran into a house with no brakes. Had the car twowed. They seem to cannot find a problem car has been with auto nation Ford union city, ga 3 days now with no end in site. Was told by the service advisor that there was a recall on the master cylinders. I could not find anything. He also told me that a recall may have been active when I paid for the repair at the same dealership in October 2013.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Jul 012014

Edge 6-cyl

Weve owned this vehicle for approximately 2 years. The other day we noticed a strong smell of gasoline around the car. Upon checking we noticed the fuel tank leaking from around a seem. When I started checking around for a replacement tank I noticed a recall on 2008 Ford Edge. My car was built in August of 07. They described the same problem caused by contamination near a dimple at a seem. The same tank is on the 07, 08 and 09 Edge. When I checked with Ford they said my car wasn't under recall. I believe it should be because of the same tanks on the 07, 08 and 09 models plus its a safety hazzard as I cannot drive the car and the cost to fix it is over $2,000. Ford should be made to recall all models from 07 on and correct this problem at no cost to the consumer before someone gets killed. I believe Ford knows about this and is intentionally not recalling these models because of the cost involved. I have owned vehicles all my life (I'm 62) and have never had a bad gas tank on any other vehicle I've owned. This is a defect that is a safety hazzard to the public and needs to be corrected!

- Elwood, IN, USA

Jan 012010

Edge 6-cyl

Since January 2010 transmission slip only happens periodically about 8 to 10 times a year..since 11/2012 trembling/shudder to the engine when vehicle accelerates between 45-50mph (torque converter) or replace transmission recommended by service center on 10/16/2013. On 1/31/2013 recall service completed on my vehicle malfunction indicator lamp (mil) on with diagnostic trouble codes powertrain control module (PCM) with 1 or more damaged coil(s) on plugs.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 212012

Edge 6-cyl

First occurrence. Turned vehicle on, shifted in drive to leave parking lot. Did not shift correctly, and felt as if it was in neutral. Turned vehicle off, and back on. It shifted fine. Took vehicle back to dealership, as we had only owned it S month and bought in April 2012. They could not find anything wrong. Over time, this has happened 10-15 more times. The computer also seems to be affected by this as well. Today 7/26/2013, I turned on the vehicle, left it start up, began to go into drive, it stalled, and a powertrain light came on. Mileage computer dash disappeared. I turned the car off. Turned it back on. When I tried to shift it, transmission was very violent. Sat in the parking lot for twenty minutes. Turned the car back on, let it run for 2minutes, put it in drive, and it was completely fine. When I drive up hill, it seems to be using a lot more power than necessary, and my rpms go all the way up to 5-6K. Looking for a shop to have the car looked at, or at the dealership.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 122011

Tire thread wore on inner wall and caused tire to blow

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 222008

I own a 2007 Ford Edge. I shoved a plastic ice scraper between the dash and the windshield. The windshield cracked. Clearly, the windshield should withstand the impact of a plastic ice scraper.

- Casper, WY, USA