Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2007 Ford Edge steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Edge:

2007 Ford Edge Owner Comments

Jul 052016

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. While driving below 2,000 rpms, the steering was uncontrollable and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power train module needed to be replaced. The repair was not made. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 102,000.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

May 212012

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving on the highway at about 70 mph, the vehicle jerked and lost steering power as an abnormal noise emitted. The contact powered off and restarted the vehicle restarted and it resumed to normal function. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer who diagnosed that the transfer case assembly, the compression seal and the roller restrict needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure recurred one year later and was taken to the dealer who diagnosed and replaced the ptu intermediate shaft and seal kit failed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 66,375. The VIN was not available.

- Meadowview, VA, USA

Oct 092015

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed and the front driver side of the vehicle made a loud noise. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who performed an inspection and stated that the steering bolt and nut separated due to corrosion. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V250000 (steering). The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Pittstown, NJ, USA

Mar 022015

Start the car push on brake and try to move the shifter and nothing happens. As soon as I do that traction light comessage on. Still will not come out of park.

- Murfreesboro , TN, USA

Jul 142010

For the last year or more my car (2007 Ford Edge sel) has been stalling. I brought my vehicle into Ford while it was still under warranty and was told they didn't find anything. It continued to happen on and off so we brought it back to Ford in June 2010 and they could not find anything they hooked it up to the computer and did an update, they thought this would solve it. A week later it started again but this time started stalling while driving. It happened while I was driving down a winding hill, I lost completed control of the car and had no steering, I quickly shifted into neutral and restarted while trying to keep the car on the road. It was very scary as I had my 2 children in the car. The car is currently back at Ford and has been for the last 2 weeks as the vehicle is no longer safe to drive. They say they can't find anything wrong. After searching the internet I found 6 or more case of the same complaint with the Ford Edge 2007 and 2008 but yet Ford doesn't know what is causing this.

- Gaylordsville, CT, USA

Nov 082009

Steering noise and steering did not feel right seemed like there was play in the steering, I was having problems at all speeds, dealer said noise was coming from lower steering column shaft. Needed to tighten pinch bolts at steering rack and at floor board. I found on your we site NHTSA action number PE09031 and this is what my problem was.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

May 222008

2007 Ford Edge, continually drifts to the right, on all road surfaces. I have had it back to the dealer 2 times for a wheel alignment and once for the complaint. The dealer tells me it's an evident problem with the Edge. Because I have 18" tires contributes to the problem and I should try changing the tires it might correct it a little.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA