CarComplaints.com Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

8.0

$3,075.00

1. replace ptu (6 reports)
2007 Ford Edge transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Edge:

2007 Ford Edge Owner Comments

Mar 022015

Edge ES V6

Have had this Ford Edge for almost 3 years - began smelling oil/fluids - then a humming/whining noise. Wrench light and ABS traction lights all came on at once. Took to garage - was told needed to have PTU replaced. As I have been reading up on this issue since my car has had this issue it is one that Ford Motor Company should really be addressing - it is a lot of money to dump into a car as many of us are still paying (have it financed) - money isn't easy to come by for the average hard working family. Sad to see such a great car turn out to be a LEMON of sort - or at least it sure leaves ya sour....

- , Bryant Pond, Mai, USA

Dec 312014

Edge

I lived in Montana when I found that my PTU unit needing changing. I'd planned on moving to another state later that month but waited until any dealership near me could get their hands on a PTU unit; I was told there was a nationwide shortage on Ford's PTU units. After about 6 weeks I couldn't wait anymore and I had my car towed, about 900 miles.

- , Slc, Utah, USA

Feb 112014

Edge SEL 3.0lV6

This has to be a known issue with 2007 Ford Edge. I also have to replace the drive shaft which was cracked in three places. That cost just over $1000. I had that fixed first, however after leaving the mechanic, the car still stuttered and jerked.

- , Fayetteville, NC, USA

Apr 282014

Edge SEL V6

There was no power in Drive so I brought my Edge into the dealer and was told the PTU failed and blew metal shavings into the transmission, making it necessary to replace the transmission, new ptu and new cooler cost of $7000. My AWD EDGE has only 53,000 miles and there was no warning or leakage prior to this. Fordedgeforum has 69 complaints for the PTU problem. There is a class action suit being considered based on a design problem with the PTU unit. I can't afford to fix this however i have to as I have no other alternative at this point. The service department at the dealer is oblivious to any known problem.

- , Seattle, WA, USA

Mar 232012

Edge SEL

April 6 2012 Ford said the part was shipped. No part yet. April 25 Ford said they don't have a supplier for the part, April 26th Ford says parts will be shipped mid to late May. They are saying there are 1300 ptu's on back order. Sounds like this should be a recall.

- , Lakeport, CA, USA

Dec 012011

Edge

Paid 27,000 for my 2007 ford edge first year it was out. When just out of the 75,000 mile warranty, the PTU had to be replaced. $2000. Contacted Ford and they were no help at all. Not a phone call, not even a polite letter back.

NEVER AGAIN FORD