CarComplaints.com Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2.0

2008 Ford Edge brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Edge:

2008 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 172016

Edge

No warning indicator given. The breaks decide to stop working. Hissing sound when break is applied. I had to mash on the peddle to stop. Luckily I was traveling at a slow speed. I have 2 children ages 1 and 2 in the car with me. This is an absolute hazard and needs to be corrected by Ford.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Sep 222016

Edge

Needed to replaced brake booster on vehicle with 84,000 miles. Brakes had to be tromped on in order to stop, very dangerous. All else was ok with the brakes. All repairs shops said this should have been under warranty for under 100,000 miles and less than 10 years old. Cost to repair was over $650. Please look into this dangerous situation.-also, still waiting for notification for airbag recall.

- New Cumberland, PA, USA

Sep 282016

Edge

65,000 miles on car. When I press on brake pedal, there is a whistle sound. Took car in to private mechanic for diagnostic. He tells me it is a "vacuum leak." Will Ford cover this?

- Napa, CA, USA

Sep 222016

Edge

2008 Ford Edge at 111K miles, brake power booster needs to be replaced - cost estimate is $650. Symptoms were brake hissing sound and felt spongy depressing brake. Same exact symptoms as bulletin 13N02, where warranty extended to 150,000 miles for years 2010 - 2015. When I called, Ford said my VIN/year was not covered - for same exact issue. Car is at dealership and cost is $650. Hope by registering complaint - this gets addressed as it should. Here are all the similar complaints for the 2008 Edge - www-ODI.NHTSA.dot.gov/owners/searchresults;jsessionid=vjwdxp0bx8B1lb0K0jxzvtndygghmkttyjcqynqzqvqqbmhqh1gz!619774783?prodtype=V&searchtype=prod&targetcategory=a&searchcriteria.model=Edge&stats=325630%2C3%2C2%2C445%2C14%2cedge&makestats=&jsonbaseurl=%2fdownloads%2ffolders%2F&searchcriteria.model_yr=2008&searchcriteria.make=Ford&searchcriteria.prod_ids=325630

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 082016

Edge

First I was driving when my breaks started to feel like they were locking up. Come to find out it was the power break booster which cost me $504. Then 2 weeks later my car starts to do a putting feeling and come to find out 2 of the coils burnt up the power control module costing me $1058. A few months before this it was in the Ford dealership because of a leak on the fuel pump. Costing me $216. I am furious I have had to spend this in the last month. I just seen on the news that Ford has a recall on the power control module but it was not my year. I am simply asking if someone would please look into this so maybe I can get some of this money back to pay off the debt it caused me.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Aug 052016

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving various speeds, the brakes failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake booster failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 104,000.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Jul 212016

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 30 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but required excessive force to stop the vehicle. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the brake booster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000. The VIN was not available.

- Wallingford, CT, USA

Jul 022016

Edge

When traveling on highway with cruise control engaged, a need for rapid braking resulted in a momentary "hard" brake pedal before disengaging cruise control. When stopped at traffic signal with foot on brake, pedal gradually sinks towards floorboard and feels soft and "mushy" attempt at braking while driving along at steady speed (50mph), the brake pedal was hard and resistant resulting in delayed braking action. Potential for accident.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Jul 182016

Edge

Brakes began to "hiss" and then over a 3 month period became ineffective at stopping the vehicle. I researched the issue and there is a recall on the same year and model of my car but my VIN was not included.

- Newburgh, IN, USA

Oct 302014

Edge

A couple years ago, experienced problems with my braking system. I was driving down a road and coming up to a light. Upon braking, the peddle was very, very stiff and hard to depress, the car shuddered a bit and braking seemed compromised...I almost felt like the car would not stop in time to avoid sliding into the car in front of me. I used an inordinate amount of pressure to finally get the car to stop. I was near home at the time so I continued the last couple miles to the house, being careful to drive very conservatively and to engage the brake much sooner than usual to make certain I had enough room to stop the car. Took the car the next day to a local repair shop...after diagnosis I was told that the brake power booster was at fault and needed to be replaced. Repair was approximately $580, if memory serves. I was unhappy at the time of course but, until I researched my recent transmission issues, did not realize that this was yet another problem that many other Edge owners have experienced. I also did not realize that I could register a complaint via NHTSA until recently or I would have submitted this complaint when the brake power booster required replacement. But again, like the transmission issues (NHTSA #10874656), it seems like this is a common problem that affects Ford Edges to an inordinate degree and should be investigated by NHTSA as a potential recall. This does not seem like a regular, expected 'wear and tear' maintenance issue but rather a defect that should be addressed by the manufacturer, not the consumer.

- West Sacramento, CA, USA

Mar 172016

Edge

Brake pedal became "mooshy" and when depressed would make a hissing sound. The vehicle took extra time/length to stop. Took to dealer and brake booster needed to be replaced. Search online and found similar problem and actual recall and extended warranty by Ford for later model years of this vehicle with the same problem.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Feb 152016

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving 55 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to stop the vehicle. The contact heard the sound of air escaping when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the brake power booster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Feb 142016

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 20 mph, the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard and a hissing sound was heard under the driver side floorboard. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle coasted until it came to a complete stop. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the brake booster failed and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was at the mechanic awaiting repair. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA

Oct 022015

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but failed to completely stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the brake booster failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 81,576.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Sep 112015

Edge

9/11/2015 my ABS light started going on and off a few days ago so I checked the brake fluid and it was empty. I filled it up last night and the light still came back on this morning. As I was approaching an intersection this morning, my brakes temporarily went out as I tried to stop. I was able to stop in time though because I was not going very fast. They went back to working after that. Now I am afraid to drive it even to take it to get serviced. I did check the fluid and it is still full.

- Petersburg, MI, USA

Aug 152015

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving at 20 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to stop. The contact had to apply force on the brake pedal in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the brake booster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Dumont, NJ, USA

Jul 222015

Edge

When breaking the break pedal was very difficult to push and slow in reacting. This nearly caused an accident on the first incident in a standard braking situation. After that the breaks seemed to be back to normal. This has happened a couple more times and the car is really not safe to drive. If emergency braking was needed there would be no way to stop in time and was very near to causing multiple accidents in normal driving. We have been told it is the brake booster that is the problem. This is a problem that Ford is aware of and has offered to fix this issue on newer models. This is a major safety issue that needs to addressed.

- Lehi, UT, USA

Jun 232015

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving in a residential area at 35 mph, the brakes failed and made an abnormal grinding noise when applied. The contact had to pump the brakes to get the vehicle to stop. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake booster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 71,215.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 022015

Edge

I have been finding it more and more difficult to use the brakes on my 2008 Ford Edge. I slammed on the brakes as the result of a change in the traffic and my brakes did not react and brake pedal was very stiff and barely moved toward the floor. I feel fortunate that there was no accident or injury, but my mechanic tells me I need a new brake booster and possibly a master cylinder as a result of this faulty part. Much research indicates that this is a problem with many Ford Edges starting in 2008 but recalls only exist for later years 2010- 2013. Repairs will be costly and will take time from my job. If this is such a problem, I do not understand why there is not a recall on it. I am disappointed that I will need to spend $600-1000 to replace faulty equipment that others have had issue with and has caused more recent editions to require a recall.

- Oconomowoc, WI, USA

Jun 052015

Edge

As I was driving to work last Friday, June 5th, I stepped on my breaks and they did not respond. I re-pumped and was lucky enough to avoid a collision. I took the car to five star Ford in plano tx where they have looked it and advised that the break booster is not working as it should and needs to be replaced. They quoted me $618.25 to do this work. I decided to review the recall information as I remember seeing something about this part. Sure enough Ford has recalled the 2012 - 2014 Ford Edge models for the break booster - the same issue impacting my model. I am writing to make you aware of this safety issue

- Frisco, TX, USA