CarComplaints.com Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2008 Ford Edge drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Edge:

2008 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 2 of 9)

May 312016

Edge

In recent weeks, car at times seemed to slip slightly while shifting or there was a hard, lagging shift. While driving on highway, speedometer stopped working, info/trip readout on dash showed dashes instead of numbers. After a few minutes, multiple warning lights showed on dash, including passenger airbag light, a wrench icon, then the low tire pressure warning icon. Readout then changed to a tire pressure fault message. Pulled off the highway and after making a turn, car seemed under-powered/acceleration was compromised. Stopped at a service station, turned off the car, then restarted. After restarting, warning icons on dash disappeared. When car was shifted into reverse, car jerked violently and loud 'clunking' noise occurred. Shifting in and out of reverse, while the car was still stationary, jerking became even more pronounced and clunking noise became louder. Had the car towed to Ford dealer - after diagnosis, was told 2 sensors (the tss & oss) in the transmission were faulty and needed to be replaced. Additionally, was told fan module was also faulty, needed replacing. Approximately $1700 in repairs and was without the car for over a week. After researching issue online, came across many people experiencing the same exact problem in Ford Edges, almost always around the same mileage (approx. 77,800) and for various years. This should be a recall! to be honest, though the car is operating normally at the moment, I have little to no confidence that this sensor repair actually fixes the problem long term as some anecdotal research seems to show that others have experienced a return of the issue even after the sensor replacement. I believe this situation warrants investigation by NHTSA as Ford will deny/ignore the problem until forced to address it. Too many people have this same issue and not only is it costly, but could be very dangerous as well.

- West Sacramento, CA, USA

May 302016

Edge

After driving for a while (roughly a few hours) the Edge does this hard jerk forward that feels like I'm practically being rear ended. It's like a hard pause, before it jerks forward. Then it gradually accelerates. Also, on a few occasions, while pulling out of a parking lot, the Edge did not want to accelerate though I was pressing on the gas. Mind you, I wasn't going fast because I had barely pulled out of the parking stall when this occurred. It barely accelerated then gradually came to a complete stop while in drive. This has also happened while I was exiting the freeway once. I initially thought my battery was the problem, but I had it replaced the following morning. I took it to the dealership and I was told nothing was wrong with it. This was the same response I got when I've taken it to Ford during the term of my warranty. I have noticed that if the "check engine light" isn't on, nor if you're not paid out of pocket, Ford does not recognize a problem. This problem is quite worrisome considering I'd hate to be stranded with my children in an intersection. I live in a very town (los angeles county) where traffic is steady and aggressive so knowing this problem can happen anytime is unsettling, especially because I have been rear ended once for not being able to proceed with traffic at a green light. 2008 Ford Edge, purchase in 2012

- Pasadena, CA, USA

May 182016

Edge

Turned on car and put it in reverse then drive when pulling out of parking lot, . transmission made a loud "clunk". pressed hard on gas but car would barely crawl. Speedometer stopped working rpms would increase dramatically, wrench, check engine, airbag, and tire pressure lights all came on. Continuing on city street problem remained. Car eventually gained enough speed that rpms went down, but the speedometer still did not work. The next day, the problem disappeared except check engine light remains on.

- Echo, OR, USA

May 172016

Edge

Wrench appeared on dash. Car went into "limp mode" would not accelerate rapidly. Speedometer would not register.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Apr 042016

Edge

While driving on city street came to stop at stop sign went to proceed vehicle would not move check engine light on air bag light on no odo data where odometer mileage should be rolled car to curb no response from transmission hut off car waited a min or two restarted car back to normal advised dealer took car in a day later after 2 days of test driving car had same issue for them dealer retrieved problem code P0722 found both oss and tss sensors shorted both sensors replaced car ok now cost $835 this is a safety issue that should be fixed by recall before someone hurt or killed thank god I was on city street at time of issue not on highway dealer would not test on highway did not want to have to pay for tow truck

- Levittown, NY, USA

Apr 072016

Edge

Same complaints as plenty of others. Driving on the freeway at 65 mph and the dashboard lights up with error*, the little screwdriver light came on, shows low tire pressure, the seatbelt/airbag light came on and the odometer stayed at zero. I couldn't accelerate and when I parked it, restarted it and tried to change gears it shook the car so hard and was so loud it could be heard inside the building. Something is terribly wrong with this model / year of vehicle and nothing is being done about it. This is the second time it has happened to my car. The first time it reset itself so the dealership couldn't find anything wrong with it. So now if I pay to have it towed to a shop and it resets itself before they can figure out what the problem is, which is looks as if nobody can figure it out, then its wasted money on a tow and a huge risk that this happening again. This is extremely dangerous and I'm in shock to see how many other people have experienced this and nothing has been done. As soon as I typed in "odo error" in google it auto filled my exact car - I didn't even have to type it, so even google knows this is a major malfunction.

- Pacific, WA, USA

Mar 302016

Edge

Same complaint as dozens of other 2008 Ford Edge owners. Odo error comes up, almost all warning lights come on, tach and speedometer go to zero and car is stuck in gear making is almost impossible to accelerate from a stop. This has happened several times but is starting to happen more frequently and usually on the highway. This is clearly a dangerous defect that Ford needs to address asap before people are seriously injured.

- Leesburg, FL, USA

Mar 082016

Edge

Bought my 2008 Edge in 2012 and experienced issues with odo read error message and loss of power shortly there after. It happens most frequently on the freeway at higher rates of speed (60- 70 mph). I have had to pull off the freeway multiple times and restart the car. Have heard from a few that the sensors in the transmission are shorting out but have heard other things as well. Dealers refuses to look into problem and states since light is not on that they cannot read the code. This is dangerous as the vehicle is hard to keep speed and gain speed once this light comes on.

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

Feb 222016

Edge

Transmission, and transfer-case leaking directly on the exhaust right by the manifold and professional stated it was severe fire hazard and not drive it, and also the rear main engine oil seal is leaking. The dealership was aware of all the issues and manipulated me as a female into purchasing the vehicle. The dealership argued that they were not responsible and that I had a 3 month 3,000 mile warranty when in fact my purchase agreement stated it was as is. Which means they lied to me. The transmission shop who inspected my vehicle stated that the leaks have been ongoing for quite sometime before I even purchased the car. I just purchased this vehicle in October of 2015 and already have made six payments and now I am paying for something that I can not even drive because it was not repaired correctly the first time so it had to be returned again. It is going on the fourth week. I do have a loner but I have already spent over $300 in gas. I only have one vehicle at this time and that is the Ford Edge and it is very upsetting to think that I have made 3 complaints regarding this issues to the Ford Motor Company about the fire hazard issue and have had no satisfaction or results other then they claim it the dealers problem. I have done numerous research about his particular vehicle, and there are thousands of issues regarding the transmission leak on the exhaust as a fire hazard. Is this going to be like General Motors, and wait for someones car to actually catch fire"?? or is it going to be like General Motors and wait for someone to be killed before they will do anything about it" my vehicle is not the only one. There are thousands of complaints out there regarding the same exact issue. I am basically paying for a car that I cannot drive at all.

- Auburn, MI, USA

Jun 012015

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled independently. The accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to operate. The contact had to jiggle the gear for the vehicle to operate normally. The failure recurred four times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the cause of the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Oct 142015

Edge

While driving at 45 mph, I came to a stop light. When it was time to go, my Edge would not move. I had to press the gas pedal to get to move very slowly to the side of the road. This has happen several times. Also, I stopped at my garage door and when it was time to go in, my car would not move. I put it in reverse and got a loud clanking sound. I revved the motor very high to get it to slowly inch into the garage. Thought it might go out the other side since the gas pedal was pressed pretty far down, made it. Took it to the dealer and was told it was a throttle body problem. Paid close to $1000 for repairs. Less than 1200 miles my problems started again, this time I'm told I need to replace my sensors, I did ($900). Now I'm back again. Same problem. This time I'm told I need to have my coil assy and main control checked and repair. Problem starting again. This is a safety hazard and needs to be addressed as soon as possible. Could result in a injury when you are pulling into traffic.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Feb 192016

Edge

I have a 2008 Ford Edge limited. I noticed that when I would get stuck in stop and go traffic the car would not shift from first to second gear. I would have to pull over put it in park and then try to go. This has happened quite a few times. My most recent incident was pulling into a parking garage and needing to back up. When I put the car in reverse it would not engage. It took several times moving from neutral to reverse for it to finally catch with a hard jerk.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Feb 132016

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 65 mph, the vehicle was making an abnormal noise and shaking violently. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the coil and the power train control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was then towed to a dealer but was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximately failure mileage was 87,000.

- Stratford, NJ, USA

Jan 292016

Edge

Car loses all power unexpectedly and randomly, at any and all speeds, anywhere, anytime, displaying odo data error, transmission violently shakes into gears, car revs up but does not accelarate, upon turning car off, removing key, opening door, reinserting and restarting car (if you managed to safely pull on the side of the road), all error displays disappear, transmission clunks in gear and car needs to be forced to rev up to reset, once it resets car drives normally again till next failure. Ford dealers unable to diagnose problem as it leaves no codes. First time charged $800 for "possible" cause that wasn't, now $1700 as PCM melted and took along with it all ignition coils. Guess what, odo data error and transmission trouble still present. Both the Ford company and you people at the NHTSA need to step up to the plate and if Ford doesn't voluntarily recall the Edge, you ought to force them to recall it before someone gets mauled. This auto defect is an absolute danger to the operator and anyone else on the road.

- Union, NJ, USA

Dec 202015

Edge

Same problems as all the other ones. On the expressway and odo light comes on along with a few others and car seems like it stuck in a higher gear and won't excels rate quickly, loud clunk from trans when shifted in and out of gear. Usually have to turn off car and restart a few times to come back to normal. It's obvious that Ford has an issue and I'm not taking it to the dealer and spend thousands of dollars for repairs that won't solve the issue. Altimately it sounds like a software issue and Ford won't recall till most of the vehicles are out of service as to save money. I have been a loyal Ford driver for years but this is definitely turning me to the competition.

- Schaumburg, IL, USA

Jan 172016

Edge

12/13/15 the first time the odo error light came on, it triggered other lights such as tire sensor, airbag deployed to come on after the odo error went away. Odometer didn't work. Turned car off, car would clunk heavily when switching gears. Took to dealer they switched out cable harness and battery.problem went away. 1/18/16 odo error light came on along with same O other lights as before, no odometer. Vehicle would not get out of second gear, ( turned off when arrived home). Next morning hard clunking into reverse just like previously vehicle in driveway no in motion. Seemed to stay in 2nd gear again. Turned into my husbands shop, garage where the vehicle seemed to be okay. Drove to work no big issues so far. Read up on line that 100's of consumers are having the same issue with the Ford Edge and the 2008 in particular seems to be the worst.

- Kennebunkport, ME, USA

Jan 152015

Edge

I have a 2008 Ford Edge and in the past I have had it at the dealer for the transmission slamming as I slowed and excelerated on state and township roads. Also for the vehicle reving high and moving slow from a stop. Lately I've been having the same issues and on Saturday 1/16/2016 I noticed a grease like substance under my car. Upon contacting a mechanic he stated that the leak was from the ptu and that the Ford Edge is known for this problem and that it would cost between $1700 and $2400 to replace the ptu. I purchased this vehicle new in January 2009 and had the extended warranty until 2015. The excelleration issue is as I travel on highways and the vehicle doesn't excelerate. I have to slow down or stop andturn off the vehicle to correct the problem. I feel these issues may cause an accident while traveling on major highway (I-95, rt 202, RT263) that I travel frequently. I feel that with the complaints in regard to this matter, that it should be checked by Ford and repair or replace the defective parts.

- Southampton, PA, USA

Dec 012015

Edge

Sudden and substantial leak under car. Some irregular gear issues when in motion on highway and then on a subsequent county road. Mechanic said the ptu needed repair, to take to dealer. Fortunately, no major safety issues yet, and I'm not waiting for any. Dealer said to take care of it asap, but can't get me in for a week. Obviously not as serious episode as these others I'm reading, but I'm not driving it for a week to avoid a dangerous situation. I don't understand why there hasn't been a recall to avoid a tragedy and a definite lawsuit! I'm being as proactive as I can to avoid a danger, but the cost at the Ford dealer is estimated at about $1700. If there is a recall after my car is fixed, will there be compensation to me? absolutely absurd situation!

- West Deptford, NJ, USA

Jan 112016

Edge

I purchased this vehicle, 2008 Ford Edge sel AWD November 2014 with approximately 82,000 miles on it. Last night when driving home in very slow traffic 5 to 10 mph due to snow on the highway when traffic picked up speed I couldn't accelerate as the RPM picked up but the transmission wouldn't shift out of low. My Ford Edge acted like it wouldn't shift up from low so I could keep up with traffic. I had to pull over on the shoulder not knowing what to do next. I turned the engine off and restarted and it accelerated fine so I could keep up with the major traffic flow. And I did notice recently it does make a clunk when I shift into reverse. Major safety issue here as not being able to get out of traffic quickly and safely and having to pull over on the shoulder to turn the engine off and restart if there even is a shoulder to pull over too could be a danger to myself and others.

- Shorewood, MN, USA

Dec 222015

Edge

While driving down the freeway at approx 75 mph for 1 hour, vehicle suddlenly stopped accelerating, odo went blank, speedo zero, airbag and powertrain lights came on. I cut across 6 lanes of very heavy traffic to exit and struggled to get up the incline. Parked at the nearest lot and shut off the engine. Restarted with a loud clunk and dash was ok except powertrain light was still on. Put in reverse and felt a violent clunk. Drove to a nearby Ford dealership where they diagnosed bad turbine shaft speed and output shaft speed sensors. They performed the repairs at my cost of $856.91. I picked up the car and drove it 80 miles back home 2 days later with no problems. Today, 6 days later, I am experiencing extremely rough shifting, especially at around 40 and 60 mph and very bad hesitation where the entire vehicle vibrates and does not seem to know what gear to be in. Not only is this vehicle dangerous and defective, the expensive repairs are not correcting the problem and have made it worse.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA