CarComplaints.com Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2008 Ford Edge drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Edge:

2008 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 5 of 9)

Nov 012014

Edge

Kept loosing transmission fluid. Dealer told me power train at a price of 1400 + this is a fault of the Edge model with AWD.

- East Brunswick , NJ, USA

Nov 042014

Edge 6-cyl

I sent an email to the Ford company, we have a 2008 Ford Edge we bought new we have always had an issue with the transmission and the car not moving unless you stop and restart it, the issue was so sporadic from the 1st year that we have had in the dealership several times and they cant seem to find a problem, the car would have the air bag, wrench and low tire light on and the odometer would be all dashes, you could floor it and the tach will move but the speedometer would not move and the car would barely move, lately the issue has become an everyday thing yet still the dealership cant find the problem, I was checking online and found that many people are having the same issue with their Edge, many videos showing the exact problem, my Ford dealer is looking at it again. We can not be the only one having this issue.

- Caledonia, OH, USA

Oct 262014

Edge

I have only had my Edge a month, had it checked bumper to bumper before purchase (I work at an auto shop) and read reviews online. I wish I had seen these complaints about the transmission and hard shifting/revving before purchase!! as soon as I bought it, within a few days when I would leave work and try to accelerate it hesitates, clunks loudly, then finally catches and takes off.. I've already had new plugs/boots/coils done, new belts and flushes done. Yesterday was the worst - I was taking off from a red light and as I was pressing the pedal it revved and jerked and banged. So glad I haven't even made my first payment yet and seeing these complaints, already know I'm going to be sinking massive money into this vehicle! please recall Ford!!! I've driven crappy cars my entire life, I finally get something that looks nice I see is just another money pit lemon!

- South Bend, IN, USA

Oct 222014

Edge

Drove the car to work without any issue. After work, I drove to a nearby convenience store by my house and had no issue. I left the store and stopped at a red light. When the light turned green, I stepped on the gas pedal but the car barely moved and was laboring. I checked to make sure I wasn't on the L gear but it wasn't because I was on D. I kept pressing on the gas and noticed a wrench light on in the dashboard. I made it home at less than 10 miles per hour which was the fastest that the car would go.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Sep 242014

Edge 6-cyl

I pulled out of my driveway and everything was fine. I pulled out of my neighborhood and as soon as I gave it any good amount of gas it starting driving really rough and shaking and the A/C went out you could hear the misfire on the cylinders and the transmission was revving high before it would shift gears. No check engine lights or anything at this point. I turned back around and took my car back home turned it off and then turned it back on and that's when the check engine light came on. We pulled the code and it was P0352 (ignition coil 2 or PCM) so we bought and changed all spark plugs and coil 2. this still didn't fix the problem. So I took it in to the dealership and $3000 later they had to replace my PCM (the main computer that run the car) all 6 coils and spark plugs. I did a lot of research about my car having this problem and it seems like a lot of people are having the same issue. Please recall this. My computer should not have gone out when I do regular maintenance on my car.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Oct 132014

Edge

Driving through parking lot when shift between gears becomes very rough. Engine revs- but car has no forward movement. We were able to get the car in reverse, and back in to a parking space. We shut the car off- turned the car back on and the issue was resolved- still shifted a little hard.

- Aleandria, VA, USA

Sep 202014

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving under normal conditions at about 35 mph when the transmission seemed to be slipping and the wrench came on the dash and the car lost all power. I came to a stop and shut the car off and checked the transmission fluid and it was good. I started the car again and it would rev high but barely move. I got home slowly and parked it and when I came back out later and tried it, all the power was back and the wrench was gone and it didn't clunk into gears like it was earlier. I think by shutting it off and taking out the key for a couple hours reset a computer glitch in this car. I have heard many stories just like mine and speaking for many 08 Edge owners we want this recalled. This could result in tons of mechanic bills and unanswered issues for owners.

- Suamico, WI, USA

Aug 022014

Edge 6-cyl

The vehicle stalls at low speeds and at red lights and stop signs without warning and without great consistency. This happens multiple times per day/trip with no resolution. Dealer and independent mechanic cannot identify the problem as no codes are thrown when it happens and it restarts after stalling. This is a significant safety issue.

- Denver, CO, USA

Sep 172014

Edge 6-cyl

Vehicle lost all power while driving in traffic and steering locked when turning the corner at intersection causing loss of control of vehicle. This has happened on several occasions under random conditions. Weather conditions, vehicle temperature, speed, direction, braking or acceleration does not have any factors when this happens. The vehicle shuts off randomly and power is lost. No codes or warning of any kind. Ford factory has investigated, wiring harness to the mass airflow sensor has been replaced but still continues to have the same problem.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Sep 122014

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. The contact stated while driving approximately 25 mph, an extremely strong burning odor emitted inside of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis, who informed that the power train would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 44,243.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Sep 112014

Edge

Hello, my 2008 Ford Edge is having a lot of transmission fricking issues !!!! shifting hard into reverse and from 1st to 2nd !!!

- Fairview , OR, USA

Sep 102014

Edge

The vehicle revs up but doesn't go anywhere then jerks into gear.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Sep 072014

Edge 6-cyl

Bought my 2008 Ford Edge 3 years ago with no problems. Had some work done after a wreck year and a half ago. After the repair, it began jerking whether I was on the highway or city streets. I noticed that when it jerks, I lose rpms at the same time. I have to hit the gas to get it to accelerate. Feels like the gears are slipping and it doesn't happen T consistent speeds. Some days are worse than others and some days doesn't occur at all. It will also idle rough and had before jerked when going from reverse to drive. Also, April 2014, I was backing into a parking spot when the car completely died. I turned the ignition off and then started the car again. It started right up. That is the only time that has happened.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Sep 012014

Edge

After exiting hwy I was slowing down at a stop light. At about 25 mph my dash lights lit up. Wrench, tire pressure and air bag lights are lit. Speed-O was not working. After light turned green the car would not accelerate without pushing gas to the floor and RPM's reached 5000rpm's as I was going through a very busy 4 way intersection. I pulled off tue side of the road and put car in park. While shifting back into drive the transmission did a very loud clunk as it shifted through reverse and neutral to drive. After turning car off and letting set for many minutes it never reset or resolved it's self. This is a very serious situation and needs to be resolved by Ford asap.

- Toano, VA, USA

Sep 022014

Edge 6-cyl

I backed up into the street leaving my driveway, I put it in drive to move forward and went about 50 feet and the car jerked and would not move anymore, I tried to press on the accelerator and the car would not go. This is not an acceptable issue, I feel that if my wife was in the car on the freeway this would have been bad.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Sep 012014

Edge 6-cyl

My family and I were coming home from a nice day out, we stopped at the stop light and when the light turned green we went to accelerate and there was no power, my dash lit up with a low tire pressure code, a wrench code " AWD/powertrain issue" and a air bag code my odometer stopped working and the digital mileage only displayed dashes. Once we were able to make it thru the light "barely" we pulled to the side of the road where we could safely check out the vehicle. Once we determined no flat tire we tried to move forward but the vehicle would only crawl and this was putting the gas pedal all the way down. We were finally able to make it home we shut the vehicle off and when we restarted and put into gear we heard a loud clunk and the vehicle shook and rattled. I researched online I found this has happened frequently to many other Ford Edge owners with no safety recall from Ford "??" this is crazy someone is going to get hurt because of this issue.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Aug 302014

Edge

This has now happened to me twice with both my small children in the car while on the highway, at highway speeds. T he speedometer went to 0, the maintenance wrench display lit up, along with the error message "tire pressure monitor fault" (or something to that effect) and I was unable after stopping at a stop light to accelerate almost causing the person behind me to rear end me. Once getting to my home when putting the car into park it makes a loud clunking noise then proceeds to jerk the entire vehicle. After letting the car sit for an hour I tried to turn it one once again and test driving a few feet forward, it only moved at a slow pace when gas pedal applied.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Sep 192012

Edge 6-cyl

When traveling, all of a sudden the speedometer goes to 0, the maintenance wrench lights up and we get an led message that I cant recall exactly at the moment. The vehicle can continue until you stop. Then it cannot proceed forward. Once you stop and shift to park, then try to proceed again, there is a loud clunking noise from the transmission, and the vehicle cant move forward. I believe it is getting stuck in 5th or overdrive. When a code reader is attached by a mechanic, the code it calls out is for the output speed sensor (in the transmission). Once the code is cleared the vehicle can perform normally. We had the oss replaced by a reputable transmission shop, and it was fine for a month or so. Now again we have seen the problem twice since replacing the oss. There seem to be many complaints on the internet regarding this exact problem. Here is an example: Https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=px3sc2ycmeo.

- Ashaway, RI, USA

Aug 252014

Edge 6-cyl

I was stoped at stop sign my 2008 Ford Edge with no signs of problems. When I started to pull out there was low power and the wrench signal went on. Car would not go faster then 5mph. I was very concerned for cars in back of were impatient and passing. I researched this problem on the inertnet and it seems to be happening with alot of these make and model cars.

- Lehighton, PA, USA

Aug 242014

Edge

Loss of power to the extent of next to no acceleration, transmission not shifting smoothly or correctly, odometer blanks out with dashes, speedometer quits working, airbag light and transmission wrench illuminate in the gauge cluster.

- Yuma, AZ, USA