Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2008 Ford Edge drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Edge:

2008 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 9 of 9)

Jun 102011

We bought our Edge certified through the local Ford dealership and within months the transmission would violently shift between first and second. When I took it in they said they couldn't replicate the problem. It happens at least a few times a month and I'm nervous that there will be complete failure once we are outside the warranty period.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Apr 152012

Edge 6-cyl

The transmission will occasionally fail to engage properly when accelerating from a stop. The vehicle will initially move forward but then will fail to accelerate as the engine continues to increase RPM. This has occurred multiple times. The first maintenance performed at Ford was to rebuild the transmission. After the repair there were no problems for almost 4 months and then the transmission problem recurred. This last time it occurred almost caused an horrific accident. As the auto accelerated from a side street to make a left hand turn onto a four lane highway, the transmission failed to accelerate after its initial acceleration and stopped in the middle of oncoming traffic. A T-bone accident was barely avoided. The second Ford repair was to replace a 'sensor' and was just picked up today from Ford.

- Peachtree City, GA, USA

Apr 132011

Edge 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. The contact stated that after shifting into park, the shifter would become stuck. The contact would have to shut off and restart the vehicle in order for the gear selector to dislodge. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they advised him that they were unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer had not been contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 20,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 06/05/12 updated 06/06/2012

- Sikeston, MO, USA

Mar 242012

I was in drive and stopped at a light on a hill with an automatic transmission. When the light turned green and I took my foot off the brake I started rolling backwards. It didn't stop rolling until I put my foot back on the brake.

- Pleasantville, NJ, USA

Jan 212009

Edge 6-cyl

Ongoing transmission issues since purchased new. Been to repair for more than 17 days and issues still remain unresolved. Took car in for regular scheduled oil changes and approximately 30,000 miles the camphasers ( Ford admitted wrong camphasers had been installed) were replaced. Coolant problem discovered as well when vehicle engine was removed. Odd odor coming from heater, when vehicle returned after camphaser and coolant issue did not resolve situation, and vehicle returned to galpin Ford service, was told that axle and bearing were broken and that the steering wheel was not in proper position. I am deeply concerned for other Ford Edge owners as well as members of the public who may be affected by vehicle that does not properly engage and appears to stall before moving forward.... this is an enormously serious issue, that should not be ignored. Reading the prior complaints, tells me this is not a new problem, and that consumers and Ford are aware of the transmissions issues. Please assist.

- Van Nuys, CA, USA

Dec 202011

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated very slowly from stops. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on fifteen occasions, but they could not diagnose a failure. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and the contact was finally informed that the vehicle was equipped with incorrect cam phasers. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure continued. The vehicle was again taken back to the dealer and the contact was informed that the axle and wheel bearings were damaged. The contact was informed that this may be the cause of the poor acceleration failure. The vehicle was again repaired and the failure continued. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Van Nuys, CA, USA

Jul 212008

This problem has occurred since first few months of owning it. At times while driving at all speeds the car's power goes away in the sense you might be driving 68 then the car starts to slow down, then slam, there is a loud mechanical slam, and the car feels like you ran it to something metal or solid. It literally shakes the whole car scares the !@#$ out of you. It"S usually on the express way and more when it?S cold. It seems when I"M barely increasing the gas, then letting off a bit, then back on the gas again. The local Ford dealer found a bulletin from Ford stating that replacing the transmission doesn't fix this problem to wait for further investigation. We have been waiting since 2008. The car runs great other then this problem. This might not happen for weeks then it will happen as many of 3 times in a 5 mile drive. I went on a 2 hour trip this week. It happened twice on the way up and once on the way back. As soon as we take it to the dealer it doesn't happen. I've asked them to keep the car for a week and drive it. That hasn't happened. They keep throwing their hands in the air. I wish it would just lock up so they can find something. I have seen others with the same problems but yet Ford hasn't fixed it.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 032012

Edge 6-cyl

The power take off unit (transfer case) developed a leak on the right hand side. The leak drips onto the exhaust pipe creating smoke and an awful smell. This could result in a fire.

- Richmond, KY, USA

Mar 242011

My wife was driving the vehicle and upon acceleration from a complete stop, the vehicle randomly would go into a "neutral-like" state. Rpms would increase dramatically, but the car would crawl between 3-5mph. The message, "od read error" would display on the dashboard, power steering would go out and brakes would not respond well (it was as if the car had turned off). When shifting from drive to park or reverse, the vehicle would jerk forward violently, as if rear-ended. Once the car was turned off and started again, the problem would go away. We brought the vehicle to the dealership multiple times and the dealership even determined that the transmission needed to be replaced. This was only at 37,600 miles. The dealer said it was a transmission issue, but it appears to be an on-board computer issue as well. After transmission was replaced, 5 weeks later had issue with shifting into first gear. Vehicle shifted very hard into first gear. Car is back down at the dealership again. Wrote a letter to Ford expressing my concern and requested the car be repurchased, they denied my request.

- Concord, CA, USA

Jun 242009

Edge 6-cyl

Occasionally, (once or twice a year) the vehicle jerks violently once between 20-45 mph when slowing and then accelerating. Feels like the vehicle was rear ended or hit a huge pot hole. This has happened very intermittently. Recently, it is happening once or twice a month. Local Ford dealer checked PCM (?) calibration and updated it to tsb 08. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

- Eagan, MN, USA

Nov 142011

Edge 6-cyl

My vehicle is a 2008 and it only has 109,000 miles on it and I started to hear a whining sound, brought it to the auto mechanic and they said that it might be something in the transmission such as a bearing. Well to my surprise they transmission dealer advised me that I needed a whole new transmission. Transmissions are supposed to last a long time and this is very unexpected. $3800 for a new transmission. I have always heard a clunking sound coming from the transmission when it shifted gears or when I put in in reverse.

- Hamburg, NJ, USA

Mar 052008

Edge 6-cyl

Purchased Ford Edge new 2008. Had problems since beginning. Driving low speed it slipped into L, twice. Brought car in several times complaining spitting and sputtering, bucking like choking. (I do not have exact date of complaint today but entered approximate- in process of obtaining history ). brought car into Ford dealer in albany where I was told bad gas and one time a broken seal but not told where seal was. Car now 4 yrs w/ only 65466. Miles. Always got synthetic oil change for more $ to insure extended coverage on powertrain or so was informed would be the case. I asked, how can I get a 4000 mile extended coverage on the powertrain when I am only to get the oil changed at 5 - 6000 miles, I was told "don't worry about it". Oct. 2011 car sputtered and spit after filling tank. I hoped was due to bad gas as told in past, however, this time, the car would only go 30 mph, any faster, car acted like was in neutral. Orange wrench light came on, I called Ford garage, aaa was towed in. No warranty I am told because I didn't purchase an extended warranty. Why did I need it? I was told I would be ok with the synthetic oil changes and extended coverage on the powertrain. In addition, I am being told because only did a transmission flush at 30,000 not 60,000, not covered. We all know car should not need new transmission at 65466 miles regardless. Treated car like a child. Want nothing else. Been w/ Ford / now Ford/ Mazda since 18yrs old, now 52. Loyalty gets nowhere. In process of obtaining history all complaints since new to fight no support. All this and the end will result with me having no car and considerable expense and ultimately no more good credit if I throw the keys at them and say keep it !

- Watervliet, NY, USA

Oct 032011

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. The contact stated that occasionally when driving at low speeds the vehicle would change gears violently, causing the vehicle to lunge forward abnormally. The dealer diagnosed that there were no failures within the vehicle. The manufacturer was contacted but denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The failure mileage was unavailable and the current mileage was 41,000.

- Wylie, TX, USA

Aug 152011

Edge 6-cyl

Whenever you accelerate, the transmission begins to jerk. The power train problem indicator light will come on and go off. The car frequently jerks.

- Lester, WV, USA