Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2008 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Edge:

2008 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Oct 052012

Edge 6-cyl

I am unable to "select affected parts" in this form: Parts - power train, transmission, battery. Over the past 6 months there have been numerous incidents where my vehicle, upon returning to speed or entering a roadway/highway, or otherwise entering a roadway, it has made a noise, a sudden jerk, seem to hold speed (fail to increase speed) and seems to feel like it is failing to changed gears (appears to rev in rpms slightly), then jerks again, and comes back into routine shifting. It is an automatic. This happens often. I have had the fluid check, flushed, replaced, asked my mechanic and she can find no issues. It seems to feel like it bogs down, but rpms appear to increase (almost as if it is not in gear/neutral). It seems to be happening more and more frequently. I have routinely checked my car for recalls. And I should note have had the ball bearing go bad (as recalled) and replaced, including the entire arm on the left rear. Additionally, my battery has failed and been replaced (approximately 3 years ago) and has since required replacement again. It needs to be jumped started, and upon first replacement (by Ford) it was noted not all cylinders or cells were charged/charging.

- Great Mills , MD, USA

Apr 032013

Edge 6-cyl

Rear brake/tail light socket on both the left and right rear of vehicle have overheated and melted the plastic around lamp. Lamp was burnt out. Not sure what caused the high heat problem. No fuse was blown, new bulb worked in socket. This problem has happened twice in the last two months.

- Urbana, IL, USA

Mar 052013

Edge 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle suddenly jerked and all the warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was able to be driven to the dealer who stated that the computer system needed to be reset. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified and a complaint was filed. The failure mileage was 41,800.

- Van Nuys, CA, USA

Mar 152011

Edge 6-cyl

Tail lights burn up, melt. Sockets are burned black......

- Buffalo, MN, USA

Jan 122013

Melted rear turn signal socket. It is the second time I have to change the light bulb and socket. This is dangerous!

- Sevierville, TN, USA

Nov 082012

Rear tail light socket is melted.

- Boise, ID, USA

Oct 052012

Edge 6-cyl

I noticed at a stop light, when making a left turn, the inside indicator was blinking fast, telling me I had an issue. Once home, I checked my turn signals, driver side was not working at all. Had my son change the bulb and found the plastic at the base of the bulb was severely melted. The socket was darkened but still in working order, replaced the bulb and is working for now. Went to Ford dealer that I bought the vehicle from and they said they knew nothing about this issue with other Edge's. (what ever !) I wanted them to look and the socket and harness but they wanted $98 just to "check it out". and of course, I'm out of the 30 month / 36K warranty. Good thing I carry full coverage, because if the car burns to the ground, you can bet I won't be buying another Ford.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

May 152012

Edge 6-cyl

This has happened several times. The vehicle was moving forward and all of a sudden the air bag light & the check engine light came on & the display said "no odometer available". when I came to a stop, the car would not move - it was like it was in neutral then all the sudden the transmission engaged with a loud clunk & the car moved & all the lights went out. A wrench appeared on the dashboard and the screen read odo error with dashes. I could not go. It was as if my car was stuck in neutral. Even after turning the car off and on several times it did not remedy the problem. It also was shifting hard from park to drive, etc.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Aug 102012

Rear tail lights stopped working. Upon inspection the bulb connector and socket had over heated and melted.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jul 212010

Edge 6-cyl

Burnt out turn signal bulb. Upon installation of new bulb I found the socket to be melted on both sides. Took car into Ford dealership where they replaced the sockets and inserted new bulbs. A few months later another burnt bulb with discolored sockets. Changed bulb again. Now I'm up to about 6 bulb changes with 4 being done by the dealer.

- Saginaw, TX, USA

Apr 262012

Edge 6-cyl

I own a 2008 Ford Edge. I have had it for just over 30 days and have had problems with it since the week that I purchased it. I have had it to the dealership several times and they are telling me that since there are no codes reading out and no light on and that they cant replicate the problem that they don't know what to do. I am supposed to monitor and call back with worse symptoms. I called them in Thursday because I was on my way to work and my car skipped the whole way up a hill on the highway and when I got to the top of it my car completely powered down and shut off with the key still in the ignition and in the in position. I had to get off the road very quickly to avoid being hit by a 18 wheeler. I am happy that my child was not in the car but I am now scared for my family and my safety as well as others. Severely unhappy with this vehicle!!!!!

- Stevens , PA, USA

Jan 262012

The audio system in my 2008 Edge contains a gps and sirius satellite radio as well as the normal options. One morning, the sirius radio reception was degraded to the point that the signal could only be heard weakly at full volume. I worked through the diagnostics with sirius and was told that it was a Ford hardware problem. I took the car to the Ford dealer, who charged me $98 to run a diagnostic that pointed to a broken antenna mount assembly, with a price tag of $600 before labor. I did not accept the offer. Two weeks later, the problem suddenly resolved itself and reception returned to normal. At no time during this process did I mess with the connections to the receiver (in the spare tire compartment) or the "antenna" that sits on the spoiler.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Apr 052012

Edge 6-cyl

Melted rear directional socket. It is the third time I have to change the light bulb.

- Parkland, FL, USA

Jan 212009

Edge 6-cyl

Ongoing transmission issues since purchased new. Been to repair for more than 17 days and issues still remain unresolved. Took car in for regular scheduled oil changes and approximately 30,000 miles the camphasers ( Ford admitted wrong camphasers had been installed) were replaced. Coolant problem discovered as well when vehicle engine was removed. Odd odor coming from heater, when vehicle returned after camphaser and coolant issue did not resolve situation, and vehicle returned to galpin Ford service, was told that axle and bearing were broken and that the steering wheel was not in proper position. I am deeply concerned for other Ford Edge owners as well as members of the public who may be affected by vehicle that does not properly engage and appears to stall before moving forward.... this is an enormously serious issue, that should not be ignored. Reading the prior complaints, tells me this is not a new problem, and that consumers and Ford are aware of the transmissions issues. Please assist.

- Van Nuys, CA, USA

Nov 302009

2008 Edge purchased new in 2009. Immediately noted strange surging when accelerating and braking. Concerned about transmission. Notified Ford cooperate when dealer said vehicle was performing 'normally" so concerned ceased driving on freeway. In Sept of 2011, took vehicle to be serviced. They asked that I wait even though I shared ongoing concerns. Vehicle was given to me and told that all was well. At 32000, in Dec. Of 2011 engine light came on...took to dealer who advised me they would need to keep it for some time and engine needed to be removed. 6 days later, I was notified that there was a problem with the cam phaser and also something with cooling system. Other issues that should be noted is that the battery has been replaced multiple times. The car for no reason has alarm go off. Very much concerned that information is being withheld and that this may be a common issue with Edge and perhaps there is a need for a recall. I know nothing more at this point, but will be contacting all safety organizations for more information.

- Toluca Lake, CA, USA

Jul 052011

Edge 6-cyl

The vehicle would at different times, have trouble shifting from park to reverse, in drive, etc. It sounded like the transmission was broken. This problem would arise, and then go away. The first time the dealership reset the computer, and it ran fine for weeks, then the problem came about again, and went away, the last time around Sept 18th, it was worse, so I had it towed and repaired. The dealership replaced the output shaft sensor and turbin shaft sensor at a cost of $700. I was impelled to report a concern, after seeing other concerns on line for the same issues, and a customer of mine who has an Edge is experiencing the same issues. Ford Motor Company, and the dealerships do not seem to want to seriously address this issue, and I felt like they were trying to avoid admitting to a major problem.

- Brodnax, VA, USA

Mar 182011

Repeated issue with the bulbs in tail lights burning the sockets, bulbs burn out causing the socket to get a singed appearance where the bulb fits. Bulb is proprietary to Ford so it has to be taken in and they refused to replace the socket a second time. Advised at one point that it could cause getting a ticket or rear ended and injuries. At that point they changed it out the first time. But still had the bulb burn out. The bulb has been changed about 6 times now and still having problems

- Indiana, IN, USA

Jan 262011

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the vehicle was parked when informed that dense smoke was emitting from under the hood near the battery. The fire was extinguished by a neighbor and the contact stated that the ABS warning light was illuminated prior to the fire. The vehicle would no longer operate and was towed to an authorized dealer who replaced unknown modules and the wiring harness. The contact called the manufacturer and was awaiting a response. The current and failure mileage was approximately 68,000.

- Lincolnton, NC, USA

Nov 152008

Purchased 2008 Ford Edge limited in August '10. 1 previous owner, 26K, mint condition. Supposedly battery was replaced upon purchase. Within 1 week after purchase up until present date, numerous complaints/comments were placed to 2 different Ford dealerships regarding a 'hiccup' while the vehicle is stationary and idling (random and intermittent). 1 dealership serviced the car end of August and found no problem. 2nd dealership serviced vehicle on October 13 and 14 and couldn't find problem. Vehicle broke down 1st time the day after it had been serviced, October 15th- lost complete acceleration but not battery power. Noticed wrench light and airbag lights were illuminated on dashboard as well as "odo...error". turned car off and then on and when placed in 'drive', heard a loud noise and car jerked, no acceleration, same situation when car placed in park. Dealership inspected vehicle and stated that battery terminals were completely loose (mechanic never tightened terminals upon replacement of battery and dealership admitted liability/negligence) and 'severely' corroded. Since 1st break down, same hiccup (random, intermittent) is felt and more complaints/comments were placed to both dealerships. Car was scheduled to go back for another service visit for complaint but vehicle broke down for 2nd time prior to service date with dealership.November 19th, vehicle lost acceleration, wrench and airbag lights were illuminated on dashboard and 'odo...error". attempted to place vehicle in reverse and loud noise was heard, vehicle jerked and when vehicle was placed in park, same noise and jerk. Presently the vehicle is back with the dealership for service.

- Westhampton, NY, USA

Apr 242009

Vehicle stalls while driving. I have owned the vehicle 18 months. This has happened three times. Twice at highway speeds and once on a local street. The first event the vehicle had approx 2K miles. Then again at approx 12K and 14K. When it happens the dash goes dark, you lose all power steering and brakes. Vehicle can be restarted in neutral while moving. Dealership has been unable to recreate the problem.

- Edgewater, NJ, USA