CarComplaints.com Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

9.1

2008 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Edge:

2008 Ford Edge Owner Comments

Jan 012012

Edge

Did it again. Driving at low speed (turnabout) the Edge lost power steering . This time the engine didn't appear to kill as it usually does. This is dangerous! Our car stalls out at low speeds and sometimes higher speeds. The Ford mechanics can't figure it out; they can't recreate the problem. We are losing patience.

- , Pardeeville, WI, USA

May 222009

Edge

This Ford Edge I'm commenting on was an Avis rental car. I picked it up in Portland, OR, and it died twice at stop lights on the way to pick up our group for a ride to Seattle. I called the rental place and they had no more SUVs, which I had to have. So I hoped for the best and kept it. Once on the road, we were stuck in traffic in PDX and the car died repeatedly. As others have said, the steering stopped working and I had to put it in park, restart it, and continue...until it died the next time. By far the worst time was when it died on a very steep hill at a stop light in Seattle. The problem was hit or miss (didn't die every time), but the car idled very roughly at all times. Avis, to their credit and my gratitude, took me at my word when I complained; and they took a major portion off my bill without contesting my story at all. I got the feeling they may have heard this before. I would NEVER again rent or own a Ford Edge. It was a significant and potentially dangerous problem.

- , Denver, NC, USA

Apr 242009

Edge SEL V6

3rd Time this has happened to me. I do not remember the dates and mileage to fill out additional complaints. Two months into owning the vehicle It stalled on the highway doing 60 MPH.Approx 2k miles on it. Didn't happen again for over a year. I now have had the vehicle 18 months and it has happened 2 more times. Once driving on a local street at approx. 25 MPH and Again on the Highway at Approx 60 MPH. Ford unable to recreate the problem

Update from May 26, 2009: Update:

Happened again. stalled while going around a turn at about 15 mph. 4th time since we had the vehicle. Can't wait until my lease is up.

- , Edgewater, NJ, USA

Feb 132009

Edge Limited V6

Car is driven by my Wife. Car stalled in the middle of Hway with my child on board. Very dangerous to drive and we have had 3 occurrences in less than a month. FORD Can not find problem

- , Miami, FL, USA

Feb 162009

Edge Limited V6

Car Stalled again 2 days after taking it to FORD dealer to check on same issue. No Solutions.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Oct 142008

Edge Limited V6

Two weeks after I bought this vehicle I was slowing down for a red light and the vehicle just turned off with no warning. The dash board went blank and nothing registered. I had no power steering the the brakes went stiff. I shut the car off and turned it back on and it had no problem after that. I brought it to the dealer and they cannot duplicate problem. This is a huge safety issue.

- , Pittsfield, MA, USA

Nov 062008

Edge Limited V6

The morning of November 6, 2008, I was driving my son to daycare and I was going approximately 45 mph, and my car just shut off (stalled out). I had to muscle the car over to side of road because my power steering was gone and braking got stiff. Nothing registered on the dash board, it was completely dark. I turned car off and turned back on with no problems. I drove it to the dealership where they had it for the day and it did not duplicate for them. They don't know why this keeps happening, and cannot fix the problem because nothing is registering. This is a huge safety issue. It just stalled out at 45 mph with my son in is car seat. Luckily no one got hurt!!!

- , Pittsfield, MA, USA