Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2008 Ford Edge engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Edge:

2008 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 262015

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While accelerating from a stop, the vehicle would not move and suddenly all the gauges illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle stalled and was able to be restarted. The failure recurred a couple of times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed. The vehicle was repaired, but the remedy failed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 119,000.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Mar 012015

Edge 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle suddenly would not accelerate. There were no warning lights illuminated. The contact coasted over to an emergency lane and shut the engine off. The vehicle was restarted; however, the failure recurred multiple times. The dealer stated that the failure appeared to be related to the throttle body, but there were no codes present to confirm. The mechanic also noticed that when the vehicle was shut off, the codes would reset; therefore, they were unable to locate the exact failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in Ford's csc campaign: 13B17 (engine). The approximate failure mileage was 95,000....updated 08/25/15

- Coulmbus, OH, USA

May 292015

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 45 mph, the speed decreased independently, the gauges on the instrument panel failed, and the warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road where the engine was shut off and attempted to be restarted. The engine started to make an abnormal popping sound. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 126,000.

- Rockport, TX, USA

Apr 112015

Driving and all the sudden car loses transmission capability. It shifts really hard and when at a stop have to rev the engine to get it to go at a crawl. All lights on dashboard light up - tool wrench - air bag disabled - odometer and speedometer stop working. Very dangerous in traffic!!!!

- Bono , AR, USA

Apr 072015

Edge 6-cyl

My brakes started off feeling very stiff, then would sink into floor while making a hissing sound. Often barely stopping. When stopped with my foot on the brake the engine will start sputtering like it is going to shut off, when I let off the brake it will run fine. There were no warning or indications that there was a problem and I have nearly wrecked multiple times. I contacted the local Ford service department and was informed that they have fixed this same problem in several of the Ford Edge SUVS and that it would cost between $600 and $700 to repair. If so many people are having the same issue why has Ford not put out a recall on this?

- Rossville, GA, USA

Mar 122015

Edge 6-cyl

Was driving on freeway about to exit and transmission sounded as if it got stuck on 2nd gear. Engine sounded loud at high rpms and my speed dropped. I got the vehicle towed to my well trusted mechanic and he concluded that my transmission needs to be replace. Vehicle only has 65,500 miles.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 052015

Edge 6-cyl

The water pump is located inside the engine and when a simple $160 part failed, it circulated anti-freeze through the engine necessitating a complete engine replacement. This happened within the span of 5 minutes with the first symptom the heat went off inside the cabin. No engine lights came on, the heat came back on and went off again, still no indication of engine or trouble lights going on. Then major engine failure, instantly the oil light went on and within seconds the motor overheated. There was a terrible noise as I found my way to a safe spot to stop the car. This is the most basic kind of irresponsibility in creating an expensive product like a car. American companies owe it to the public not to foist a huge design defect on an unsuspecting public and should willingly pay 100% of any and all claims for this issue.

- Northville, MI, USA

Nov 212014

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving at 65 mph, the vehicle overheated. The contact discovered that there was oil and anti freeze coolant leaking. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 172015

I just been told by koons that I would have to pay 1,300 to fix a throttle issue on my 2008 Ford Edge, which I purchased as a used vehicle labor day special 2014. The car stalls, stops, acceleration is affected. Ford knows the throttles are faulty and instead of recalling, they did a customer satisfaction and agreed to repair affected Edge from 2009-2014. This is bogus I have 2008, which that has this issue. I refuse to pay this and don't have the money to invest in junk. Koons told me because of my hesitation I was investigating in a car that has valued equity & would offer great trade. They knew..they yet put me in another dangerous car. I had accident as well, driving ca lost speed & stalled while crossing over in parking lot.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Nov 222014

While preparing to stop at a light, seemed to have lost all power. Speedometer dropped to zero, airbag light came on and odometer was blank with a readout in its place that said something like odo failure also the wrench icon lit up. Shifted to park and the car jumped and jerked and loud grinding noises came from transmission. Was able to creep to a side street. Turned off engine. Waited several minutes, restarted car and the instrument panel returned to normal. Drove home about 3 miles. Took it to shop and they said it was a shaft seal. They replaced it for $182 the part was $12. Got home and it leaks very badly it has leaked about a cup of fluid in 4 hours.(this was parked / not running) I am taking it back to the shop and hoping they can fix it right. I have been driving for over 30 years and never had this kind of problem.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Aug 022014

Edge 6-cyl

The vehicle stalls at low speeds and at red lights and stop signs without warning and without great consistency. This happens multiple times per day/trip with no resolution. Dealer and independent mechanic cannot identify the problem as no codes are thrown when it happens and it restarts after stalling. This is a significant safety issue.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jul 122014

Edge 6-cyl

Without any warning or codes, the car stopped running. Upon restart the fan ran extremely fast and loud. Upon inspection, the water pump gaskets had essentially melted, all coolant had leaked out and the entire coolant/water pump system needed to be fixed and replaced at a cost of more than $3,000. Of course the vehicle was only 8,000 miles out of warranty. I've seen at least one other complaint identical to this one. It is quoted here: "discovered my 2008 Edge has a failed water pump asy. Car overheated due to this. According to several seasoned mechanics and Ford, this should not happen to this car with this amount of mileage. The way this car was engineered, it is a $2300+ repair - for a water pump! spoke with Ford several times asking for them to step-up and take responsibility. Got no help except I should keep my receipts. Very disappointed in Ford."

- Denver, CO, USA

Sep 072014

Edge 6-cyl

Bought my 2008 Ford Edge 3 years ago with no problems. Had some work done after a wreck year and a half ago. After the repair, it began jerking whether I was on the highway or city streets. I noticed that when it jerks, I lose rpms at the same time. I have to hit the gas to get it to accelerate. Feels like the gears are slipping and it doesn't happen T consistent speeds. Some days are worse than others and some days doesn't occur at all. It will also idle rough and had before jerked when going from reverse to drive. Also, April 2014, I was backing into a parking spot when the car completely died. I turned the ignition off and then started the car again. It started right up. That is the only time that has happened.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Aug 252014

Edge 6-cyl

I was stoped at stop sign my 2008 Ford Edge with no signs of problems. When I started to pull out there was low power and the wrench signal went on. Car would not go faster then 5mph. I was very concerned for cars in back of were impatient and passing. I researched this problem on the inertnet and it seems to be happening with alot of these make and model cars.

- Lehighton, PA, USA

Feb 012014

Edge 6-cyl

When I put into gear the transmission jerks into gear. All the vehicle codes go off at once. One incident I lost power when I came to a stop at an intersection. I accelerated and vehicle hesitated to accelerate. The. Speedometer read zero and I was clearly going over 40mph. I have only had the vehicle 7mos. I took it in for service at the Ford dealer twice and was told it was nothing and that it might be the battery. Today is the final straw. I am writing this at the Ford dealer. The transmission is jerking way to much. It is unsafe to drive. And they are trying to put me in a new car..I want my car fixed..

- San Bernardino , CA, USA

Oct 172012

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road, where the contact shut the engine off and restarted it. However, once the vehicle was shifted into gear it made a loud noise and vibrated violently. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Oakland , CA, USA

Jul 122014

Edge 6-cyl

When driving the vehicle the power train problem indicator light and check engine light come on and the car loses all power. Car will not exceed 900 RPM and will barely move. I had the trouble codes read and it is indicating that the throttle is showing stuck closed and open. I believe that this is the same issue as with several other Ford models and should have been part of the extended warranty that covered the throttle bodies from several other models. This issue poses a serious safety risk do to the fact that it has happened several times and at various speeds, if this were to happen at highway speeds in heavy traffic it could be horrible. I have researched this problem extensively online and found that it is a fairly common issue with the Edge.

- Warren, OH, USA

Jun 032014

I own a 2008 Ford Edge. Recently I noticed my Edge having a hard time shifting into fast mode. I took it to the Ford dealership, nothing is wrong. Today it was horrible!!! I get to the stop light, my Edge would not "take off" like the other cars. I sat there embarrassed for two mins trying to press the accelerator, Edge finally jerked and then took off. I am very disappointed in Ford. I can't believe they have not recalled this Edge. Now, I have to pay to get Edge fixed when Ford could fix the issue, . there are thousands of people complaining about this vehicle.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 122014

Edge 6-cyl

Entering highway and auto would not shift gears or accelerate. Stayed idle at over 5 RPM's and had to pull off the road. Seemed like a transmission problem. Towed to repair shop for assessment.still at shop. This vehicle on multiple occasions before this incident has regularly engaged in a violent jerk when I have engaged it in drive or reverse. Seems like a transmission issue but dealer wont do anything unless they can duplicate problem. I have seen and know of numerous other Ford Edge owners that have had the same issue and no fix has been found or dealer and Ford wont fix unless it duplicated the issue while they have the vehicle and most times its something not covered. This is a serious safety issue and they need to be held accountable.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jun 022014

Edge 6-cyl

I see similar complaints on your web site, about rough shifting into reverse from the parked position and when backing up from the drive position. Is there a planed recall for this issue?

- Redondo Beach, , CA, USA