Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2008 Ford Edge miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Edge:

2008 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 242016

For no particular reason my Edge decelerates to ten miles an hour while the tach reads 3rpms it has happened on all types of roads and in traffic also. The tranny fluid is always fine. No codes on dash either. I have my gas pedal to the floor and it will only creep at 10 mph. When it reengages it is a large hard jerk forward. One evening as I pulled into my own driveway it wouldn't move forward at all I shut it off waited restarted it and it was like nothing happened. It does studder a bit going uphill almost like it doesn't want to go then it does. For a while I thought it was things like bad gas dirt in a fuel line low fluids but it isn't this 2008S need a recall as many other Edge owners have the same issues. I have made an appt for the car at the dealer and I am not convinced they know the answer either. I received the recall for the gas tank, but I want one for this as I and many other Ford Edge owners have the same scary power train issues reported to you NHTSA please help us. I want a recall free repairs or a trade in with out being taken advantage of because of this problem thank you saylorsburg Pennsylvania.

- Saylorsburg, PA, USA

Aug 082016

As everyone else, loses acceleration, shut off and it seems fine later. High RPM no power, as if it cant shift. No error lights, shaking along with sputtering when it has a load.....very dangerous as I drive major highway daily. Has been happening more frequently now

- Torrington, CT, USA

Aug 102016

I am having the same problems as another 2008 Ford Edge driver described on the complaint/investigation page. I am actually going to copy and paste her complaint. Driving straight on freeway at 60 mph and the dash suddenly displays odo error. Wrench light, low tire pressure light, and air bag light come on. Speedometer shows 0 mph but tach still works. After I stop the car and try to take off again it has no pickup. Transmission seems to be stuck in 5th gear or overdrive. Tach goes up to 2500 RPM but vehicle barely moves. When I shift from park to drive or reverse the engine/transmission makes a horrible clunking noise that makes me think it will come out of the body. The only way I can get the car driveable again is to disconnect battery for a few minutes then reconnect. Everything resets and works but occurs again-sometimes a week later, sometimes a couple of months later. I am afraid to drive my car, and it also happened to my 17-year-old daughter last week. My husband had to go out and disconnect the battery to she could safely drive back home. And it is very random when it happens. I drive highways and county roads for work and sometimes there is nowhere to pull over! I'm a nurse and a paramedic...I dont want to be a patient! it has to be investigated and a fix found!!! I can't afford a new car. This is definitely a safety issue!! when the other driver talked about putting into gear after the restart, the vehicle literally lurches forward or backward!!! please help!

- Sycamore, IL, USA

May 202016

I own a 2008 Edge with approx. 150,000 miles on it. The car has stalled on me 3 times in the last 3-4 months. The first time the car stalled I was on the freeway during rush hour. Thankfully I was able to restart the care and move it off to the side of the freeway before it stalled again. After having it towed, I was told that the water pump had cracked. The water pump involved a lot of labor and cost me about $1100-$1200 with the tow. About a week later, I was again driving on the freeway and the car stalled. Again, I was able to make my way off the freeway before the car died completely. Once again, I had to have the care towed. This time, I was told that the engine appeared to have coolant in the oil and created a murky goo. My engine needed to be replaced. Another $2200. The last incident was Friday, May 20th. I had no indication there was a problem of any kind. I literally drove less than half a mile when the care overheated and stalled. I called and emailed Ford to see if I could get any assistance, but have either have had no response or an email indicating that if the car is not under warranty or if no recalls have been issued, I would be responsible for any work that needs to be done. I contacted the dealership where I purchased the car, but have not received a response. I am out of money and options. I have been without a car for almost two weeks and feel incredibly frustrated by this situation. I find it absurd that a vehicle would get a blown engine with no warning and that a recall has not been issued. I am facing another $1200 or so in vehicle repairs.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

May 182016

Turned on car and put it in reverse then drive when pulling out of parking lot, . transmission made a loud "clunk". pressed hard on gas but car would barely crawl. Speedometer stopped working rpms would increase dramatically, wrench, check engine, airbag, and tire pressure lights all came on. Continuing on city street problem remained. Car eventually gained enough speed that rpms went down, but the speedometer still did not work. The next day, the problem disappeared except check engine light remains on.

- Echo, OR, USA

Sep 012015

When driving at various speeds, transmission slips out of gear. Take foot off gas then press gas and transmission jerks the vehicle hard. Once stopped, vehicle will not accelerate. Restart engine 3 times and it works. Sometimes wrench engine light illuminates.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Mar 012016

False door ajar signal, dome lights staying on even while night driving

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 072015

I was driving out of town for a work meeting with an employee. Only going approx 45-50 mph, all the sudden the speedometer drops to 0 along with the mileage on my car(just dashes), then the airbag light came on and a wrench light came on then few minutes later the tire pressure light. We were coming up on a red light so I slowed down and stopped. When the light turned green I pressed my gas pedal and the car went no where. I slowly moved to the side of the road and shut my car off. I was hoping to make it to the gas station 2 miles up the road. I waited a few minutes turned my car back on a very odd noise happened the speedometer was back on and the lights were gone, I went to put the car in D and the odd noise again, pushed the gas to accelerate and nothing. Currently my car is on the side of the road waiting a tow 1 hour away from home. I'm lucky my children were not with me when this occurred, it could have been very dangerous. This was my first experience with this, not only dangerous but very embarrassing with an employee in my car as well.

- Martinsburg, WV, USA

Jan 012015

I have a 2008 Ford Edge, I have been noticing over the past few months that at random times the car will lurch forward when accelerating as if it suddenly received a burst of speed. One day I was at a stop light and I took my foot off the brake so that I could drive and the car wouldn't move and when I pressed harder on the accelerator there was a loud bang noise that sounded like the car suddenly clicked into drive. It has been happening more and more often where it lags and sticks and lurches forward when it finally wants to go. Today, it had serious issues where I was trying to accelerate and the car was instead slowing down and lurching forward with the sound of the engine straining and making noise. I had to pull over because the cars behind me had to go around me. I was extremely nervous that the car would stall in the middle of the road or cause an accident. When I pulled over and turned the car off and then turned it back on the problem seemed to lessen I only drove at a low speed to avoid an accident. I have two children and this car is unsafe to drive. I will take it to the dealership asap. It also rolls backward on an incline. Ford needs to do a recall on this vehicle because I have done some online research today and see that many many people have experienced the same problems. This is an extremely dangerous issue and needs to be addressed.

- Redwood City, CA, USA

Sep 092015

My transmission is being replaced at 96,400 miles. I've been having intermittent problems where it would clunk when shifting to the next gear. I've paid hundreds of dollars between 2 Ford dealerships and 2 automotive repair shops just to try to figure out what the issue is. But last week as I started my 30 mile drive home, my car stopped shifting. Now I'm paying roughly $5,000 to get a transmission in my car. On top of paying $200 for a rental car during all of this. This vehicle needs to be recalled!

- Gig Harbor, WA, USA

Jun 112013

While driving on freeway with children in car on freeway, car suddenly made a hard sound, speedometer dropped to 0 instantly, all dash board lights came on, RPM stayed between 2 and 3, once traffic slowed and accelerator was eased off of car began to slow and would not pick back up speed when pressed again- even when pushed all the way down. I pulled over to the shoulder and turned the engine off. Then turned it back on. Then I tried to put it into gear. The engine sound as if gas was being given to engine from accelerator and RPM was stuck at 2-3, when put into gear, car jolted really hard and moved ever so slowely when I tried to drive it back into traffic to get my family off freeway, even when I pressed pedal all the way to the floor, car barely moved. I had to keep trying multiple times to turn engine off, try to put it in gear, and get car going just to get it off freeway to safety. Car eventually pulled into gear and drove normally after several tries. A single mother, with infant and older child on board, on a very busy freeway is very, scary scary scary. This happens often on either the freeway (driving fast) or driving out of the park's parking lot at slow pace. Car slips out of gear or something and will not accelerate when I give it gas.

- Chatswirth, CA, USA

Aug 042015

Pulling out of a parking lot turning right tried to accelerate significant amount of traffic behind me after turning and I couldn't go anywhere. Pulled into the nearest parking lot approx. 50 feet or more piled into parkin spot. Then sat for a couple inured wrench illuminated on dash board. Tried to back up to straighten vehicle and it made a loud clunk noise when putting in reverse. After turning off car went to restart after 30 minutes car made loud clunk again without being in gear. At this time it isn't a recalled item just. Tsb and not getting any resolution as to why this isnt a recall item. Approx. 45 minutes prior to this incident I was on the highway driving the speed limit. What would have happened if the failure occurred at this point. Thank god it didn't as I wouldn't be writing this letter. For the safety of others this should be considered a recall item.

- Battle Creek, MI, USA

Dec 012014

Automatic door locking once the vehicle reaches a certain low speed has failed to work on a number of occasions. Unless I am being attentive enough to notice they have not locked I'm sure there has been a number of times the doors have been unlocked for an entire trip. I assume this would be a safety issue in the event of a crash if the doors were not locked.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Nov 142012

Edge 6-cyl

Door ajar icon on all doors closed dome lights only go off when car is in motion however if you hit brakes as if your going to stop dome lights come back on.

- Fairburn , GA, USA

Jul 262014

Edge 6-cyl

I put the car in reverse and heard a loud thump thump and thought I backed into an object, but did not. When I put the car in drive, there was little acceleration even though I had the accelerator to the floor. I continued on and after a little while, about 2 miles, the car ran alright and I made it home safely. I immediately contacted the Ford dealership in town, and dropped the vehicle off this morning 7/29/2014.

- Poway, CA, USA

Jun 122014

Edge 6-cyl

Entering highway and auto would not shift gears or accelerate. Stayed idle at over 5 RPM's and had to pull off the road. Seemed like a transmission problem. Towed to repair shop for assessment.still at shop. This vehicle on multiple occasions before this incident has regularly engaged in a violent jerk when I have engaged it in drive or reverse. Seems like a transmission issue but dealer wont do anything unless they can duplicate problem. I have seen and know of numerous other Ford Edge owners that have had the same issue and no fix has been found or dealer and Ford wont fix unless it duplicated the issue while they have the vehicle and most times its something not covered. This is a serious safety issue and they need to be held accountable.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jun 102014

The "driver door ajar" message continues to go off on our 2008 Ford Edge. The door is securely closed. The lights will stay on finally causing a complete drain on our battery last night during the night. This is a big safety concern as the doors do not lock sometime until several miles down the road. We could also be left stranded somewhere as we never know when it is going to happen. We go to bed all lights are off and sometime during the night they come on. We have tried several suggestions regarding engine lubricant on the plunger, but it is a temp fix at best. This is a safety problem. I would like to have it fixed by Ford. Clearly if you do research on the internet this has been a problem with the Ford Edges for several years.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Apr 022014

A 1995 landrover ran a stoplight and T-boned my vehicle in the middle of the intersection. A second car hit the back of my car.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Apr 132014

Edge 6-cyl

While driving my 2008 Ford Edge it would not shift than a loud bang and slammed into gear, went for a short time then would not shift lights came on dash board tech reved up no speedometer.

- Monroe, NY, USA

Mar 022014

Edge 6-cyl

I have a 2008 Ford Edge. We were over an hour away from home, on a Sunday, when we stopped at a stop light and when I was taking off, the vehicle would rev but not go, then when it did engage, there was a hard thud twice. I was really afraid that we might not make it back home as well as making it through the intersection. We did make it home without further incident that day. I made an appt to take it to the dealership that I purchased it from on Wednesday. There were no incidents until Tuesday night when we were coming home from the grocery store. From a stop at a stop sign it did the same thing, but not a hard. The dealership was unable to pull any codes or get it to act up that first day. I asked them to keep it and to try once again. It did act up for the guy, but they couldn't figure out what was going on. They recommended that I take it to the Ford dealership to see if they could figure it out. I took it in today and they called to tell me that they were unable to pull any codes or get it to act up. So now I am paying them $135 just to tell me the same thing the other dealership didn't charge me for. On top of that, I drive 45 miles round trip to work 5 days a week and am afraid of this happening on the busy interstate that I travel or happening at a busy intersection. I have read many statements by people and it seems they are having the same problems with the same results...nothing! Ford needs to step up and make sure the people who buy their vehicles are happy and will return. I don't understand how the service people can't fix it without a code or even figure out what's going on. This is a scary thing and I don't have the money to pay people to tell me nothing! and then what happens when my warranty ends?! my biggest concern is safety. There are too many people writing about the same thing happening.

- Hamshire, TX, USA