7.6

2. replace door switch assembly (14 reports)
  3. replace door latch (9 reports)
  4. replace door ajar sensor (7 reports)
  5. replace sensor (3 reports)
  6. spray latch with wd-40 (2 reports)
2011 Ford Edge accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Mar 012016

Edge SEL V6

THIRD time for the same problem. When I took the car in and complained to the Ford service manager that this was the THIRD time to bring the same car in for the same issue, and that I would not be paying full price for this repair, he agreed to only charge me for the labor.

Jan 102015

Edge SEL V6

SECOND time for this problem. This time they replaced the latch

Jan 102014

Edge SEL V6

Door ajar alert, dome lights wouldn't turn off, ran battery dead

Aug 102016

Edge SEL V6

Door Ajar Alert AGAIN!!! I've had the driver door latch fixed three times, now it's the rear door on the driver's side. It's causing abnormalities with the way the locks/lights function and this morning I went out and found my car unlocked with a dead battery. I'm a single person and rarely even use the rear doors to this car! I've already spent over $1000 getting the driver's door latch repaired multiple times, and had been holding out on getting this one fixed. I hate the thought of giving Ford any more of my money to repair something that I believe is from them using substandard parts. But when the door ajar ends up killing my battery and leaving me stranded with no way to get to work, I don't have many other options. I've owned exclusively Ford since 1995, and the newer model I buy, the more issues I have.

Apr 012016

Edge SEL

Door agar light will not go off even when door is shut properly. This seems to be an on going issue with Edges and I wish Ford to do a recall on this expensive fix.

- , Cheyenne, WY, USA

Dec 012016

Edge LX 3.2L V6

It appears this door ajar sensor malfunction is a very common problem. Enough so, when I called the dealer they were able to give me a quote instantly. They said it would be $500 per door to replace the whole latch because of a defect in the sensor. I maintain my car very well. Something like this should not be a cost to the owners. If there are thousands of complaints about this happening it should be recalled and covered by ford. Over $1,000 to fix 2 door sensors is not right at all. It has drained my battery which has cost me extra money and inconvenience for being stranded in a parking garage late at night.

- , Apex, NC, USA

Nov 272015

Edge

These stupid things stay on constantly. There is no door ajar, and it makes the console lights stay on too.

I have had to replace the battery twice with the car because of this MFG defect which they won't recall.

Dealer wants $500 per door. Better to have the doors fly off while driving if it really is a problem, total car, and sue Ford for known defect.

- , Castalian Springs, TN, USA

Nov 112016

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

My door light ajar came on recently after I got a remote start put in my car. I took it back to the place that installed it and they looked it over saying they did not break anything and it had to be something else. It is happening more and more. I had to replace a battery already so I started looking on line how to fix a sensor going out. well it does not seem to be the sensor so now I have to take it a dealer to get it fixed. but with all the complaints that have been posted it seems that maybe FORD should fix it...Please help

- , Hawthorne, NV, USA

Aug 012016

Edge SE 3.5L V6

Very aggravating to drive this vehicle not knowing if the door will fly open while driving and scary to say the least. I don't feel like I should have to pay for this as it should be Ford Motor Company's responsibility!!

- , Midway, GA, US

Aug 012016

Edge SEL FWD 3.5L V6 Dohc 24v

The door adjar light is constantly on in my car even w/ the door closed. Ford corrected the problem under my warranty, but then broke the door control panel and left it that way w/out even telling me. I discovered they just stuffed it back onto the door and when I got it home noticed it. They ordered the part to replace it and it took 3 months to get from them because they continued to forget to order the replacement. 2 months after I finally got the part the door sensor came on again w/ the same problem. Now my brand new battery is drained fully and the car does not turn on because the door lights and exterior light stay on because the doors refuse to lock when the doors are closed.

- , Converse, TX, USA

Jul 012016

Edge Limited 3.2L

Went on Youtube to see what everyone else is doing, this was of course after making my wife and kids feel bad for not shutting the door properly. The f-ing interior light does not shut off until you put the vehicle in drive and start driving, which is somewhat dangerous here when it starts getting dark at 4:30pm in the winter.

Tried snapping off the switch thing inside the door latch, sometimes works, most times not. I refuse to take this into a Dealer due to their inability to just have someone come out and have a look at the car..you have to go to service, leave the keys, and be without a car for a whole day, then have some clown call you and say there's a $1,000 problem (seriously, is there a smaller amount for anything?) cost me $800 to replace a battery and a new key fob for chrissakes after I smelled an electrical short. Other than the sunroof not closing properly and this door ajar light, it's been a good car to drive. Anymore problems and I'm going back to Japanese, or will buy a used vehicle...will probably never buy a new car again

- , Edmonoton, AB, Canada

Mar 182015

Edge

I've had my Ford Egde just over 2yrs now. The BIGGEST issue I have with my car is the damn door ajar light remains on, if I open my passenger door or the back driver door (which is the worst). If I mistakenly open either door, I have to stand there for however long repeatedly opening and closing the door just so the light will go off to prevent draining my battery. It's appalling Ford doesn't consider this a safety risk as you can't lock your doors while driving if the door ajar light is on! I'm a woman and mother of daughters, I can be sitting at red light and be car jacked simply because I CAN NOT LOCK MY DOORS!!!! Hell you can't even activate the car alarm b/c of this. I have gone to the Ford dealer on several occasions only to be told the issue isn't covered under my warranty and I'd have to come out of pocket! TOTAL Bullshit! This is an issue with FORD VEHICLES PERIOD! How do you release a recall on door latches but not include ALL MODELS affected!!! By Ford neglecting to address this serious problem, I WILL NOT purchase another Ford vehicle EVER! I'm BEYOND frustrated and I've even gotten to the point to where I don't even like driving my car simply b/c I feel so limited to what door I can use! I will be placing another complaint with Ford as well.

- , Snellville, GA, USA

Nov 022016

Edge LS

We have a problem with door ajar light coming on constantly, also the check engine light is now coming on sometimes! Very annoying! We talked to a mechanic about it at our dealer and he told me for only 155 dollars he could hook it to a machine and tell us what we need to do. I'm ready to trade it in on a car!

- , Belen, NM, USA

Oct 012015

Edge SE 3.6L

I was told the second time it happened it wasn't covered by Ford. I refused to pay $400.00 for a problem they know is a problem.... I have duct tape over the interior light so when I drive I'm not constantly pissed off!!

- , Bear, DE, USA

Jul 112014

Edge Limited

Faulty sensor made it impossible to lock the doors (automatically unlocked because it thought a door was adjar, think a safety feature). Doors normally automatically lock, and unlocked automatically after a second or two. With a small child in the back seat, I ALWAYS lock my doors as an added level of safety beyond child locks. The constant ding and a door ajar indicator on the dash, was also quite annoying.

- , Small Town, MN, USA

Mar 012016

Edge

A few months ago the "Driver Door Ajar" notice started lighting up when the door was closed. It began while I was driving it, then went on to when the car was off. Initially it was just annoying, I'd close the door again and it would be fine. In recent weeks it has gotten progressively worse. It ran my battery down, thank God I was home and not stranded somewhere. I was at the store the other day and had to close it over 15 TIMES and it STILL didn't latch properly. At that point I was done embarrassing myself with this piece of sh*t and just left it. The best one was when I dropped my son off at school. I had no issue when I got into the car in the morning but when we got to school and he got out of the car (back passenger side) and closed the door the DRIVER DOOR AJAR notice came on!!! I don't know if this is a sensor problem or if the door really isn't latching but either way this is something that FORD should be taking care of and including in their recalls. Though it seemed small at first I realized that this is a major safety issue. It can run the battery down since the lights will stay on, while driving the doors will not auto-lock, and who knows if the door is going to fly open while I'm driving down the highway! I now have to go pay to get this fixed when I know there is a wider issue with my car model and many others.

- , West Orange, NJ, USA

Jul 012016

Edge Limited

Driver rear door ajar light stays on nearly every time the vehicle is started and remains on until turned off. This causes the dome light to stay on for an extended period of time every time the vehicle is turned off, which will certainly reduce the lifetime of my battery.

The lights stay on until I start moving forward and creates an unsafe situation at times after dark when in busy parking lots since the dome light won't shut off until a certain speed or RPM is hit so visibility is hindered and you feel like "that guy" who drives with interior lights on despite that not being a choice I can make.

I take my son to soccer training and after he gets out at the gate I have to more or less floor it briefly to shut the light off or I'm sitting for 90 minutes in a parking light with my dome light on before I park. Sure I can shut off the engine and wait ~10 minutes for it to turn off on it's own, but this is downright annoying.

The fix has been quoted to us between $400-600, and I'm not willing to spend that much for something so widely reported by Edge owners and what seems like a fairly easy fix. I'll simply deal with and complain to anyone who mentions "your dome light is still on" until I trade it in for a car without the issue.

Other than this and minor repairs that are to be expected with a vehicle over 133k miles, I love the car, but I guarantee my next purchase will not be a Ford and definitely not an Edge after 4.5 months (and counting) of this problem.

- , Knoxville, IA, USA

Oct 032016

Edge SEL

Door ajar light won't go off and that keeps the dome light on. It is running the battery down, which can you leave stranded and cost lots of money -

- , Mt Vernon, KY, USA

Mar 232013

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

Drivers side crapped out first then months later the passenger side. Indicator of door ajar on almost all time either passenger or drivers door or both. Has killed battery twice, have since removed all the internal lights to reduce the drain on the battery. I know all manufacturers have issues, but this one I deal with every time I get in my vehicle, it reminds me daily of why I won't buy or recommend Ford.

- , Stoney Creek, ON, Canada

Nov 132012

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

Was under warranty when first brought to the dealerships attention. They said they didn't have the correct tool to comply with the Service Letter from Ford so it wasn't addressed. Took it back to the same dealership at a later time and they had the tool and complied with the Service Letter. Same problem was back within months. Dealership said it wasn't covered under warranty and I would have to pay out of pocket. Called Ford HQ and they said it would be taken care of. The Door Ajar light is intermittent so when brought back for repair they couldn't duplicate it. Dealership said they will fix it when I bring it to them and they can see the Door Ajar light on. Happens more when it's cold out so will bring it back in when the temps drop and the light stays on.

- , Charlestown, IN, USA