2011 Ford Edge brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 152013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. While driving at various speeds, the front driver side door open warning light illuminated. As a result, the contact discovered that the front driver side door failed to latch. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the latch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. In addition, when the vehicle was taken in for inspection, the technician discovered that the brake booster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact also stated that after the vehicle was repaired, while driving at an unknown speed, the brake pedal became difficult to engage without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake booster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 5,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 292015

Edge 6-cyl

My wife was driving 35 miles per hour and tried to brake and found it non responsive so I depressed the brake several times for it to stop. Slowly drove to the Ford dealership and they informed me there was a recall on the 2011 Edge brake booster. They gave me a rental and said they would fix my car as it was non drivable. I just had this car serviced at the Ford dealership with no mention of the possible life threatening fault in the brakes. I almost wrecked. This is a serious problem hidden from us the owners of these cars. I told them there was an air noise when depressing the brake and the dealership new exactly what was wrong.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Mar 292015

Edge 6-cyl

My wife was going home and traveling approximately 45 mph. The collision avoidence lights started flashing and the brakes locked up. There were no vehicles in front of me, but she was almost rear ended from the traffic behind. The vehicle never came to a complete stop. We have had the system go off before but not to this extent. The dealer has had no complaints and cannot do anything unless the vehicle acts up.

- Apollo Beach, FL, USA

Feb 062015

Edge 6-cyl

Brake pedal is hard. Hissing sound when brake pedal is pressed. Vehicle will not stop.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 032014

Edge 6-cyl

Driving @30 mph tried to stop and brake pedal became rock hard and would not stop car rolled to slow down then applied brake and pumped pedal had to push brake with booth feet to stop no power brakes and rock hard pedal. Updated 1/15/2016

- Selden, NY, USA

Nov 122014

Edge 6-cyl

Slowing at a stop and depressed brakes. Brakes did not engage pedal became very hard to push vehicle rolled through stop. Let off brake and depressed again and brakes slowly engaged. This happened several times before I could get home to park vehicle. Did not happen at higher speeds only 30mph and below. Checked brake fluid level, ok. Pulled wheel and brake pads were fine. Will be contacting dealer to see if service advisor's have been issued.

- Pittsburg, KS, USA

Sep 252014

Edge 6-cyl

When depressing brakes while pulling into parking space, brakes became extremely stiff and had to stand on them to stop barely missing car parked in space to my front, also when coming to a stop at a stop light car was very difficult to get slowed down to a stop. Called local service tech and described issue and was told brake booster would need to be replaced and unfortunately it is on backorder.

- Corryton, TN, USA

Jul 252014

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway with my 3 kids and my wife and as I got off the exit I noticed the car wasn't braking, so as I got to the first stop left I decided to turn left and see if I could fix the problem. As I was turning the shearing wheel locked up, brakes didn't brake then the car started to shake. I almost hit on coming traffic at 40 mil per hour. As soon as the car bypassed on coming traffic a had to restart my car and it was fine. As soon as I got home, it happened again. I was about 2ft from hitting my garage door.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jul 152014

Edge 6-cyl

Brake pedal feels hard to press and does not stop my vehicle. Some other times the pedal feels spongy and without braking power. At the same time as pressing the pedal I could hear a hissing noise, brought the car in to the service center I was told that there is a national backorder on the brake booster part, they can not give a date that the part will be available.

- Nutley, NJ, USA

Jun 242014

Edge 6-cyl

While driving my wife's 2011 Edge, when applying brakes heard a vacuum leak in the floor board area and the brakes were none responsive. Increased pressure on the peddle and brakes locked with a jolt. These seems to be a common issue with the Edge. Please review complains and issue a warning to drivers of this vehicle or issue a fix to the problem.

- Ft Worth, TX, USA

Apr 012014

Edge 6-cyl

While backing out of a parking space, the brake pedal was hard to push and the vehicle was slow to stop. The car started to stall and a warning "low engine oil pressure" was displayed, then the car recovered when in drive. Approximately a week later, the brakes were again hard to push while backing out of a parking space. In the following week, the same issue occurred multiple times. Last week, the brakes became hard to push and the vehicle was slow to stop while in drive. I have parked the car until service can be performed. Fluids and brake pads have been checked and are not the issue. In searching the web and various Ford forums, and speaking with a mechanic, it appears to be a brake booster issue. The car is a 2011 model with <24,000 miles and is three months out of manufacturers warranty.

- Germantown, TN, USA

Apr 192014

Brakes are stiff on start up then spongy after depressing them. Also making a squealing noise when pressed to the floor. Braking is affected at slow speeds so far.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Apr 142014

Edge 6-cyl

On or about January 21, 2014, I received a letter from Ford regarding customer satisfaction program 13N02. After reading the letter, I realized that I was experiencing 2 of the 3 symptoms noted in the letter(spongy feel when applying brakes and increased amount of pedal effort required to stop car). I called my local dealer and they said to bring it. On Monday, January 27, 2014, I took the car in to the dealership. They tested the brakes and they claim that they could not duplicate the problem and therefore refused to fix the problem. I called Ford headquarters and reported the problem to them also. Because it was not a recall, but a service advisory, they said that there was nothing they could do about the problem because they could not duplicate the symptoms at that time. I told both the local Ford dealership and Ford headquarters that I'm still having the problem whether or not they could duplicate the problem. I also asked both of them if they were waiting for someone to have an accident before they did anything about the problem. Well, as a result of Ford's unwillingness to fix my brake problem, I got into a car accident on Monday, April 14, 2014. I applied the brakes on my car and the car would not stop; and I rear-ended the car in front of me.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Feb 112013

At 44460 miles the above parts were replaced and now on September 23, 2013 some of the same parts have failed again. The cost of the original repair was $410.62. I believed at the time of the original repair that all or a good share of the cost should have been covered by Ford!!! there definitely a problem with these brakes. Scrape, scrape, scrape!! there needs to be a design change in the brake parts. Our other cars have now brake problems such as the above. Ford needs to own up to the fact that they have a poor design or a poor selection of components. Other than the above, I have been very satisfied with the Edge

- Ludington, MI, USA

Sep 172013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the brake failed to engage without warning and emitted a hissing noise. The contact was able to stop the vehicle by depressing the brake pedal several times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 53,000.

- Ogema , WI, USA

Jun 302013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while traveling 55 mph and attempting to decelerate, the brakes failed to respond. The contact also mentioned that a hissing noise was heard from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the vacuum for the brakes had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 36,847.

- 1206 Valley View Dr, TX, USA

Feb 122013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the contact heard a grinding noise coming from the brakes. A private mechanic inspected the vehicle and advised that the rear passenger's side interior brake pads did not have any padding and penetrated the rotors. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician advised that both rear rotors needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 51,000. The VIN was not available.

- Napa, CA, USA

Feb 022013

Edge 6-cyl

I pulled into a parking space. Felt the car move forward. Immediately turned the steering wheel to avoid the car directly parked in front of me. Accelerating to 25-30 miles per hour and not knowing what was happening, steered the car up the parking lane into a snow-covered field, circled and came back into another row of the parking lot. I had my foot on the brakes the whole time. When I got to the end of that row and realized I had no brakes, finally threw it in park. The car stopped, gears grinding. The vehicle maintained the same speed the whole time. If there would have been people or other car movement at the time, I don't know what would have happened. Ford inspected the vehicle and found nothing.

- Avon, OH, USA