2011 Ford Edge drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Nov 052015

Edge 6-cyl

While driving the car will suddenly lose power ( not accelerate ). the wrench light will come on. You must try to safely coast to side of road and turn ignition off and restart. This happens intermittently and is very dangerous in heavy traffic and at higher speeds. This has occurred on interstate highway and city driving. Dangerous also when there is not enough room to pull off road safely. We have taken car to Ford dealership but they cannot find problem. We have noted on the internet that a lot of other Ford Edge drivers are also having this issue. I would think that Ford Motor Company would be aware of this problem. I would hope that this issue will be addressed before someone is seriously injured or killed. This has happened 6 times from 11/30/2015. It also happened over a year ago 4-5 times and Ford could not find problem. Thank you

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Aug 282015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle lost power. In addition, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate and the service vehicle soon warning light illuminated. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Oct 262015

My husband and I were driving home (going approximately 40 mph) with our 2 year old and all of the sudden the car lost power. It did not die but wouldn't go over 5 mph. Thankfully, we were close to home and not on a busy highway. If we had been on a busy highway I do believe it would have cause an accident and that terrifies me since this is our primary family vehicle. I have read that Ford extended the warranty for this issue but was not made to issue a recall. Unfortunately, Ford Inc's "customer satisfaction program" for this issue expired in January 2015 so now I will be out the money to fix this extremely dangerous issue. Ford Motor Company should be made to issue a recall to fix this issue before it kills someone.

- Mayfield, KY, USA

Oct 232015

This is the second report I have made about this issue. The first was on/about set. 26, 2015. When I was driving, the car in motion, the power train malfunction indicator (a wrench) comes on, the car loses all power, goes down to perhaps 2 miles per hour, and then stops. It feels as though the power steering also goes out. When the car stops, it shakes and jerks. You cannot accelerate. I turn the motor off and then on, "resetting" the indicator (per the Ford dealership). And the issue stops. It has happened again today, Oct. 23rd. Twice (in the morning and again this afternoon). I called sam galloway Ford in fort myers, fl and was told to bring it in on Nov. 4th. Again, today is Oct. 23. I was told, by danielle (service advisor), that "since it is not happening all the time it was fine to wait" until Nov. 4, 2015. I am afraid to drive this car this is a safety issue for me, anyone I have in the car, and other drivers. Are you going to wait until someone gets killed because of this issue" I am on busy roads when this happens. Why don't you do something???"

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Oct 212015

Wrench warning light, then lost acceleration, car stopped. Driving on highway when this occurred.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Oct 092015

On a Friday afternoon in busy, fast moving highway traffic, I began a lane change to turn right off of the highway onto a neighborhood street. My car jolted then abruptly lost all acceleration. I did have electrical power and power steering, but no speed. I was able to creep along at snail pace staying to the far right. I put on my flashers, and fortunately all traffic behind me could safely manuever around to pass me. I was quite scared by the sudden onset of this problem, the loss of control and the fact that the instrument panel only gave me "wrench" symbol and no instructions or descriptions that were helpful. Once I turned the car off and turned it on again, the symbol light was gone and my car drove normally. At no time prior to this event did my instrument panel denote any issue with my power train. Once I had this failure, I took the vehicle to my dealer, maxwell Ford in austin, and they informed me this is an event that they have seen before. I am reporting it to you because I feel this was a very threatening situation. Losing all ability to accelerate put me at risk of being hit from behind. I was lucky to be going off the highway to the right...a left turn would have been fatal in this circumstance, as there was no way to accelerate and clear myself from oncoming traffic. This issue should be addressed by Ford before someone gets killed.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 022015

I was driving at 35 mph when my car jerked and lost all power. I had to coast off the road without any steering capability. A wrench symbol appeared indicating a problem with the AWD or power train. I had the car towed to my mechanic who could not find a problem and my car stored no codes for diagnostics.

- Lugoff, SC, USA

Aug 312015

When driving the car, it just periodically lost acceleration ability. I was driving about 35-40 mph when it happened the first time. I then coasted into a parking lot off the road and shut off the car for a few minutes. At that time the wrench symbol came on the display referring me to my manual for further information, which told me that it was a powertrain problem and to contact a dealer for service. It then started fine and I was able to drive it for some time. The next day the same thing happened. I then had a few days of normal driving, and then it happened again but this time it seemed to just decelerate more rapidly (unable to coast to a stop), it just stopped but was still running. I then shut it off and then started it back up and drove it home where I left it until being able to get into a shop for service which was a week later. At the time of this problem, the powertrain warranty was available until June, 2016 or 60,000 miles. At this time the car had approximately 51,700 miles on it. Ultimately the problem was diagnosed as a bad throttle body which was not covered under the powertrain warranty and the cost of repair was $548.14 at a local Ford dealership. This appears to be the same problem that the 2011 Ford escapes had for which the warranty was extended.

- Sylvania, OH, USA

Oct 012015

Vehicle completely lost power while driving 45 mph on busy 4 lane road with no shoulder. Yellow wrench lit up on dash and car completely and immediately shut down leaving me without the ability to steer and safely remove the vehicle off of the road (I was almost rear-ended and a car had to swerve to keep from hitting me). This happened twice in 8 hours. Car has been maintained, had fuel, new battery, etc. With no other warnings or indicators. This issue is very dangerous!

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Sep 232015

I was driving, at 40 miles per hour, on a city street. The yellow/gold indicator (a wrench) appeared. The car immediately lost power, going from 40 to 20 miles per hour. This happened in less than one minute. I pulled on to a side street, turned off the engine, and checked to owner's manual. It said :power train malfunction". the instructions said to stop driving and call roadside assistance. I did this. I called Ford roadside assistance and then called the dealership. I wanted to know if it was safe to turn on the car's air conditioning. I was told, "yes" this is safe. The tow arrived 65 minutes later and took the car directly to the dealership. After three days of going over the car, driving it, contacting Ford, the (Ford) dealership could not find the problem. I was told to drive the car and if this happened again, to bring the car directly to the dealership, and do not turn off the engine. How am I to drive the car when the car is in this condition" how can I drive on a city highway or an interstate, where the speed is high and have this happen again? how can I safely drive my grandchildren in this car" I called Ford, but of course they didn't know anything. I want the CEO mark fields and the executive chairman, william clay Ford, jr. To tell me: 1. would you feel safe in this car; 2. how can you employee so many engineers (product development, etc.) and not have solved this problem?

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Sep 112015

While driving at highway speeds, a "AWD off" message appears in the message center, accompanied by a wrench icon indicating a powertrain malfunction. The engine speed drops to a rough idle which is not affected by the accelerator pedal. The car then coasts to a stop. There is no loss of power steering or power brakes. Turning off and restarting the vehicle clears the error and makes the car operable again. This issue occurred on 9/11/2015 & 9/14/2015

- Nevada, IA, USA

Aug 272015

Driving aprox. 40 mph wrench light comes on, call dealership to see what would cause it. They say to keep driving until the check engine light comes on and then bring it into be checked (100.00). Check engine light came on 3 days later, I had a little computer it read code P0744, torque converter clutch circuit intermittent, generic code for power train problem. Took it to Ford dealership they said their computer was reading that code as well as needing a new PCM (powertrain control module). This is costing aprox. $655 and they are not sure if that is the only thing it needs, once this is fixed the computer could read something else. The dealership also gave us a printout stating this is a common and known problem with the Ford Edge 2011-2012. Called Ford Corp. They were not very helpful other than suggesting filing a complaint. We were told this problem could shut the car down completely while driving, it makes me a little scared to drive it, I don't need it breaking down with my child in the car. Not happy with paying $100 to be told it's going to cost another $650 and it may not even fix the problem.

- Greensboro, PA, USA

Aug 282015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. While driving at approximately 35 mph, the power train warning light illuminated and the AWD off message appeared. The engine then began to sputter and stalled. The contact maneuvered off the road and was able to restart the engine. The vehicle was towed to the dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Wappingers Falls, NY, USA

Jul 102015

This problem happened a Friday night while driving home on a dark road. My car began to shake then no longer would driver and the wrench tool light came on. I had to pull over to the side of the road, put the car in park and turn the car off. After restarting the car, everything seemed to work fine, until it happened again, this time I noticed that the car had 50 miles to go before empty.

- Lake Park , FL, USA

Jul 242015

Edge 6-cyl

About 2-3 weeks ago, while driving in the outer banks, nc, I had a sudden loss of power in the vehicle and an yellow wrench sign came. Luckily, I was able to pull off the road and shut the car off. Once restarted, it worked ok. I went to cavalier Ford dealer at portsmouth, va and they could not find anything wrong. Since there was no recall or mention of this problem from Ford, I was told not to worry about it. Today, while driving with my wife and daughter, I had complete loss of power with the yellow wrench sign again. I had to pull on the wrong side of the road with hazard lights on. Again, we were lucky that we did not get hit. When restarted, I was able to drive back home and take my wife's car. I am taking the Ford Edge to the dealer again. I am letting you know that, when I googled for similar problems, there were plenty of complaints on this model vehicle. You can find these reports on the link below: \25\15 updated 12/1/2015

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Jul 192015

Edge 6-cyl

My wife was driving on a surface street with our infant boys in the back seat. Without warning, the 2011 Ford Edge lost all power and the engine vibrated intensely. It could have caused a serious collision. She restarted the car and tried to make it home safely and slowly. It happened again on the way. The next day (7/20/15), when we drove the SUV to the dealership, it happened a 3rd time. Galpin Ford (N hills, ca) diagnosed it with a faulty throttle body, not covered by our 7-year powertrain limited warranty. This is a certified preowned Ford Edge that we purchased a little over a year ago. Throttle bodies should not fail with 45K miles on the car. And, it should be covered by the warranty, or better should be a recall. The loss of power is a dangerous problem that Ford should take responsibility for.

- Tarzana, CA, USA

Jul 192015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. While driving at an unknown speed, the AWD and check engine warning lights illuminated. The vehicle failed to accelerate. The contact was able to maneuver to the emergency lane. The contact shut off the vehicle and was able to restart the engine, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 33,800.

- Taducah, KY, USA

Jun 082015

Certified pre-owned 2011 Ford Edge limited AWD. Purchased in Nov. 2014. On Monday, June 8, 2015 as I was driving at 55 mph, a light came on on the left hand side of the instrument panel. The light said "AWD off" and had a little wrench symbol on it. The car abruptly lost power and I just coasted out of the way of traffic and onto the side of the road because there was no shoulder. I tried to press the gas pedal but nothing happened--there was no acceleration. My vehicle essentially "died" without warning in traffic. Weather conditions were sunny about 85 degrees. The radio and ac worked, but the gas pedal did not. The vehicle sounded like it was going to stall out and was sputtering as I coasted. I put the vehicle in "park" and turned the vehicle off. I waited several minutes and restarted the vehicle. Vehicle seemed to work ok and no warning lights came back on afterwards. I called the dealership and arranged for me to have my car inspected for the cause of this malfunction. I paid $111.30 for the vehicle to be hooked to a diagnostic machine but the dealership was unable to get any "codes" from a diagnostic reading nor could the dealer replicate the warning light to come on. On June 24, 2015 the same issue happened again. I took a photo of the light on the dash, sent it to dealership. Third time happened on Friday, July 10, 2015 and I was on the highway in the passing lane and had to coast across the slow lane to get out of the way of traffic so I wouldn't cause an accident. Again, I took photos of the odometer and the "AWD off" light and sent to dealership. Dealership sys without a code from diagnostic machine, they can't tell what is wrong. Fourth time happen last night, July 14, 2015. This is a huge issue as from researching on the internet, a lot of other Ford Edge owners experienced the same problem! please help! I feel like I'm getting no help!

- Monroeville, NJ, USA

Jul 012015

Ford Edge suddenly lost power ( vehicle still running). No response from accelerator even though vehicle was still running. Had to roll to side of road (very unsafe). A warning light briefly came on showing ":AWD off" and after a few seconds warning changed the "wrench" icon. This happened a second time just a few hours later. I scheduled appointment with dealer for the next day, and it happend again on the way to the dealer. Dealer ran codes, all passed and couldn't find issue. It happened again 10 miles after picking up from the dealer. Rescheduled for next day with dealer. Issue happened yet again on the way to the dealer. Once again dealer could not find issue or any error codes. In summary, it happened 5 times in less than 30 miles of driving. This vehicle is not safe to drive.

- Tacoma , WA, USA

Jun 202015

Vehicle lost power pulling out in traffic (so glad I didn't get hit), would not accelerate and the yellow wrench appeared on the instrument panel. Only way to correct problem was to restart engine (this happened 3 times trying to get home). The third time the service engine soon light came on and I was able to pull the codes and had a P2111 and a P2112. After looking into this issue it looks really common why would they not recall it like the Ford Fusion?

- Spring Hill, FL, USA